not having many friends so far into first year? Watch

GCTJ2345
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
so I started university in September, and everything was really good with my course and flat, meaning that i felt like I had a lot of friends. However overtime some of us drifted apart, don’t get me wrong I do have a couple of friends still but I just feel like I don’t have many. I know I should have joined more clubs etc during freshers but now it’s too late and I have to just make do.

It’s scaring me that we are so far into first year of university and I’ve not got many close friends to hang out with etc. I try with the girls on my course that I was close with during the first term but they all seem so much closer now, even living together next year (something they did without me, even though they originally asked). They all seem so much more exclusive so it’s hard to hang out with them, especially when it’s always me making the effort. So I guess all I’m asking is this normal to feel like you’ve not got many friends when it looks like everyone else has? And does it get better, like do you make friends in 2nd year?

Any advice would be great.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by GCTJ2345)
so I started university in September, and everything was really good with my course and flat, meaning that i felt like I had a lot of friends. However overtime some of us drifted apart, don’t get me wrong I do have a couple of friends still but I just feel like I don’t have many. I know I should have joined more clubs etc during freshers but now it’s too late and I have to just make do.

It’s scaring me that we are so far into first year of university and I’ve not got many close friends to hang out with etc. I try with the girls on my course that I was close with during the first term but they all seem so much closer now, even living together next year (something they did without me, even though they originally asked). They all seem so much more exclusive so it’s hard to hang out with them, especially when it’s always me making the effort. So I guess all I’m asking is this normal to feel like you’ve not got many friends when it looks like everyone else has? And does it get better, like do you make friends in 2nd year?

When I started university, the people who I made friends with near the start weren't really friends at the end of first year. I think this is common as university goes on. Some of the people we just drifted apart, and others moved away (they were on an exchange program). I felt like I hadn't really made any good friends up until December/January time as some people I had met in societies invited me to hang out more and we eventually lived together in second year with their other friends. In second year, I grew closer to these other friends and all of us are still friends now.

It may seem like everyone has a lot of friends when you are on the outside looking in, but honestly, it doesn't matter how many friends you make. Sometimes all you need is a few good friends. It is perfectly possible to make friends from this point and in second year. I would suggest getting more involved in societies as this can be a great way to widen your social circle.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by GCTJ2345)

Hey! It is really hard and your not alone, a lot of people feel like this. Keep try and you will find someone you click with well! I met my best friend in second year, they mix the classes up so you get to meet more people! Also im sure you can still join societies, have a look and double check!
Sophia
Anonymous #1
Report 7 months ago
I feel the same really. I'm currently in my first year as well and I am HONESTLY so excited to graduate in 2021. I had made two friends in the beginning and one of them were very close to me but she ended up leaving the uni, I am now left with my other friend who I hang around with. She is hardly ever in so I am practically on my own. I don't even know what todo for the remaining years, I am hoping that as the years go on I will magically run into a group of people who end up being my friends. I am also hoping that my university does a similar event like they did with freshers fair. I would love to have a second try at joining up for societies and actually sticking to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (148)
19.15%
Labour (328)
42.43%
Liberal Democrats (156)
20.18%
Green Party (42)
5.43%
Brexit Party (21)
2.72%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.39%
SNP (9)
1.16%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.78%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)