The Student Room Group

Best degree for entrepreneurs

Of course no degree is necessary... Thinking either Finance, Computer science or a science (not biological)
Original post by MrDoggyWoof
Of course no degree is necessary... Thinking either Finance, Computer science or a science (not biological)

Hey,

What sort of business do you hope on going down in the future?

You can't really go wrong with a Business Studies or an Accounting & Finance degree if you want to keep your options open. However, I think if you provided some additional context on both your background and what you plan on doing that could help massively with answering your question.
Reply 2
Original post by ParagonProxy
Hey,

What sort of business do you hope on going down in the future?

You can't really go wrong with a Business Studies or an Accounting & Finance degree if you want to keep your options open. However, I think if you provided some additional context on both your background and what you plan on doing that could help massively with answering your question.

not really any specific business but just in general, Like what degree do you think is best for making money on your own (without working for a salary).
Reply 3
I was going to do buisness management
I wouldn't take Computer Science if I were entrepreneurial, I'd just be working on the software instead.

You have a pretty good fallback then because if your entrepreneurial adventure fails you can then just take a CS/CS related degree with student loans.
(edited 5 years ago)
not really any specific business but just in general, Like what degree do you think is best for making money on your own (without working for a salary).

This is quite vague, however I'll be a little bit biased and reflect a little bit of my thinking when I went down my own route.

In general, I like to believe that companies are continually finding themselves in technology-driven environments and as such key skills that are in-demand for the foreseeable future would be mathematics, statistics (data analysis) and programming.

With this you could easily leverage your own services and work on your own time,-- even branching out into starting your own business if you wish.
Reply 6
Original post by Zasty
I was going to do buisness management

Is there any marketable skill being taught in business management though?

Yup, how to teach Business Management :lol:.
Reply 8
Original post by ···
I wouldn't take Computer Science if I were entrepreneurial, I'd just be working on the software instead.

You have a pretty good fallback then because if your entrepreneurial adventure fails you can then just take a CS/CS related degree with student loans.

Only thing putting me off learning Cs and software is that so many people will have started very young making it almost impossible to compete
Reply 9
Original post by ···
Yup, how to teach Business Management :lol:.

Haha feel like that's the truth with so many degrees
Reply 10

Well there's finance management etc but i'm having it for experience and it being an unsaturated job market which pays a lot. Entrepreneurialism isn't really something you need any degree for at all since the time you spent in uni could easily be invested into building your business. The only real benefit for entrapreurs who go uni is the networking etc. But i'm going uni as a backup plan if my plan to become the Neo-Monarch of england fails.
Only thing putting me off learning Cs and software is that so many people will have started very young making it almost impossible to compete

If you were to undertake a degree you would have nearly two years before having to do internships and three years at a graduate level. You can learn a lot if you apply yourself in that period of time,-- don't underestimate yourself!

Nah, there isn't enough to programming for that to be the case for most purposes.
The only time that really applies is in highly specialized sections like high-end computer graphics where your competition may be people like newer versions of John Carmack.

For app creation and sorts, you can learn what you need in a year or so.
Also, keep in mind in the industry the languages and frameworks you'll be using to create apps will always be evovling and changing, this is why if you wanted you could take a 6month course of Ruby on Rails then make a decent salary as a web dev (this route happens often).
Read an entrepreneur’s bio and see what degree (if any) they did.

You’ll need to be able to actually do something - what’s your skill? What will make you money? What can you design or create? Then what degree will give you the skills you need to do that? Engineering has got to be a strong contender.
Original post by Duncan2012

You’ll need to be able to actually do something - what’s your skill? What will make you money? What can you design or create? Then what degree will give you the skills you need to do that? Engineering has got to be a strong contender.

^ ^
Original post by Zasty
Well there's finance management etc but i'm having it for experience and it being an unsaturated job market which pays a lot. Entrepreneurialism isn't really something you need any degree for at all since the time you spent in uni could easily be invested into building your business. The only real benefit for entrapreurs who go uni is the networking etc. But i'm going uni as a backup plan if my plan to become the Neo-Monarch of england fails.

I get you, annoyingly I see some sectors in finance prefer STEM degrees to econ and finance ones. I don't see u needing that back up
Original post by ParagonProxy
If you were to undertake a degree you would have nearly two years before having to do internships and three years at a graduate level. You can learn a lot if you apply yourself in that period of time,-- don't underestimate yourself!

Goodpoint

Original post by ···
Nah, there isn't enough to programming for that to be the case for most purposes.
The only time that really applies is in highly specialized sections like high-end computer graphics where your competition may be people like newer versions of John Carmack.

For app creation and sorts, you can learn what you need in a year or so.
Also, keep in mind in the industry the languages and frameworks you'll be using to create apps will always be evovling and changing, this is why if you wanted you could take a 6month course of Ruby on Rails then make a decent salary as a web dev (this route happens often).

Another Goodpoint, I started learning Java a while ago but didn't really know what to do with it
Original post by Duncan2012

Solid advice, Engineering completely slipped my mind
Goodpoint

Another Goodpoint, I started learning Java a while ago but didn't really know what to do with it

Java can be used for building Android apps or can be a "server" for Web apps, among other things. (Assuming you mean Java and not JavaScript, which is a totally different programming language - JavaScript is used for front-end web programming - just a confusingly similar name, although still useful to learn)

When it comes to deciding what to do with a programming language, focus on thinking of a 'problem' to solve - for example, just look at any of the apps on your phone, and it's almost certainly possible to build something similar to that - either using Java to create an app like that with Android, or maybe to learn some web development (javascript, html, css) skills and build it as a web app.

You can usually learn a lot just by getting an idea and then spending time figuring out how to do it, looking for examples of things people have done before, how it all fits together, which tools are needed, and then just trying to build something (to begin with, just getting anything basic working)

Sometimes it can help to just have a goal even if you don't feel like your skills are there - realistically most people need hundreds of hours of time to learn and practice before they feel confident enough to build apps; if you're doing it in your spare time then you might need to set aside maybe 10-15 hours per week for 6-12 months slowly chipping away at it, but it's definitely achievable - there's tonnes of really good free internet resources for helping you learn this (e.g. websites like Coursera, EdX, Udacity all have free courses from various top universities and tech companies).
Computer Science & Management (Joint Honours) would be good

Quick Reply

Latest