123Reeta
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, I'm considering beginning one degree, then transferring to another, as the title suggests. The two possible scenarios are A) transferring from one (in England) degree to an equivalent one in a different uni (in Scotland), or B) transferring from one degree to another slightly different but related degree (they're both to do with language) within Scotland. I'm hoping to transfer into the 1st year of the degree. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice on this or tell me where and when I could get more info on it. Thanks in advance for any help!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 123Reeta)
Hey, I'm considering beginning one degree, then transferring to another, as the title suggests. The two possible scenarios are A) transferring from one (in England) degree to an equivalent one in a different uni (in Scotland), or B) transferring from one degree to another slightly different but related degree (they're both to do with language) within Scotland. I'm hoping to transfer into the 1st year of the degree. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any advice on this or tell me where and when I could get more info on it. Thanks in advance for any help!
Info on transfers here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1781424
University Transfer FAQ

First question: why?

Second question: are you aware of the different fee/loan arrangements in Scotland? Are you Scottish or EU or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
123Reeta
Rep:
?
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Info on transfers here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1781424
University Transfer FAQ

First question: why?

Second question: are you aware of the different fee/loan arrangements in Scotland? Are you Scottish or EU or something else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The why is a bit complicated, it's to do with personal circumstances.

Yeah, I know about the funding arrangements in Scotland. I'm a Scottish student, but there's a larger variety of appropriate courses in England, hence the possibility there. Thanks for the link!
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The why is a bit complicated, it's to do with personal circumstances.

Yeah, I know about the funding arrangements in Scotland. I'm a Scottish student, but there's a larger variety of appropriate courses in England, hence the possibility there. Thanks for the link!
Ok, so if you are doing well at an English university and need to transfer to a similar course at a Scottish university there's a reasonable chance you can transfer into year 2 or even 3. I'm sure you know Scottish courses are usually a year longer than English university courses.

If this is a likely scenario it may be worth contacting a few universities now to discuss the possibility...
123Reeta
Rep:
?
Ok, so if you are doing well at an English university and need to transfer to a similar course at a Scottish university there's a reasonable chance you can transfer into year 2 or even 3. I'm sure you know Scottish courses are usually a year longer than English university courses.

If this is a likely scenario it may be worth contacting a few universities now to discuss the possibility...
Thanks! I hope this isn't a bother to ask, but you don't happen to know if universities would be likely to allow you to transfer into 1st year? Although I get that it isn't necessary to do so. No worries if you don't know, though, and cheers for the info you've already given me!
mr_carrot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Another thing to remember is that Scotland has a separate SCQF credit system, so it may be difficult to transfer credits. I'm transferring from a Scottish university to one in England, but they are unable to recognise SCQF credits.

Universities will of course let you restart your degree from first year, but you need to be aware of any potential funding issues if you take that option.
123Reeta
Rep:
?
(Original post by mr_carrot)
Another thing to remember is that Scotland has a separate SCQF credit system, so it may be difficult to transfer credits. I'm transferring from a Scottish university to one in England, but they are unable to recognise SCQF credits.

Universities will of course let you restart your degree from first year, but you need to be aware of any potential funding issues if you take that option.
Thanks!
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks! I hope this isn't a bother to ask, but you don't happen to know if universities would be likely to allow you to transfer into 1st year? Although I get that it isn't necessary to do so. No worries if you don't know, though, and cheers for the info you've already given me!
There may be funding problems going into Year 1 in Scotland if you have completed Year 1 in England.(equivalent to Year 2 in Scotland).
123Reeta
Rep:
?
There may be funding problems going into Year 1 in Scotland if you have completed Year 1 in England.(equivalent to Year 2 in Scotland).
Will look into that. Thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (72)
15.42%
Uncertainty around my education (79)
16.92%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (42)
8.99%
Isolating with family (28)
6%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (19)
4.07%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (38)
8.14%
Loneliness (46)
9.85%
Financial worries (16)
3.43%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (46)
9.85%
Exposure to negative news/social media (33)
7.07%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (48)
10.28%

Watched Threads