we knnow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(c) Some endothermic reactions occur spontaneously at room temperature. Some exothermic reactions do not occur if the reactants are heated together to a very high temperature.
In order to explain the following observations, another factor, the entropy change, ΔS, must be considered. The equation which relates ΔS to ΔH is given below.
ΔG = ΔH – TΔS
(i) Explain why the following reaction occurs at room temperature even though thereaction is endothermic.
NaHCO3(aq) + HCl(aq) → NaCl(aq) + H2O(l) + CO2(g)
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
As it says in the question: ΔS must be considered.

For a reaction to be spontaneous at a temperature T, then ΔG must be negative. Hence, for the reaction in the question, ΔG must be negative at room temperature.
This must mean the reaction has a positive ΔS value, as this would make TΔS greater than ΔH, meaning that ΔG would be negative.
This can be verified if you look at what's being formed: you have a gas being formed, meaning that the system increases in disorder, and so the entropy will increase (giving a positive ΔS value).
Mr.noname
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
In addition to what has already been said also look at the no. of moles of substance I.e. 2 moles of reactants forms 3 moles of product, so the entropy increases as the disorder increases.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Mr.noname)
In addition to what has already been said also look at the no. of moles of substance I.e. 2 moles of reactants forms 3 moles of product, so the entropy increases as the disorder increases.
Thanks for adding extra valuable information
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.95%
No (181)
76.05%

Watched Threads