Itsmekate
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I would like to apply to a vet med course for university (preferably RVC if anyone is currently studying there). I’ve heard work experience is very important but so far, the only experience is volunteering at a farm for the past couple of years. Does anyone have advice of good work experience, how to get in touch etc? Greatly appreciated x
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Itsmekate)
I would like to apply to a vet med course for university (preferably RVC if anyone is currently studying there). I’ve heard work experience is very important but so far, the only experience is volunteering at a farm for the past couple of years. Does anyone have advice of good work experience, how to get in touch etc? Greatly appreciated x
A good place to start is the sticky work experience thread at the top of the forum https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...d.php?t=441897 . The more varied your experience gained the better so I would fill your upcoming holidays with week long placements at quite a few different placements both vet and husbandry if possible.
Natasha_Faye
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m a current student at the RVC, if you have any questions about the uni/application then feel free to DM me
Itsmekate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Natasha_Faye)
I’m a current student at the RVC, if you have any questions about the uni/application then feel free to DM me
Oh thank you! I do have a few. So what kind of work experience did you get? And how much. I was also wondering about part time jobs since I was interested in a gym in Camden being a personal trainer, but that would take up a lot of time and some people have said the uni doesn’t have a timetable? And this one isn’t really related to RVC but how do you study? Flash cards or mind maps etc. because pages of pretty notes really aren’t working for me😂😂. If you don’t mind (you can also DM me this ) what were your gcse and a levels? Just so I have an idea of standards. Thank you so much Natasha!
Itsmekate
Rep:
?
(Original post by animalmagic)
A good place to start is the sticky work experience thread at the top of the forum https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...d.php?t=441897 . The more varied your experience gained the better so I would fill your upcoming holidays with week long placements at quite a few different placements both vet and husbandry if possible.
Thank you! X
Natasha_Faye
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Itsmekate)
Oh thank you! I do have a few. So what kind of work experience did you get? And how much. I was also wondering about part time jobs since I was interested in a gym in Camden being a personal trainer, but that would take up a lot of time and some people have said the uni doesn’t have a timetable? And this one isn’t really related to RVC but how do you study? Flash cards or mind maps etc. because pages of pretty notes really aren’t working for me😂😂. If you don’t mind (you can also DM me this ) what were your gcse and a levels? Just so I have an idea of standards. Thank you so much Natasha!
Work experience: 4 weeks rescue centre, 3 weeks small animal practices, 1 week equine hospital, 1 week lambing, 1 week dairy farm.
GCSE’s: 8A*’s, A (maths), B (Spanish)
A-levels: Biology A*, Chemistry A, Maths A

I think I had the average amount of work experience but some people got in with less. I think most people on my course got mostly straight A’s/A* for GCSE. You need to be predicted 3 A’s minimum at a level to get an offer.

I don’t think it would be very easy to manage a job as well as the course. You would need a zero hour contract as our timetable changes every week so you wouldn’t know when you’re free. Most people who want a job apply to be a student ambassador at the uni because the hours are more flexible. Also, the course is very time consuming so having a job may make it too stressful.

I study by reading through my notes over and over again. This technique doesn’t work for everyone though. People on my course do mind maps, quizlets to test themselves, talk through their notes out loud, re-write their notes etc. I think it all depends on the person and you just have to practice all the different ways to find what’s right for you.

As for advice about work experience, try and make it as varied as possible. Long term work experience e.g once a week for a year also looks good as it shows long term commitment. I struggled so much trying to get work experience placements to take me. I phoned everywhere I could (going in person is even better) to see who would take me.
Itsmekate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Natasha_Faye)
Work experience: 4 weeks rescue centre, 3 weeks small animal practices, 1 week equine hospital, 1 week lambing, 1 week dairy farm.
GCSE’s: 8A*’s, A (maths), B (Spanish)
A-levels: Biology A*, Chemistry A, Maths A

I think I had the average amount of work experience but some people got in with less. I think most people on my course got mostly straight A’s/A* for GCSE. You need to be predicted 3 A’s minimum at a level to get an offer.

I don’t think it would be very easy to manage a job as well as the course. You would need a zero hour contract as our timetable changes every week so you wouldn’t know when you’re free. Most people who want a job apply to be a student ambassador at the uni because the hours are more flexible. Also, the course is very time consuming so having a job may make it too stressful.

I study by reading through my notes over and over again. This technique doesn’t work for everyone though. People on my course do mind maps, quizlets to test themselves, talk through their notes out loud, re-write their notes etc. I think it all depends on the person and you just have to practice all the different ways to find what’s right for you.

