Why should we choose fairtrade chocolate? Watch

chelseadagg3r
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This year, Fairtrade Fortnight is focussing on cocoa.

Farmers of this much-loved and much-used product have seen prices fall to crisis levels in the last few years, making life incredibly difficult for them. This is especially true in West Africa where most cocoa is grown.

The drop in cocoa prices means it’s more important than ever to shout about why choosing Fairtrade is so important, but we need to go further. We need to encourage more people, businesses especially, to choose fairtrade and make a livable income a reality for cocoa farmers.

Do you think about the ethics of the food you buy? Have you heard of Fairtrade before?
DrawTheLine
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by chelseadagg3r)
This year, Fairtrade Fortnight is focussing on cocoa.

Farmers of this much-loved and much-used product have seen prices fall to crisis levels in the last few years, making life incredibly difficult for them. This is especially true in West Africa where most cocoa is grown.

The drop in cocoa prices means it’s more important than ever to shout about why choosing Fairtrade is so important, but we need to go further. We need to encourage more people, businesses especially, to choose fairtrade and make a livable income a reality for cocoa farmers.

Do you think about the ethics of the food you buy? Have you heard of Fairtrade before?
I've heard of it but I don't think it's well labelled on packaging. I don't really think about the ethics, no. I probably should. I have the assumption that if I start searching for totally ethical brands, my food bill would double or triple. As a student I just can't afford that.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Kinyonga
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I always buy the Fairtrade option if there is one, and always try to opt for the organic fruit and veg and dairy products. One thing which annoys me though is that at least here the Fairtrade and organic bananas come in these useless plastic packets, which isn't very helpful considering I want to minimise plastic consumption.
Kinyonga
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kinyonga)
I want to minimise plastic consumption.
Yep, really bad for my digestion.
anonymous1231231
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
When I'm not broke af I like to do so, but shops do a sh*tty job of promoting fairtrade products.
CoolCavy
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I've heard of it but I don't think it's well labelled on packaging. I don't really think about the ethics, no. I probably should. I have the assumption that if I start searching for totally ethical brands, my food bill would double or triple. As a student I just can't afford that.
Yeh same, i would love to buy everything ethically but living on £20 a week is hard enough as it is, just couldnt afford it
chelseadagg3r
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Kinyonga)
I always buy the Fairtrade option if there is one, and always try to opt for the organic fruit and veg and dairy products. One thing which annoys me though is that at least here the Fairtrade and organic bananas come in these useless plastic packets, which isn't very helpful considering I want to minimise plastic consumption.
Yeah the plastic thing really annoys me too! I'm really lucky because as of Friday we'll have two small zero waste shops here. They don't do fresh food though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (68)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.19%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (81)
18.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
14.12%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (46)
10.65%
How can I be the best version of myself? (132)
30.56%

Watched Threads