If May suddenly called a general election , who would you vote for? Watch

mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Neilos)
Yorkshire Party.

No idea what their policies are, or if they even exist these days, but if they're still around I'll vote for them.

If not them, some other minor party. Can't stand any of the main ones but never like wasting my vote.
I'd argue that voting for something you don't care about or actively dislike is far more a 'waste' than taking the decision not to vote.
Libtardian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
I must of missed that policy in the Labour manifesto when I read it and decided to vote for them, which in you're eyes makes me a terrorist. Can you please back up your claim?
I guess you should read it again then.
ColinDent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Lol you know what I mean though, a JRM world post Brexit would look completely different to a Dennis Skinner one.

Guess what you are saying is get step one out the first then deal with the future when we are free enough to control it?
Bingo! Don't think I'd be alone with this train of thought either, very far from it.
Neilos
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
I'd argue that voting for something you don't care about or actively dislike is far more a 'waste' than taking the decision not to vote.
I wouldn't say more of a waste, but I'd consider it 'worse'. Fortunately I care about Yorkshire, so I'd still be voting 'for' something.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've always thought that none of the above should be placed under all of the candidates names.
It sends out a more pertinent message than spoiling a paper or abstaining, in fact it would probably win a fair few seats.
CoffeeAndPolitics
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Difficult given the political landscape at the moment, I can't see myself supporting any of the mainstream parties or the Independent Group (if they decide to field candidates for seats). I'd probably vote for my current Labour MP who's anti-Brexit like me but it'll feel more like voting for the candidate rather than the party - I don't agree with the current position the Labour party is taking under Corbyn - too left-wing as I'm more of a centrist. If you don't vote Labour, there's too much of a risk of losing the seat again to the Lib Dems which won't be ideal.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Libtardian)
I guess you should read it again then.
Avoided the question, interesting

Maybe you should read it, I already have. While you are at it have a look at what has happen to our national purse via our national statistics since Labour left office, 9 years ago!
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 2 weeks ago
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Bingo! Don't think I'd be alone with this train of thought either, very far from it.
No I think I'm with you.
mojojojo101
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
I've always thought that none of the above should be placed under all of the candidates names.
It sends out a more pertinent message than spoiling a paper or abstaining, in fact it would probably win a fair few seats.
I still wouldn't tick a 'none of the above' option. It suggests that the options are the problem, I don't think they are, I think the problem is the system itself.

I think spoiling is a bad option because it's too easy to dismiss a spoilt ballot as some idiot who can't follow simple instructions. A mass campaign of spoils would probably get some attention, but I reckon you'd need t at least 15% of people to spoil to even get close to being meaningful, but again, it lacks focus.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I still wouldn't tick a 'none of the above' option. It suggests that the options are the problem, I don't think they are, I think the problem is the system itself.

I think spoiling is a bad option because it's too easy to dismiss a spoilt ballot as some idiot who can't follow simple instructions. A mass campaign of spoils would probably get some attention, but I reckon you'd need t at least 15% of people to spoil to even get close to being meaningful, but again, it lacks focus.
Agreed I'd never spoil a paper which is why none of the above in my opinion would work, because there a a very large amount of us that think the options are the problem.
LostAccount
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Conservative, unless they fudge Brexit, then I'd be open to a protest vote at Brexit Party.

"Fudge" includes passing the current deal on offer, or any deal which cannot be unilaterally pulled out of later.

I guess my vote counts, since I live in the most marginal constituency in the south that is a battleground between anti-Brexit Labour and an ERG Tory MP, in a heavy Leave constituency of 54% to 46%. Yet my MP refuses to back Labour in a no confidence vote against this remain sham at the top.
Last edited by LostAccount; 2 weeks ago
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Conservative as they are the only party who will develop our country properly and not by building welfare estates everywhere like Labour. And what I mean by properly is by building high quality infrastructure for the country, and in the future if May is not the leader then we might see even better changes such as more use of renewable energy resources.
Libtardian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Avoided the question, interesting

Maybe you should read it, I already have. While you are at it have a look at what has happen to our national purse via our national statistics since Labour left office, 9 years ago!
Tories are basically Blue Labour...
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Libtardian)
Tories are basically Blue Labour...
I'm not sure if you are just fishing for bites?

There is a bigger difference between the two major parties than at any point in time since Tony Benn!

Anyway good day, happy fishing
Alesha1991
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Why those two.

There is a massive difference between the essentially Corbynite Greens and fairly centrist Lib Dem’s.

Do you not see value in holding your course with the Tories and going with the Gove approach of getting the deal now and then when we have a majority pulling out further later.
My views don't always fit that easily into the left- right specturm. I'd probably class myself as somewhere within the centre left but it really depends on the issue. I'm passionate about environmental issues, animal welfare etc which is why the Greens appeal to me but on some things I'm more towards the centre, so I can identify with the Lib Dems sometimes as well.
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I probably wouldn't vote but if I did it'd be Conservative; I'm not massive fan of the Tories at the moment but Labour would be a million times worse under Corbyn.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Tempest II)
I probably wouldn't vote but if I did it'd be Conservative; I'm not massive fan of the Tories at the moment but Labour would be a million times worse under Corbyn.
Why mate, seriously what would Labour do under Corbyn that is a million times worse than the tories current failed plan?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why mate, seriously what would Labour do under Corbyn that is a million times worse than the tories current failed plan?
Reduce Defense expenditure
Weaken our ties with nato (less working together)
Make alliances with terrorist states
Weaken the links between monarchy and state
Grant independence referenda

All relatively likely.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Reduce Defense expenditure
Grant independence referenda

All relatively likely.
I agree that Grant independence referendum and I agree that would be terrible for the country, also I agree they will reduce Defense expenditure which at current time is far from ideal.

I'm not so sure they will

Can you explain these points further please?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree that Grant independence referendum and I agree that would be terrible for the country, also I agree they will reduce Defense expenditure which at current time is far from ideal.

I'm not so sure they will

Can you explain these points further please?
The Labour leadership despise Nato as part of their anti-US worldview. While they could never get away with leaving entirely, they could easily choose not to partake in anything.

Corbyn has made no secret of his love for terrorist and questionable governments like Hamas, Hezbolah, Iran, Venezeuala and Russia. He would have free reign to direct his arrogant, classist foreign secretary to strengthen ties with such filth at the expense of the US, Israel and others.

As per the above Corbyn could never get away with full on republicanism but he can weaken every aspect of church, monarchy and state in the name of liberalism.

A Corbyn government is a threat to our history. We cannot tolerate such a government.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads