I don't know if I can handle my job, help? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi, I'm 16 and just starting my A-levels. I do art, film studies, and psychology (as well as EPQ), which are quite time consuming and coursework heavy subjects, and I work 12 hours in total as a kitchen porter each weekend. If this was all I did I think I could probably handle it, however I also do a lot of clubs after school, meaning that I'm busy during the day and afternoon every single day. I've gotten myself into a vicious cycle of working on the weekends so having to stay up late doing homework and revision in the evening but also being too tired from my little sleep and job to get it done. I am constantly exhausted and so fall even further behind on my work, meaning bad test results that lead my parents to get mad, adding to my stress. I'm starting to lose interest in my clubs and I dread my job so much that I can't even enjoy my week because I know at the end of it I have to be washing up in the kitchen again. I'm enjoying my school weeks where I'm incredibly stressed more than my weekends. I realize this all sounds very whiny and first world problem but I really can't stand my job. The smell stays on your clothes and under your nails for weeks and whenever you smell it you think of your job. The hours are dragging and repetitive and unpleasant and you go in at 12:00pm and come out at 6:00pm and it's dark. It's hot and I often feel like I'm about to pass out if I don't have water with me and my hands are dry and keep on getting injured from hitting them on taps or being burnt by hot water.

Generally, I don't really know how I'm coping. I'm so tired and I haven't felt motivated to get anything done in a long time, I feel so swamped in work that I get overwhelmed and just switch off rather than actually doing it. I usually love seeing and talking to my friends as I get lonely a lot and it's so nice that they want to walk home with me but the other week I left my club early just so that I could walk home on my own and not have to put the energy into socializing because by this point even that's too much. I'm so tired and I just want to quit my job because maybe it will help? But no jobs are offering me interviews and my dad will think I'm just lazy if I quit this and have no other job to go to and it's the one thing he's glad that I'm doing at the moment. I'm also really bad at saying no to people and the head chef at the kitchen is quite intimidating which makes it harder to ask for less hours. I also feel bad asking for less as I recently had to ask for some sundays off to go to my theater rehearsals and if I quit now it just seems like I'm lazy and would rather have a weekend rather than actually needing the extra time. I just feel so confused and stressed.

Does anyone have advice on how to get interviews or job offers or how to cope with a part time job? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
Studyhead6
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your young.Im 16 and I don't work.Go have some fun whilst your young and stop stressing! Literally!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Quit.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I'm 16 and just starting my A-levels. I do art, film studies, and psychology (as well as EPQ), which are quite time consuming and coursework heavy subjects, and I work 12 hours in total as a kitchen porter each weekend. If this was all I did I think I could probably handle it, however I also do a lot of clubs after school, meaning that I'm busy during the day and afternoon every single day. I've gotten myself into a vicious cycle of working on the weekends so having to stay up late doing homework and revision in the evening but also being too tired from my little sleep and job to get it done. I am constantly exhausted and so fall even further behind on my work, meaning bad test results that lead my parents to get mad, adding to my stress. I'm starting to lose interest in my clubs and I dread my job so much that I can't even enjoy my week because I know at the end of it I have to be washing up in the kitchen again. I'm enjoying my school weeks where I'm incredibly stressed more than my weekends. I realize this all sounds very whiny and first world problem but I really can't stand my job. The smell stays on your clothes and under your nails for weeks and whenever you smell it you think of your job. The hours are dragging and repetitive and unpleasant and you go in at 12:00pm and come out at 6:00pm and it's dark. It's hot and I often feel like I'm about to pass out if I don't have water with me and my hands are dry and keep on getting injured from hitting them on taps or being burnt by hot water.

Generally, I don't really know how I'm coping. I'm so tired and I haven't felt motivated to get anything done in a long time, I feel so swamped in work that I get overwhelmed and just switch off rather than actually doing it. I usually love seeing and talking to my friends as I get lonely a lot and it's so nice that they want to walk home with me but the other week I left my club early just so that I could walk home on my own and not have to put the energy into socializing because by this point even that's too much. I'm so tired and I just want to quit my job because maybe it will help? But no jobs are offering me interviews and my dad will think I'm just lazy if I quit this and have no other job to go to and it's the one thing he's glad that I'm doing at the moment. I'm also really bad at saying no to people and the head chef at the kitchen is quite intimidating which makes it harder to ask for less hours. I also feel bad asking for less as I recently had to ask for some sundays off to go to my theater rehearsals and if I quit now it just seems like I'm lazy and would rather have a weekend rather than actually needing the extra time. I just feel so confused and stressed.

Does anyone have advice on how to get interviews or job offers or how to cope with a part time job? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks
If you are finding it hard to make time for yourself, to have fun with friends, to cope with your extra-curricular activities and to focus on your studies, then I would quit your job or look for a job with less hours and suits you better. To continue the way you are now puts you at risk of burnout and can have a negative effect on you. I am sure your parents will understand if you are honest with them.
KainsBanes
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You really shouldn't be stressed doing art, film studies and psychology as A Levels; they're about as soft as A Levels get. To feel as lousy as this means you need to make some changes. If you live at home still, quit the job - your parents will understand and with a little emotional nudge about how hard you're finding things, might help you out with money a bit. I would sacrifice that before your hobbies.
Oliviageorge098
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Omg, you are too young.
Juliatom543
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
just quit girl
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Lose the job. There is nothing more important than your education and as you already have experience you'll find it to get another job in the future. Explain to your dad about the negative impact the job is having on your schoolwork- this will normally worry most parents to the point where they agree with you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.11%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.71%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.75%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (72)
29.88%

Watched Threads