Can you repeat year and do a LPC Watch

goonerwzy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey,

I’m abit confused. I’m looking to transfer to a new university and restart my degree after one year (which means I’ll technically be repeating a year)

If you repeat a year of your undergraduate degree do you still qualify for postgraduate funding under SFE to do a legal practice course or a masters. Someone told me that if you repeat a year at uni you won’t get funding for a masters course
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Undergrad studies don’t affect your eligibility for a postgraduate loan (unless you study an undergrad masters degree).

The PGL is only available for masters degrees- it isn’t available for the lpc.
goonerwzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Undergrad studies don’t affect your eligibility for a postgraduate loan (unless you study an undergrad masters degree).

The PGL is only available for masters

degrees- it isn’t available for the lpc.
So how do people get LPC funded?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by goonerwzy)
So how do people get LPC funded?
Savings, family, studying part time while working, sponsorship from employers.

There’s a couple of courses that are a masters degree with LPC making up part of the course that are eligible for a postgraduate loan (but that barely covers the fees so students taking that route still need another source of funding to cover living costs).

The qualifying process for solicitors is changing - it may be that by the time you graduate from your undergraduate degree the LPC doesn’t exist at all in its current form.
goonerwzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Savings, family, studying part time while working, sponsorship from employers.

There’s a couple of courses that are a masters degree with LPC making up part of the course that are eligible for a postgraduate loan (but that barely covers the fees so students taking that route still need another source of funding to cover living costs).

The qualifying process for solicitors is changing - it may be that by the time you graduate from your undergraduate degree the LPC doesn’t exist at all in its current form.
Oh wow, thanks for your help and clarification. I actually never knew this. I worked with someone who got funding for their LPC but i just remembered now they did a LLM incorporation or something like that so technically it was a masters degree.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by goonerwzy)
Oh wow, thanks for your help and clarification. I actually never knew this. I worked with someone who got funding for their LPC but i just remembered now they did a LLM incorporation or something like that so technically it was a masters degree.
Either way restarting your undergrad degree won’t affect your eligibility for any available postgraduate funding. Make the most of the extra year to get involved with networking opportunities and work experience/placements (or just saving money!).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (166)
18.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.17%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.54%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.5%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.61%

Watched Threads