As for advice about work experience, try and make it as varied as possible. Long term work experience e.g once a week for a year also looks good as it shows long term commitment. I struggled so much trying to get work experience placements to take me. I phoned everywhere I could (going in person is even better) to see who would take me.
Thank you so much this was really helpful xx
Choppygirl11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My daughter will be applying October 2019 and will have the following work experience:

4 weeks small animal vet at different practices (she also has a week booked at a large animal vet but it is at the end of October so won't count on the application although she will mention she will do it)
1 week at a dog training centre
2 days at a dog hydrotherapy centre
1 week at a animal rescue centre
1 week lambing (live in)
1 day at an abattoir
80 hours of pre-vet (she does a pre-vet course at Hartpury as part of enrichment which will get her a b-tec) and this includes working with dairy cattle, sheep, reptiles, dissection club etc
Plus she has worked at a stables for nearly a year having volunteered for a few years.

She was struggling with getting experience until I sat down with her and googled every vet and animal connected place within an hours' journey from us. She did get a lot of knock backs but we eventually got what she needed. Hopefully it will be enough.

I think you just have to be determined and try everyone and everywhere.
stimtothesky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’ve got four offers for 2019 entry (Liverpool, Cambridge, Nottingham, Edinburgh). I had this work experience:
8 weeks at a variety of vet practices including equine, small animal, farm animal, and exotic
8 weeks at farms including- lambing, dairy (+calving), pigs, livery, beef
3 weeks over 1 year at an animal rescue with cats and dogs but also farm animals, ferrets, birds, rabbits, reptiles, etc

So 19 weeks total. I really do think this was a big reason I got in, it helped me a lot at interview and meant I could draw on a variety of experiences when asked about WEX or even general science. It is hard to get placements- my tactic was to email every single vet within two hours on public transport. I also called the ones closest to me, getting further out until I found one that would take me. For farms calling is your best bet- use the national sheep association lambing list for lambing. Once you’re at one farm, have a look around the area or even ask the farmers if there’s any farms nearby who might take you. If there is, just go and knock on their door- this is how I got one of my favourite placements at a pig and sheep farm.
Itsmekate
Rep:
?
(Original post by Choppygirl11)
My daughter will be applying October 2019 and will have the following work experience:

4 weeks small animal vet at different practices (she also has a week booked at a large animal vet but it is at the end of October so won't count on the application although she will mention she will do it)
1 week at a dog training centre
2 days at a dog hydrotherapy centre
1 week at a animal rescue centre
1 week lambing (live in)
1 day at an abattoir
80 hours of pre-vet (she does a pre-vet course at Hartpury as part of enrichment which will get her a b-tec) and this includes working with dairy cattle, sheep, reptiles, dissection club etc
Plus she has worked at a stables for nearly a year having volunteered for a few years.

She was struggling with getting experience until I sat down with her and googled every vet and animal connected place within an hours' journey from us. She did get a lot of knock backs but we eventually got what she needed. Hopefully it will be enough.

I think you just have to be determined and try everyone and everywhere.
Thank you so much xx I will definitely try looking for some pre-vet courses now
Itsmekate
Rep:
?
(Original post by stimtothesky)
I’ve got four offers for 2019 entry (Liverpool, Cambridge, Nottingham, Edinburgh). I had this work experience:
8 weeks at a variety of vet practices including equine, small animal, farm animal, and exotic
8 weeks at farms including- lambing, dairy (+calving), pigs, livery, beef
3 weeks over 1 year at an animal rescue with cats and dogs but also farm animals, ferrets, birds, rabbits, reptiles, etc

So 19 weeks total. I really do think this was a big reason I got in, it helped me a lot at interview and meant I could draw on a variety of experiences when asked about WEX or even general science. It is hard to get placements- my tactic was to email every single vet within two hours on public transport. I also called the ones closest to me, getting further out until I found one that would take me. For farms calling is your best bet- use the national sheep association lambing list for lambing. Once you’re at one farm, have a look around the area or even ask the farmers if there’s any farms nearby who might take you. If there is, just go and knock on their door- this is how I got one of my favourite placements at a pig and sheep farm.
Thank you so much xx I’m currently volunteering at a farm but I will definitely look at more clinics in my area. Thanks!
teamtakle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you find some work experience relevant to vet med? If not we are farmers on Exmoor and have just started lambing we also have cattle and sheep and would be able to offer experience with a super reference given after. We have 600 sheep to lamb, cattle horses etc. Sarah T 07770962095 family farm accomodation food provided.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (718)
41.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (346)
19.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads