The difference between phenyl and benzene

Watch
abdullah1443
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is the difference between phenyl and benzene. Take Noradrenaline and DL-phenyalanine, why is DL... a phenyl while in noradrenaline its benzene.
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by abdullah1443)
What is the difference between phenyl and benzene. Take Noradrenaline and DL-phenyalanine, why is DL... a phenyl while in noradrenaline its benzene.
Phenol is c6h5oh and benzene is c6h6
abdullah1443
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous1502)
Phenol is c6h5oh and benzene is c6h6
Thanks for your response. However, DL-phenyalanine is called phenyl and and has no OH, also phenol is different than phenyl.
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
1-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-2-aminoethanol
vs
2-Amino-3-phenylpropanoic acid
?
abdullah1443
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
1-(3,4-dihydroxyphenyl)-2-aminoethanol
vs
2-Amino-3-phenylpropanoic acid
?
Hmm, for noradrenaline, Google and several other programs say 4-[2-amino-1hydroxyethyl]benzene-1-2-diol. Is this incorrect? For DL threonine is 2-Amino-3-phenylpropanoic acid which I agree with.
Pigster
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hmm, for noradrenaline, Google and several other programs say 4-[2-amino-1hydroxyethyl]benzene-1-2-diol. Is this incorrect? For DL threonine is 2-Amino-3-phenylpropanoic acid which I agree with.
Are you arguing with Wikipedia?
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think phenyl- is just a prefix which means, ''I'm taking this compound you already know about and adding a benzene group to it.'' So chemically I don't think there is a difference.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah, my post above is basically right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenyl_group

Technically benzene means C6H6 and phenyl means C6H5--, with the -- meaning a bond to the rest of a larger molecule. (The bond doesn't actually come from the hydrogen, of course.)
abdullah1443
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pigster)
Are you arguing with Wikipedia?
https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/com...ne#section=Top

and google....

https://www.google.com/search?client...j0.iBpE8tjgO7s

Thank you!! 😊😊
DSC_C-137
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
phenyl is basically just the prefix for a benzene ring being present in the molecule, when it comes to naming the compound,
abdullah1443
Rep:
?
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Yeah, my post above is basically right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenyl_group

Technically benzene means C6H6 and phenyl means C6H5--, with the -- meaning a bond to the rest of a larger molecule. (The bond doesn't actually come from the hydrogen, of course.)
This looks most accurate so far, since it works for my example too, the DL phenyl is c6h5 and functional group attatched. I think if there is no functional group attatched it is benzene and if there is 1 functional group it is phenyl and then more than 1 like 2 or 3 functional groups attatched it becomes c6hn where n is less than 5 and is called benzene again.

Thak you!! 😁
T.a1_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My teacher told us that the difference between phenyl and benzene is that benzene is the only thing that reacts, whereas a phenyl is if there is another functional group that is more reactive than the benzene part i.e. phenylamine - the amine part is the functional group that is more reactive and any chemical reactions would happen because of the amine group rather than the benzene.
Idk if that makes sense or not lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15.1%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
31.88%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.75%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.72%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.7%
I think it's an unfair expectation (74)
24.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.01%

Watched Threads