I think I may have accidentally plagiarised something, what should I do? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Recently I submitted an essay and I got a decent mark, but after looking at the feedback on Turnitin I realised a big mistake. I referenced an external source which was a literary article, and quoted part of it that I wanted to use for developing my argument. However, at the time I must have thought what I quoted encapsulated my argument completely, but I realised I used another component of the author's idea about 'returning' to someone, and put it in different words! I completely didn't realise I did this, as I thought the first quote I referenced would have been enough to indicate this section of the argument was not my opinion but someone else's. However, my seminar leader thought it was my own idea!

Here is an example:

"Mary-Jane in the novel is the physical manifestation of his ideas" (I referenced here, footnoted it, bibliography etc...)

To me this suggests the character is a metaphor in some way, yet what I read further on is that "Mary Jane and Tim have sex and become one". Now I think this is where I plagiarised, because I think I unwittingly took this idea and placed it in the context of other evidence I had found in the book, about Tim holding Mary close instead of sex. Yet it's still the same idea, does this mean it's plagiarism?

I'm so worried I plagiarised someone else's work and will be expelled. It was only one sentence and I didn't even agree with the essay, I was using it mainly to take issue with, but now I'm so confused as my writing isn't that clear anyway!

Any advice would be great, I'm terrified!!
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Recently I submitted an essay and I got a decent mark, but after looking at the feedback on Turnitin I realised a big mistake. I referenced an external source which was a literary article, and quoted part of it that I wanted to use for developing my argument. However, at the time I must have thought what I quoted encapsulated my argument completely, but I realised I used another component of the author's idea about 'returning' to someone, and put it in different words! I completely didn't realise I did this, as I thought the first quote I referenced would have been enough to indicate this section of the argument was not my opinion but someone else's. However, my seminar leader thought it was my own idea!

Here is an example:

"Mary-Jane in the novel is the physical manifestation of his ideas" (I referenced here, footnoted it, bibliography etc...)

To me this suggests the character is a metaphor in some way, yet what I read further on is that "Mary Jane and Tim have sex and become one". Now I think this is where I plagiarised, because I think I unwittingly took this idea and placed it in the context of other evidence I had found in the book, about Tim holding Mary close instead of sex. Yet it's still the same idea, does this mean it's plagiarism?

I'm so worried I plagiarised someone else's work and will be expelled. It was only one sentence and I didn't even agree with the essay, I was using it mainly to take issue with, but now I'm so confused as my writing isn't that clear anyway!

I doubt anything will happen. I assume the marking has been done and the marks have been ratified anyway.

Try not to worry about it - it's all done anyway.
Sonja_f
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
with turnitin my tutor will access this when marking so I would think if it was plagiarism they would of picked it up already
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Blue_Cow)
I doubt anything will happen. I assume the marking has been done and the marks have been ratified anyway.

Try not to worry about it - it's all done anyway.
Thank you, I was thinking I should visit my tutor to just make sure? I do feel guilty but if it seems fine then I'll try not to worry about it! Maybe it's not as serious as I thought!
Blue_Cow
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you, I was thinking I should visit my tutor to just make sure? I do feel guilty but if it seems fine then I'll try not to worry about it! Maybe it's not as serious as I thought!
Nah, no need to bring it up.
Den987
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Here is an example:

So what plagiarism % did you get on Turnitin?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Sonja_f)
with turnitin my tutor will access this when marking so I would think if it was plagiarism they would of picked it up already
I hope so, that's just made me realise that if I'd have made it too close to what they were saying the first time, then they may have picked up on it. I might go to my tutor to make sure, but I think you're right actually!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Den987)
So what plagiarism % did you get on Turnitin?
It wasn't flagged at all, I don't think I got one? I was just looking at my essay afterwards a few days later by myself!
Den987
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It wasn't flagged at all, I don't think I got one? I was just looking at my essay afterwards a few days later by myself!
Turnitin will say your ''similarity %", and that is from the report generated. Try checking where you submitted your essay. It should say it before you click "view".
Anonymous #1
Turnitin will say your ''similarity %", and that is from the report generated. Try checking where you submitted your essay. It should say it before you click "view".
I'm not sure where you mean, I access it from Moodle, there's a link has my grade next to it. If I click on that link I go to the feedback studio! Where do I click view?
Den987
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not sure where you mean, I access it from Moodle, there's a link has my grade next to it. If I click on that link I go to the feedback studio! Where do I click view?
When I submit my assignments to Turnitin, I would automatically get a similarity report. When I try to access the submit point for that particular assignment, it will then show the % similarity, and if i click 'view', it will show where it thinks I got any 'similar' content from with it underlined.
Anonymous #1
When I submit my assignments to Turnitin, I would automatically get a similarity report. When I try to access the submit point for that particular assignment, it will then show the % similarity, and if i click 'view', it will show where it thinks I got any 'similar' content from with it underlined.
I don't have that, maybe my university doesn't allow us to see them? I can only see the grade, 'submit paper', the date it was submitted and my ID. I will try to find it and will let you know if I do! From what I've heard on here if it was plagiarism they would have picked up on it by now!
Den987
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don't have that, maybe my university doesn't allow us to see them? I can only see the grade, 'submit paper', the date it was submitted and my ID. I will try to find it and will let you know if I do! From what I've heard on here if it was plagiarism they would have picked up on it by now!
So have you already received your grade and everything else?
Anonymous #1
So have you already received your grade and everything else?
Yep! I was happy with it but it wouldn't be the same with a plagiarised section :/ our university takes a month to mark all our essays, so it has been moderated! it's a tiny thing I noticed when looking at the feed back, but I thought maybe I'm not deserving of the grade if it's there, maybe they just missed it!
Sataris
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Yep! I was happy with it but it wouldn't be the same with a plagiarised section :/ our university takes a month to mark all our essays, so it has been moderated! it's a tiny thing I noticed when looking at the feed back, but I thought maybe I'm not deserving of the grade if it's there, maybe they just missed it!
You are too good for this world

It sounds like a very minor case anyway, if indeed it even is really plagiarism
Sonja_f
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
on turnitin where you press submit or upload I cant remember theres a blue bar at the bottom and it usually says the % or once you open it you can look through all the similarities on the side bar I'm sure your fine you know,
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Den987
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
They would have checked for any plagiarism before giving you the grade. Since you have already received it, they have already looked at that and found nothing worth mentioning, so you are fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (146)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.91%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (133)
16.9%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.36%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.78%
How can I be the best version of myself? (240)
30.5%

Watched Threads