I want to take off my hijab Watch

wiseoldlady
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have worn it since I was 7/8, now I'm turning 18 and don't even believe in Islam anymore so don't see the point of wearing it. I didn't think it through back then being as naive as I was, I really regret it.

My mum is a really strict muslim, I asked her how she would react if I decided to take off my hijab and she became really angry and said she would never talk to me again. I really love her but it isn't easy at all. Even if she did accept it the rest of my relatives would shun me and I know this from cousins who took it off. It didn't go well.

I'm thinking of applying for uni in another city through adjustment, I would have applied before but my parents said no. It's all really daunting seeing as my grades aren't great and I would have to hope for accommodation.

What do I do, life seems really hopeless and I feel as if I have no agency.
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by wiseoldlady)
I have worn it since I was 7/8, now I'm turning 18 and don't even believe in Islam anymore so don't see the point of wearing it. I didn't think it through back then being as naive as I was, I really regret it.

My mum is a really strict muslim, I asked her how she would react if I decided to take off my hijab and she became really angry and said she would never talk to me again. I really love her but it isn't easy at all. Even if she did accept it the rest of my relatives would shun me and I know this from cousins who took it off. It didn't go well.

I'm thinking of applying for uni in another city through adjustment, I would have applied before but my parents said no. It's all really daunting seeing as my grades aren't great and I would have to hope for accommodation.

What do I do, life seems really hopeless and I feel as if I have no agency.
Disown her first. You don't need people in your life who are that controlling.
Nobody101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm in the same position, I don't even believe in religion and I got the same reaction when I asked my mum what she would do if I decided to take it off. I wore it at the age of 5 and I didn't have a choice, even now my family and the whole community will disown me if I take it off. Stay strong, do what's right for you, And if moving to another city for university will take the burden off you then so be it, your health is more important and it will be a relief
Rainfall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ok well then just wait till you move out. You can wait a few months. Move out anyway. Any parents who would disown their child for taking off their hijab are stupid parents anyway and you’re better off without them.
wiseoldlady
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
It's not that simple. My mum has really poor health I can't just abandon her she's done a lot for me.

But at the same time yes, she is very controlling. She won't let me go out at all and forces me to wear hijab and abaya (black dress), controls who I'm friends with and forces me to pray. I know she cares about me but I am just so confused about how to go about this.
Hypothalamus77
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your life is your own and so the decisions are your own. You are obviously not a child anymore and you can stand for yourself. Make sure you try to explain your choice to your mother as best as possible. No matter if it doesn't go well, you mustn't feel guilty for being yourself!
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you don’t want to hurt your mum right now then you might have to keep wearing it until you have your own money and own flat. Then you can ditch that cloth.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (30)
13.1%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
9.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.83%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (32)
13.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (27)
11.79%
How can I be the best version of myself? (69)
30.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise