The Student Room Group

Drawing electronic circuit

Hi guys. Im having a bit of trouble with my assignment on electronics. Could you guys help me with how the circuit should look like and what values the components should be.

A customer has requested a recommendation for the lowest possible cost power supply circuit with the following specification, and in the format of a written report:

1. Vin = 20 Vdc

2. Vout = 3.3 Vdc at 300 mA

3. An LED to indicate that the power supply is supplying 3.3 V to the load

(We have to use a zener diode as a regulator).
Original post by Luj99
Hi guys. Im having a bit of trouble with my assignment on electronics. Could you guys help me with how the circuit should look like and what values the components should be.

A customer has requested a recommendation for the lowest possible cost power supply circuit with the following specification, and in the format of a written report:

1. Vin = 20 Vdc

2. Vout = 3.3 Vdc at 300 mA

3. An LED to indicate that the power supply is supplying 3.3 V to the load

(We have to use a zener diode as a regulator).

What does the assignment briefing say? - at undergraduate I'd guess you're supposed to produce several possible solutions, discussed, costed, and then recommend one.
Does it say you have to use discrete components? will voltage regulator IC's or pre-assembled power supply modules be acceptable? What's the tolerance on the output voltage (and other parameters)? Engineering specs are always written with tolerences - a client would always ask for (e.g) 3.3V ± 0.1V or 3.3V ± 5% or similar... and if they don't it's your job to pin them down on it before you do any work (otherwise you could sweat cobs on a job and find they don't want to pay you because your wonderful circuit is actually producing 3.30001V and that's not exactly what they asked for.
Is the LED supposed to be a basic 'power on' indication or is it only supposed to light when the output voltage is within a specific range

have you been taught about PNP and NPN transistors?

Quick Reply

Latest