Life at Penryn Campus, Cornwall, Exeter University...boring? Watch

Mildly Gross
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I put down Exeter University as one of my UCAS options. I'm very happy with the course and I think that if I get an offer then I'll be putting it down as my first choice.

However, studying for my course means that I'll be living in the Penryn Campus which is in Cornwall, almost a 2 hour drive from the main campus in Exeter.

The campus in Cornwall seems quite small compared to the main campus, and potentially isolated from the rest of the UK. I'm worried the campus will simply be too small and cut-off to be a fully enjoyable place to spend crucial years of my life.

Can any of you who have studied or are studying there please comment on my impressions? Can you confirm them, or am I being a pessimist?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Mildly Gross)
I put down Exeter University as one of my UCAS options. I'm very happy with the course and I think that if I get an offer then I'll be putting it down as my first choice.

However, studying for my course means that I'll be living in the Penryn Campus which is in Cornwall, almost a 2 hour drive from the main campus in Exeter.

The campus in Cornwall seems quite small compared to the main campus, and potentially isolated from the rest of the UK. I'm worried the campus will simply be too small and cut-off to be a fully enjoyable place to spend crucial years of my life.

Can any of you who have studied or are studying there please comment on my impressions? Can you confirm them, or am I being a pessimist?
Have you asked in the Exeter forum?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
swanseajack1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Penryn campus is quite remote. It is a hillside campus just outside Penryn and about 4 miles from Falmouth. There are regular buses to Falmouth and other towns like Truro. It is a beautiful campus very green. It is shared with Falmouth university who have more students there than Exeter. Depending on your preferences you are likely to either live it or hate it. Falmouth is a small town and reminds me of Aberystwyth or Bangor. Some love them. Others find them too small. It depends what you want. Do you want a beautiful campus near a historic seaside town or are you looking for a more lively city. Its location can be a strength and a weakness and it is some way from most parts of the UK.
Chanpanda
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't study at Penryn but I live in Cornwall. You might like studying here or you might not. It just depends on what you like. Personally I love living in Cornwall but I know people who can't wait till they leave for uni.

What type of place do you want to live in? If you want a place with a lively atmosphere then Cornwall most likely isn't for you.

If you have any other questions about life in Cornwall I'll be happy to answer them.
Mildly Gross
Rep:
?
Oh there's a forum! I'm completely new to this site. I literally only made an account to ask that question, but yeah I'll check there
Mildly Gross
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chanpanda)
I don't study at Penryn but I live in Cornwall. You might like studying here or you might not. It just depends on what you like. Personally I love living in Cornwall but I know people who can't wait till they leave for uni.

What type of place do you want to live in? If you want a place with a lively atmosphere then Cornwall most likely isn't for you.

If you have any other questions about life in Cornwall I'll be happy to answer them.
Many thanks for the help. I'm definitely not into lots of partying and nightclubs, although I know I would enjoy a little bit of nightlife every now and again. What should I expect?

If I get an offer, hopefully there will be an Applicant Day where I can visit the campis - that seems to be what is most recommended.
Mildly Gross
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Penryn campus is quite remote. It is a hillside campus just outside Penryn and about 4 miles from Falmouth. There are regular buses to Falmouth and other towns like Truro. It is a beautiful campus very green. It is shared with Falmouth university who have more students there than Exeter. Depending on your preferences you are likely to either live it or hate it. Falmouth is a small town and reminds me of Aberystwyth or Bangor. Some love them. Others find them too small. It depends what you want. Do you want a beautiful campus near a historic seaside town or are you looking for a more lively city. Its location can be a strength and a weakness and it is some way from most parts of the UK.
Thanks for the insight. I'm not the type to go to many clubs so that won't be a problem. On the other hand, isolation may be an issue. Do you know if the campus is well connected to any other larger towns and cities via transport like trains etc.?

One thing that I've realised is an issue is the quality of the teaching, since it's likely that all of Exeter's best is on the main campus. Could this mean that, if I end up going to the Cornwall Campus, the quality of learning will be below that of the main campus?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks for the insight. I'm not the type to go to many clubs so that won't be a problem. On the other hand, isolation may be an issue. Do you know if the campus is well connected to any other larger towns and cities via transport like trains etc.?

