Is intelligence the same as being thoughtful?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've always been called either very thoughtful or intelligenc, but I wonder whether they are similar?
Omega01
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've always been called either very thoughtful or intelligenc, but I wonder whether they are similar?
My gut says no, as being thoughtful involves more of an emotional capacity and being generous. Intelligence is more academic, or actually more just spotting patterns if you've done an IQ test.
That being said, having emotional intelligence involves knowing what to say in tough times etc, and being thoughtful in terms of doing a generous action when someone needs it does also show 'non-conventional' intelligence that can't be measured but is more useful. Being able to empathise with someone whether for a debate or in life can get you a long way socially and it's just as valuable.

A very long ramble but alas, hope this helps.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Omega01)
My gut says no, as being thoughtful involves more of an emotional capacity and being generous. Intelligence is more academic, or actually more just spotting patterns if you've done an IQ test.
That being said, having emotional intelligence involves knowing what to say in tough times etc, and being thoughtful in terms of doing a generous action when someone needs it does also show 'non-conventional' intelligence that can't be measured but is more useful. Being able to empathise with someone whether for a debate or in life can get you a long way socially and it's just as valuable.

A very long ramble but alas, hope this helps.
I had a very similar idea, but I became confused when my professor said I was very thoughful in my essays which sounded like it was in an academic context. I often am told that I am perceptive, and stuff, but sometimes I don't understand what skill that specifically involves. Any ideas? Thanks for the wonderful response, too!
kkboyk
Badges: 21
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
No they're completely different. Being thoughtful is demonstrating thought or careful considerations while intelligent is of high or especially quick cognitive capacity. Usually people use 'thoughtful' as a synonym for being considerate.
Ben878
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Think Omega has put it quite well. I Don't think they are the same (but related)

I see intelligence as something just given by fate, and I see thoughtfulness as a virtue, whereby virtues are made in the process of development.

I remember a particular quote which also makes me feel thoughtfulness is not quite the same as intelligence: "If I always appear prepared, it is because before entering on any undertaking I have meditated long and have forseen what may occur. It is not genius what reveals to me what I should do; it is thoughtfulness and meditation" - Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by Ben878; 3 years ago
Anonymous #1
Thank you guys
Camryn0903
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Intelligence Is IQ
thoughtfulness is about emotions so EQ and usually people with high IQ have lower EQ and vice versa... so if anything I would say that they are actually more on opposite ends of the spectrum... but that doesnt mean someone with a high IQ cant also be thoughtful like you say you have been called... and that someone with high EQ also cant be intelligent... so idk... you're just a good person 👌😊😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.47%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (43)
25.9%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.2%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.42%

Watched Threads