diksha2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hey guys!

Diksha here!

So I'm doing my geography revision and I'm stuck with this particular question:
explain why ecosystems tend to form broad belts across the world from east to west,parallel,to the the lines of latitude.

I really hope someone can help!

I'm so screwed for geography,like there's so much to cover and I feel like I've left geography revision too late.

Also,as a bonus,I'd be ecstatic if you guys could share your geography revision methods with me because I don't think reading the textbook and revision guide is doing the trick...

Thanks so much in advance!

Diksha x
Juneaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I like to make mind maps from my text book
username4153272
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What exam board are you doing? x
diksha2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by Juneaa)
I like to make mind maps from my text book
Yeah,I like this idea but there's so much content!

Thanks for your reply!

Diksha x
diksha2002
Rep:
?
(Original post by secret.user)
What exam board are you doing? x
AQA
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
i wasn't on aqa for gcse geog so i couldn't help you w your q unfortunately but in terms of revising for the subject, i did tons of practice questions and learnt the diagrams off by heart and ended up with a 9. geography's all about practice and knowing your case studies really well!
lewis.h
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by diksha2002)
Hey guys!

Diksha here!

explain why ecosystems tend to form broad belts across the world from east to west,parallel,to the the lines of latitude.

I'm so screwed for geography,like there's so much to cover and I feel like I've left geography revision too late.

Also,as a bonus,I'd be ecstatic if you guys could share your geography revision methods with me because I don't think reading the textbook and revision guide is doing the trick...

Diksha x
I firstly recommend revising by flashcards over mindmaps as personally mindmaps or practise Questions are what you use to test yourself of what you know - not to learn the content. But some people like to visualise the content and remember it visually; it’s all about preference. Oh. And do lots of practise Questions.

To answer the question, I think it’s do do with:
• they form at mid latitudes as suns rays are most concentrated there (1 mark)
•water vapour is heated and so evaporated, giving heavy precipitation (1800-2000mm annually) as well as hot temperatures (28-30°C on average annual, I believe, it might be 26-28°C, it’s one of the two though.) (Maybe 1 mark; this is more to aid your understanding)

•the pressure belts (the Hadley Cell) at such mid latitudes mean that the air can distribute upwards (this is probably the hardest part of the WHOLE AQA GCSE - so don’t worry if this sounds stressing as it may take some time to wrap your head around - just go through it with your teacher). This means that dry conditions aren’t formed on the equator as rising vapour is not forced downwards by air, which would give dry conditions, it instead moves upwards with the air due to the Hadley Cell pressure belt and it can therefore reach the upper atmosphere, condensing, to give the rich tropical rainforest climate, as heavy precipitation would fall subsequently. (3 marks)

this occurs all over midlatitides which explains why rainforests are located all across mid latitudes. (1 mark)

TBH, AQA had a lot of stick from schools for last years Paper. I (hope they won’t ) don’t think they will give probably the hardest possible question on the GCSE to students when they were slammed for the difficulty last year. They could be much nicer this time round, which is great for students
Iamcharlieg1
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by diksha2002)
Hey guys!

Diksha here!

Diksha x
This is due to the areas on the earth having high and low pressure are where certain ecosystems form such as low pressure creates rain and therefore rainforests. They are distributed in sort of lines because the areas of low and high pressure are distributed in lines across the earth. See the general circulation model
Aayush :)
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
explain why ecosystems tend to form broad belts across the world from east to west, parallel,to the lines of latitude.

Is this a 4 marker or an 8 marker ? I think it's more likely to be an 8 marker, so i'm going to advise as such. I didn't do AQA. I did Edexcel B. I'm hoping the AQA exams weren't too different.

Regarding this, this is entirely about the optimal conditions for each type of biome (which is a large scale ecosystem). If you use a rainforest as an example, rainforests require a combination of high atmospheric humidity, consistently high temperatures all year round with little seasonal variation and high levels of sunlight on an annual basis. These conditions are only found near the equator (you must explain why that is, with reference to the movements of the intertropical convergence zone). Since these conditions aren't found at higher latitudes, rainforests do not form there.

As a more general answer, you could make reference to the atmospheric circulation cells (Hadley, Ferrell and Polar). You should reference the biomes typically found at each type of cell boundary and the conditions at the boundaries that mean that those biomes form there and nowhere else.

In addition, you should reference how the ITCZ would lead to the biomes forming over a wider range of latitudes due to its movements.

Take what I say with a salt pinch and ensure you adjust for exam technique for AQA, because I did Edexcel B and my exam technique is what cost me a 9 in the exams last summer. Hope i've managed to be of some help. Also, contrary to what some of the others are saying, this actually isn't a particularly difficult question (aside from the stuff on the circulation model, which is possibly one of the most difficult topics in GCSE Geography). You have to try to focus on what areas of geography link to the question titles. Atmospheric Circulation is not easy. But it's not difficult to understand by any means. You just have to sit down with it and properly try to understand it. If you try to memorise it, you'll get completely destroyed. The 9-1 exams are designed to weed out memorisers and test students on their capability to synoptically analyse and explain concepts. Memorising won't help.

My revision method was a bit of content review in the week prior if I had time, and then a ton of panicked last minute revision. I very much DO NOT recommend my method. Start way earlier. And do more past papers. You absolutely need it.
Last edited by Aayush :); 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University