If May suddenly resigned , who would you want as PM?

Watch
FemaleinDress
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
And why

I would want Jacob Rees Mog , only man suitable to the role.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nicholas Soames.
He respects the referendum outcome, although it was not what he was hoping for and he has called for a return to ‘dignity, reason and calm’ in politics.
Impressive oratory skills like his grandfather, skilled in the art of judging the public mood, willing to compromise when necessary and a great sense of humour.
He stands firm in his commitment to public service and seems to understand the necessity of leaders placing the national interest above both personal interests & the usual party politics.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FemaleinDress)
And why

Prime Minister it's your chance to shine

Shame they have disappeared since 2012, but then you can probably say the same for most MPs :getmecoat:
Moose-er
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Boris Johnson - unironically
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Martin Ssempa or Nigel Farage
username4499644
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Boris of course, he's a legend
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd second Mogg but more because it would make absolutely everything explode.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Jo Johnson.
LeapingLucy
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It would never happen, but Justine Greening or Amber Rudd. They are pragmatic and compassionate conservatives who are rooted in the present, unlike many of their colleagues.
Notsureimsure
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Nigel farage or John bercow
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
History over the past century shows us that (bar May) an incumbent government will elevate its Chancellor or Foreign Secretary which means Hunt or Hammond. I can certainly see Hunt winning amongst MP’s.

My own personal preference is for Mogg, Stewart, Crabb or Gove largely because I think that Gove has genuine talent and the other three have something about them.
alexschmalex
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Johnny English, at least he fails upwards
ColinDent
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mrs May seems to have become extremely impulsive all of a sudden.
I'd like to see Stuart Pearce become PM, he'd scare the living **** out of Junker and co.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The question that needs asked is ,by the choice to be made do people want the Conservatives to remain as a single party?

I would have serious reservations about most of the likely candidates now being able to control their party, May is not the sole issue , although she is not the right person she is in large part a symptom of the issues within the Conservatives.

It is tricky to work out who of the main players can hold the Conservatives together, of the bigger players I only see Gove as having any chance but even with Gove I have serious doubts, I do think he is politically able but I suspect he has annoyed a lot of MPs.

The last thing the Conservatives need is a leader supported by the members (who of course have the final vote) but who lacks broad enough support in the House, Labour are currently a prime example of such a position.

You might end up with someone like Graham Brady, but without knowing where all the connections are within the PCP it is hard for any outsider to really understand the art of the possible.

The one I have heard would be an "over my dead body" candidate for a lot of the PCP is Boris and I think Mogg has little chance of cross party support in the House, Hunt is politically toxic re the electorate, Hammond has little wider appeal, it is a really hard call to make, as it was last time, hence we got May.

Maybe they should go for Grayling on the basis that all factions believe he is inept enough to be malleable to their will.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is an absolute long shot and very unlikely but Yvette Cooper for PM if she becomes leader of the Labour party.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FemaleinDress)
And why

They're all vile so it's hard to say. But assuming the PM would have to be Conservative (due to Theresa May's resignation) - maybe bring back David Cameron.

He seemed bad at the time but the rest of them are even worse :confused:
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
History over the past century shows us that (bar May) an incumbent government will elevate its Chancellor or Foreign Secretary which means Hunt or Hammond. I can certainly see Hunt winning amongst MP’s.

My own personal preference is for Mogg, Stewart, Crabb or Gove largely because I think that Gove has genuine talent and the other three have something about them.
I find the optics of Hunt baffling. For so long, he was the Government's designated whipping-boy, he got an immense amount of stick and most of the public seem to think he's a weedy little ****. While he can turn that around, it does rather kill off any honeymoon period.

Still, the party's done stupider things in its time.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by L i b)
I find the optics of Hunt baffling. For so long, he was the Government's designated whipping-boy, he got an immense amount of stick and most of the public seem to think he's a weedy little ****. While he can turn that around, it does rather kill off any honeymoon period.

Still, the party's done stupider things in its time.
I think if people survive long enough in a difficult position they seem to get a grudging respect in the Westminster bubble. How hated he is outside though is the question albeit the return of two party politics may make this less of an issue.
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
May is the best person for the job imo
Davij038
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Either Mogg or Corbyn, not anyone in cabinet now. The establishment needs a shake up and it’s going to ha e to get worse before things get better.

Ideally Corbyn with a minority government, and UKIP as the third largest party
Last edited by Davij038; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (22)
73.33%
No (4)
13.33%
Not sure (4)
13.33%

Watched Threads