The Student Room Group

Parents Won't Believe I Have Depression

I'm 15 years old, Female, and I'm really struggling right now. I have 2 siblings, both of which make me cry constantly and even my mother locks herself in her room or drives away crying sometimes. My father goes to the pub or gets high most of the time. Neither of my parents believe I have depression and I have really tried to ask for help but they have just said how pathetic I am. What shall I do?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 15 years old, Female, and I'm really struggling right now. I have 2 siblings, both of which make me cry constantly and even my mother locks herself in her room or drives away crying sometimes. My father goes to the pub or gets high most of the time. Neither of my parents believe I have depression and I have really tried to ask for help but they have just said how pathetic I am. What shall I do?

If your parents are unwilling to help, do you have anyone else who you can turn to, e.g. another family member, a close friend or a teacher?
Original post by cheesecakelove
If your parents are unwilling to help, do you have anyone else who you can turn to, e.g. another family member, a close friend or a teacher?

My best friend does know, but I'm really too scared to reach out to anyone else tbh
Listen i m not in ur situation and but i can that being part of an asain household my parents find it hard to believe depression is real in my honest opinion because i have been through where you are avoid them but avoid them in the sense that just stay in your room and stuff u dont want unnecessary drama ygm. honestly talk to ur friend thats wht i did u may be scared but honestly they r there for u whilst ur parents aren't ygm. and if u feeling really down talk to a teacher. hope this helps.
Original post by Mr. sypherPB
Listen i m not in ur situation and but i can that being part of an asain household my parents find it hard to believe depression is real in my honest opinion because i have been through where you are avoid them but avoid them in the sense that just stay in your room and stuff u dont want unnecessary drama ygm. honestly talk to ur friend thats wht i did u may be scared but honestly they r there for u whilst ur parents aren't ygm. and if u feeling really down talk to a teacher. hope this helps.

Thanks so much, I just needed some advice and this seems solid 🙏🙏
You're not pathetic. They're doing something that's called "projecting" which is basically calling you pathetic because they know they're pathetic parents. Sorry to be kind of rude. I'm sure they haven't been all bad, but telling you're kid that they're pathetic for having depression is... well, pathetic. Aside from that, could you get help at school? Or perhaps you could search up free counselling for youths in your area? Sorry I can't give any other practical advice, but your life won't stay this way. One day you'll be out from your parent's house. Good luck :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
You're not pathetic. They're doing something that's called "projecting" which is basically calling you pathetic because they know they're pathetic parents. Sorry to be kind of rude. I'm sure they haven't been all bad, but telling you're kid that they're pathetic for having depression is... well, pathetic. Aside from that, could you get help at school? Or perhaps you could search up free counselling for youths in your area? Sorry I can't give any other practical advice, but your life won't stay this way. One day you'll be out from your parent's house. Good luck :frown:

Thankyou also🙏🙏🙏
Original post by GoldenDog12
My best friend does know, but I'm really too scared to reach out to anyone else tbh

Don't be scared to reach out to people you trust. They want the best for you and care about your happiness. To keep everything to yourself will just make you feel worse in the future.
Original post by Mr. sypherPB

Do not speak bad of Asian households. Also depression is bad but you will probably have to "get over it".
Original post by Gundabad(good)
Do not speak bad of Asian households. Also depression is bad but you will probably have to "get over it".

Or why not just see a doctor and actually get some help?
Original post by Gundabad(good)

Please don't comment anything that isn't actually helpful

Quick Reply

Latest