Rejected by UCL having the best marks possible Watch

OussamaRakye
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello,
I am from Spain and I have been rejected by UCL. I dont really know why as I have 10 out of 10 in all my subjects. They told me "your application was not quite as strong as that of others", but what the hell. I cannot get better marks, it is literally impossible. Would you know then why did that happen?
akerlofnash
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by OussamaRakye)
Hello,
I am from Spain and I have been rejected by UCL. I dont really know why as I have 10 out of 10 in all my subjects. They told me "your application was not quite as strong as that of others", but what the hell. I cannot get better marks, it is literally impossible. Would you know then why did that happen?
I don’t know how the other parts of your application look like, but certainly the fact that you are from the EU must have been a deciding factor. They only have quotas regarding the home students they accept, so many times when it comes to choose between a EU and a non-EU student they prefer the latter (for obvious reasons ££). Don’t worry to much about it as the system isn’t the fairest, you seem an amazing applicant.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by akerlofnash; 3 weeks ago
amihalo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Because they probably have hundreds of applicants with 'the best grades possible'. They don't have places for all of them.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello,
If your grades were the best possible, then it must have been another part of your application that let you down. What other things did you need submit alongside your grades?
OussamaRakye
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
If your grades were the best possible, then it must have been another part of your application that let you down. What other things did you need submit alongside your grades?
They asked my teacher which marks of maths I was going to get as prediction. And it was 10 out of 10 too.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
They asked my teacher which marks of maths I was going to get as prediction. And it was 10 out of 10 too.
Did you need to provide a personal statement or any other documents with your application?
OussamaRakye
Rep:
?
(Original post by akerlofnash)
I don’t know how the other parts of your application look like, but certainly the fact that you are from the EU must have been a deciding factor. They only have quotas regarding the home students they accept, so many times when it comes to choose between a EU and a non-EU student they prefer the latter (for obvious reasons ££). Don’t worry to much about it as the system isn’t the fairest, you seem an amazing applicant.
Thanks for your answer!
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Er, no they don't.
OussamaRakye
Rep:
?
Did you need to provide a personal statement or any other documents with your application?
Yeah I had, as usual
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Yeah I had, as usual
That may be where your application was weakest then.
OussamaRakye
Rep:
?
That may be where your application was weakest then.
Well, what I dont understand its that Cambridge (much better) gave me the opportunity to do two interviews and one test (I have been rejected, but I understand them, I did it horrible). Cambridge receives better applicants and I got further with them, and UCL directly rejected me.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well, what I dont understand its that Cambridge (much better) gave me the opportunity to do two interviews and one test (I have been rejected, but I understand them, I did it horrible). Cambridge receives better applicants and I got further with them, and UCL directly rejected me.
Many similar decisions are made every year.
Jjrharper56
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Must have been the personal statement. Grades is only part of it. Passion and character are big factors too.
kirigiri
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
it might be the course you applied for; maybe it's more competitive at UCL than cambridge. or perhaps cambridge had space for more EU students. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
to be totally honest with you, it probably was your personal statement; your english grammar isn't perfect (although i don't know if this was also in your ps, to be fair) so that may have let you down.
Last edited by kirigiri; 3 weeks ago
OussamaRakye
Rep:
?
(Original post by kirigiri)
it might be the course you applied for; maybe it's more competitive at UCL than cambridge. or perhaps cambridge had space for more EU students. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
to be totally honest with you, it probably was your personal statement; your english grammar isn't perfect (although i don't know if this was also in your ps, to be fair) so that may have let you down.
My grammar isn't perfect, but my English teachers has it. So she corrected my PS. And being honest I don't think it was horrible (being impartial). I also said that I had extracurricular things.
YaliaV
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m not sure if it’s possible to obtain feedback. You could ask.
PjdeP
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My grammar isn't perfect, but my English teachers has it. So she corrected my PS. And being honest I don't think it was horrible (being impartial). I also said that I had extracurricular things.
UCL ain't an easy university where did you apply you get an offer there is huge competition so it ain't deep. Move on, or reapply next year.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello,
Dont worry someone else was very unhappy with the same earlier. They did a perfect application and everything about them was perfect but they got rejected. It isnt done on just grades, they have the reference, the ps and your extra curricular s to consider. get some feedback as am sure others have told you.
Jjrharper56
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Don't let it knock you down. Try other uni's and just keep reapplying. I have no doubt I will get many knocks too.

So many apply but so few spaces. So they can be ultra fussy and most will have top grades.
Doones
  • Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello,
For which course?

And you haven't achieved those grades have you? By the sound of it they are predictions. There are lots of applicants with high predictions, not all will get offers.

They only have quotas regarding the home students they accept
No there isn't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Sat, 7 Sep '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed