The Student Room Group

DofE

Hi, I’m 15 years old and this is my first post so sorry if this in the wrong place.

Last year I started my DofE bronze with one of my friends through my local scouting group. On the second training session I was not able to get to the meet-up location due to heavy snow etc. This led me to believe I was far behind the rest of the team and that I would not be able to contribute to the team effectively during the expedition, (due to only having one training session prior to the expedition). Since I felt like this and I was not encouraged to continue with the expedition by my parents, I let the leader though of my intentions to quit. Due to this, I felt so embarrassed which led me to also quitting my scouting group. After I stopped, my best friend also stopped, which led me to feeling like I was a let down for him.

Recently, I have been feeling really bored of not doing something “productive” and I feel like starting DofE again would help me to overcome this, I also am very keen keen to start training for my PPL (Private Pilots License) , however after some consideration, I fell like I am too young for this and would benefit from completing the training after GCSE’s.

If I do restart DofE I will have to find another group because I would feel too embarrassed to go back to my old one. Would I benefit more from DofE bronze or Silver? My friends aren’t doing it, so I won’t know anyone in either stage. Do you think I would pick up a lot from doing DofE bronze again (since I only had one training session)?

Overall, do you think it is wise for me to pursue my flight training or DofE?

Thanks, Aaron
Reply 1
Original post by aarondw83
Hi, I’m 15 years old and this is my first post so sorry if this in the wrong place.

Last year I started my DofE bronze with one of my friends through my local scouting group. On the second training session I was not able to get to the meet-up location due to heavy snow etc. This led me to believe I was far behind the rest of the team and that I would not be able to contribute to the team effectively during the expedition, (due to only having one training session prior to the expedition). Since I felt like this and I was not encouraged to continue with the expedition by my parents, I let the leader though of my intentions to quit. Due to this, I felt so embarrassed which led me to also quitting my scouting group. After I stopped, my best friend also stopped, which led me to feeling like I was a let down for him.

Recently, I have been feeling really bored of not doing something “productive” and I feel like starting DofE again would help me to overcome this, I also am very keen keen to start training for my PPL (Private Pilots License) , however after some consideration, I fell like I am too young for this and would benefit from completing the training after GCSE’s.

If I do restart DofE I will have to find another group because I would feel too embarrassed to go back to my old one. Would I benefit more from DofE bronze or Silver? My friends aren’t doing it, so I won’t know anyone in either stage. Do you think I would pick up a lot from doing DofE bronze again (since I only had one training session)?

Overall, do you think it is wise for me to pursue my flight training or DofE?

Thanks, Aaron

That’s such a shame, I’m sorry you’ve had such a bad experience :frown:
I think the best course of action is to wait until sixth form and then start DofE silver. If you enjoy this kind of thing it’s even more fun to go for three days as opposed to two, and of course looks better on CVs etc. Many Sixth Forms offer DofE as part of their curriculum, but if not I’ve seen many online advertisements/opportunities for places training for DofE, so that’s also an option.

If you’re eager to get out and do things, the summer would be a perfect opportunity to do some of this stuff independently. You can organise hiking with friends, or even pick up a new skill/ try volunteering. That way if you do end up doing DofE you will have already completed some of your sections, or at least started them, and if not you’ll have some extra experience!
Overall, I think the potential lesson to learn here is the cascade of consequences that can result from a single uncontrollable factor (the weather), and your individual response at each critical moment. Personally, I think there’s an unfavourable disparity between how the DofE is valued by participants and employers respectively. I’d invest the time in your peer group (rather than DofE or expensive flight training), as the next couple of years will be a rite of passage.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending