What Happens if you fail your final year?

Watch
DSC_C-137
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I started studying a Master's degree in chemistry in 2014 (an integrated 4 year course). It started off well, i got a 1st in my first year and a 2.1 in my 2nd year (which is worth 20% of the degree), but in my 3rd year my mental issues really started to take hold of me. I had pretty heavy depression and ended up scraping a 2.2 at the end of my third year (51% I think it was, and my third year is worth 40% of my degree). But despite my mental problems i didn't see anyone or even speak to anyone else about it. So in October 2017 I started my 4th and final year. A large part of this year is an experimental project. At this point my mental state was continuing to deteriorate and my attendance and work level was dipping even more. Come November of 2017 I got to a point where i had no motivation for anything, i felt hopelessly depressed and could barely read a paragraph of text, my attention/concentration was so bad. I ended up breaking down in my supervisors office. After that i finally told my parents about my health and saw a doctor and was diagnosed with moderate to severe depression. I've been taking anti-depressants ever since and also have been having therapy. Initially my depression continued to worsen and in February/March I deferred my study until the next academic year (October 2018). Though I'm better than I was I was still not well. For my project I've done a lot of background reading and completed a literature review for my project but at a slow pace. I've done practically no lab work. My therapist has said this is basically because of residual bad experiences essentially. I had such a bad time with lab work last year because of my mood that i felt unbelievably overwhelmed and think I'm basically inept and **** at lab work. I'm basically worried about going back into the lab. It's been so long, I'm worried what people will say and wether they'll ask me why I've been missing for over a year (the PhD students that are still there). I'm worried I'll mess everything up and basically I'm scared, as pathetic as that sounds. Now I'm at a point where I feel like my productivity and motivation has come back to a decent level, on bad days I'm still managing to kind've power through and get some work done. I feel ready again, like I can study. But it's way too late to complete my project. I don't really know what to do. I could try and extend it, but since I've already deferred once I'm worried they wouldn't let me do that. If I can't then I fail the project, therefore I fail the year and don't get the masters. Would I then have wasted 5 years of my life. I know that say if you do a bachelors degree and don't pass or drop out in the 3rd year you get like a higher education certificate if you've completed 1 or 2 years of the degree successfully. Say if/when i fail this year would I have nothing to show for it or would they award me with a bachelors degree instead as i successfully passed/completed the first 3 years of the course (which is the equivalent of a bachelors)?

Tl;DR
I'm doing a 4 year integrated masters course. I've completed 3 years of it (equivalent of a bachelors) but I'm probably gonna fail this final year. If i fail would I simply be awarded a Bachelors degree, or would I get nothing at all?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DSC_C-137)
So I started studying a Master's degree in chemistry in 2014 (an integrated 4 year course). It started off well, i got a 1st in my first year and a 2.1 in my 2nd year (which is worth 20% of the degree), but in my 3rd year my mental issues really started to take hold of me. I had pretty heavy depression and ended up scraping a 2.2 at the end of my third year (51% I think it was, and my third year is worth 40% of my degree). But despite my mental problems i didn't see anyone or even speak to anyone else about it. So in October 2017 I started my 4th and final year. A large part of this year is an experimental project. At this point my mental state was continuing to deteriorate and my attendance and work level was dipping even more. Come November of 2017 I got to a point where i had no motivation for anything, i felt hopelessly depressed and could barely read a paragraph of text, my attention/concentration was so bad. I ended up breaking down in my supervisors office. After that i finally told my parents about my health and saw a doctor and was diagnosed with moderate to severe depression. I've been taking anti-depressants ever since and also have been having therapy. Initially my depression continued to worsen and in February/March I deferred my study until the next academic year (October 2018). Though I'm better than I was I was still not well. For my project I've done a lot of background reading and completed a literature review for my project but at a slow pace. I've done practically no lab work. My therapist has said this is basically because of residual bad experiences essentially. I had such a bad time with lab work last year because of my mood that i felt unbelievably overwhelmed and think I'm basically inept and **** at lab work. I'm basically worried about going back into the lab. It's been so long, I'm worried what people will say and wether they'll ask me why I've been missing for over a year (the PhD students that are still there). I'm worried I'll mess everything up and basically I'm scared, as pathetic as that sounds. Now I'm at a point where I feel like my productivity and motivation has come back to a decent level, on bad days I'm still managing to kind've power through and get some work done. I feel ready again, like I can study. But it's way too late to complete my project. I don't really know what to do. I could try and extend it, but since I've already deferred once I'm worried they wouldn't let me do that. If I can't then I fail the project, therefore I fail the year and don't get the masters. Would I then have wasted 5 years of my life. I know that say if you do a bachelors degree and don't pass or drop out in the 3rd year you get like a higher education certificate if you've completed 1 or 2 years of the degree successfully. Say if/when i fail this year would I have nothing to show for it or would they award me with a bachelors degree instead as i successfully passed/completed the first 3 years of the course (which is the equivalent of a bachelors)?

Tl;DR
I'm doing a 4 year integrated masters course. I've completed 3 years of it (equivalent of a bachelors) but I'm probably gonna fail this final year. If i fail would I simply be awarded a Bachelors degree, or would I get nothing at all?
I would recommend talking to your personal tutor or someone from your department as each university will have their own policy about when a student fails the year.

Also, talk to someone about your project to see what you can do first. Although you have deferred your work already, it might be possible to extend the deadline if they are aware of what you have been going through.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (137)
28.48%
No - I have already returned home (65)
13.51%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.33%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.36%
No - I live at home during term anyway (141)
29.31%

Watched Threads