One thing that I've realised is an issue is the quality of the teaching, since it's likely that all of Exeter's best is on the main campus. Could this mean that, if I end up going to the Cornwall Campus, the quality of learning will be below that of the main campus?
Please see my pm
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

Some courses will be better than others in that regard. Another issue might be the lack of module choice compared to Streatham.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Some courses will be better than others in that regard. Another issue might be the lack of module choice compared to Streatham
The course have far fewer students than Streatham so that can be a benefit as well.
Mildly Gross
Rep:
?
Please see my pm
I have seen it. It was extremely useful!
Mildly Gross
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Some courses will be better than others in that regard. Another issue might be the lack of module choice compared to Streatham.
That's true, although I've heard that a lot of courses related to mine are at the Penryn Campus, and also my course is only at that campus so the only modules on offer are the only ones possible when going into that subject.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
That's true, although I've heard that a lot of courses related to mine are at the Penryn Campus, and also my course is only at that campus so the only modules on offer are the only ones possible when going into that subject.
In that case my comment is irrelevant!
Chanpanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Many thanks for the help. I'm definitely not into lots of partying and nightclubs, although I know I would enjoy a little bit of nightlife every now and again. What should I expect?

If I get an offer, hopefully there will be an Applicant Day where I can visit the campis - that seems to be what is most recommended.
I'm not too sure what's available close to the campus but pubs are common everyone and most towns will have a club or something similar.

There's lots to do apart from nightlife as you're going to be pretty close to a beach and some other nice natural spaces. Shopping will most likely be worse than where you're from but Truro is the best place due to the variety of shops. If you want bigger chain stores than you could always catch a train to Plymouth.

Yeah I would recommend going to an applicant day and see what is available around the campus.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Chanpanda)
I'm not too sure what's available close to the campus but pubs are common everyone and most towns will have a club or something similar.

There's lots to do apart from nightlife as you're going to be pretty close to a beach and some other nice natural spaces. Shopping will most likely be worse than where you're from but Truro is the best place due to the variety of shops. If you want bigger chain stores than you could always catch a train to Plymouth.

Yeah I would recommend going to an applicant day and see what is available around the campus.
I've given OP a detailed response by PM. My son is currently in Penryn on a Phd following an integrated masters at Exeter. Penryn campus is on a mountain top above Penryn. It is about 4 miles from Falmouth which is really nice has lovely beaches cafe's and bars. It has shops. There is a 10 minute bus service between the campus and Falmouth town centre. Some of the buses go to Truro and others to Redruth. We weren't impressed with Penryn town. Falmouth is a lot nicer and there is more there. The big issue is the distance from the rest of the UK but that only matters when going to university or coming home. The other issue is the campus is quite small but that has the benefit of much smaller class sizes than Streatham. There are more students from Falmouth university than Exeter there. The club scene isnt Bristol but then that doesnt appear to matter to OP. visiting is essential and I suggest staying in a Falmouth hotel for a couple of days to look around the area.
Chanpanda
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've given OP a detailed response by PM. My son is currently in Penryn on a Phd following an integrated masters at Exeter. Penryn campus is on a mountain top above Penryn. It is about 4 miles from Falmouth which is really nice has lovely beaches cafe's and bars. It has shops. There is a 10 minute bus service between the campus and Falmouth town centre. Some of the buses go to Truro and others to Redruth. We weren't impressed with Penryn town. Falmouth is a lot nicer and there is more there. The big issue is the distance from the rest of the UK but that only matters when going to university or coming home. The other issue is the campus is quite small but that has the benefit of much smaller class sizes than Streatham. There are more students from Falmouth university than Exeter there. The club scene isnt Bristol but then that doesnt appear to matter to OP. visiting is essential and I suggest staying in a Falmouth hotel for a couple of days to look around the area.
Thanks for the info, never really knew much about Penryn as I don't go there often.

I agree Falmouth seems better for students than Penryn as there's just more going on there and the town caters to students more.

I agree with the isolation as I've never really visited many other places in the UK but I think most of that is my family's choice as my friends travel around the UK a fair amount. But the good thing with the isolation is that you get to know a lot of people and there is a friendly atmosphere (at least where I live).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads