Original post by chickennuggiez
Hello
does anyone know if taking the following subjects is doable for IB
higher level:
chemistry, economics, business management
standard level:
english literature and language, math AA

Hi there!
Well for IB, you're supposed to take 6 core subjects, and so far I only see that you're suggesting to take 5 classes? With what you have so far, I'd say that the subject combo so far is fine. Just make sure that you look at the university course requirements for the courses you might want to take, and ensure that you take the right HL classes. You don't want to pick these HL classes, and then find out that you cannot take the course you want for uni because you didn't take the right HL subjects. I'm assuming you're planning on doing something related to econs or business?
You're just missing a second language. You're going to need to do another language at standard level looking at this combo.
hello, yes I have also picked another second language. I actually have no clue what I want to study in uni at the moment asdfghjkl.
would you recommend swapping HL business with either biology or physics? Or would sticking to business be easier?
many thanks
hello, yes I have also picked another second language. I actually have no clue what I want to study in uni at the moment asdfghjkl.
would you recommend swapping HL business with either biology or physics? Or would sticking to business be easier?
many thanks

Hi there!
I get what you mean by not wanting to study. I've been there before.
But I really suggest that even if you have no clue, you must have at least some sort of idea, a gut feeling telling you want you like the most. What is it that you'll be willing to stay up late late late at night doing work for? Which subjects?
I suggest that if you're going to do science, do two sciences, or do a math and science, depending on the requirements. If you're not planning on anything remotely close to science, you don't need to swap business with a science. It's not about what's easier. The thing is, if you pick the subjects you like, even if you dunno what's your favourite, if you pick a subject that you like more than the other, you'll probs do better in that subject.
It's just that if you want to keep the STEM field an option, I really suggest you change you combo into something that uni's require. Because I don't think you can take any STEM courses with just HL chem. If you're not doing STEM, then business and econs is ok I guess, for the humanities.
I just suggest you talk to your parents and college counsellor about this, and seeing the uni requirements for all the courses you're potentially interested in.
What I did to figure out my choices was look through a BUNCH of uni courses that I MIGHT be interested in, then looked at their requirements, and see which subjects were the safest option.
many thanks

Wish you the best of luck choosing the right subjects. Make sure you pick the ones that you like, that you think you can do well in, and that it won't limit your choices in choosing the right uni courses for you. It's ok if you have no clue right now, but talking with your parents, teachers and friends can help. At least have a general idea of which field you want to go to. Like, STEM, the econs/business side, law, humanities, Art, english. If you have a field, it'll be easier.
Universities in the UK usually dislike the combination of Economics and Business Studies. If you wanted to apply in the UK, it may be worth considering whether you should swap one of them for another subject. Since STEM courses in the UK also usually expect you to take two STEM subjects to HL or equivalent, taking a second science instead of business might not be a bad idea.

Which depends on your interests and aptitudes, but bear in mind not taking HL Maths would limit the range of courses you could apply to with just HL Physics and HL Chemistry. HL Chemistry and HL Biology are prerequisites for a wide range of bioscience and medical related courses, which also normally don't require HL Maths, so that combination would give you more options.

That said, Economics degrees in the UK almost universally require HL Maths, so it's unlikely you would be able to continue with economics after IB if you didn't take that. If you enjoy and/or are interested in economics, it may be worth planning to take HL Maths (in which case, taking HL or SL Phyiscs along with Chemistry is more of a reasonable choice).

Of course if you aren't particularly strong in STEM subjects or don't really have much interest in them, taking three such subjects would probably not be such a great idea. If you are mainly interested in economics and/or business things, I'd probably suggest taking HL Maths and swapping business for another social science or humanities subject.
hello, im pretty sure im going to the united states for uni.
im doing econ for GCSE but not business, I simply chose it because i enjoy economics and most say HL physics and math are too much. i really enjoy maths right now however, additional maths is quite difficult and HL maths doesnt seem like a good option. also, HL biology might be really difficult as i dont really enjoy it as there's a lot to memorize.
(edited 4 years ago)
hello, thank you so much. do you know what the requirements for studying econ or business at ucb or ucla are??

US universities don't normally have specific subject requirements for admissions, although the UCs might as they're something of a special case. I'd suggest checking on their website, but I don't think you'll need HL Maths for them.

US colleges also aren't really likely to care about particular subject combinations (like economics and business) as they do in the UK, so it's less of an issue for there. You would probably limit your options if you did apply in the UK though. Bear in mind if you major in economics (or business) in the US you will need to take calculus (probably two or more semesters worth) in college, which will cover the material from HL Maths anyway. Something to think about.

hello, im pretty sure im going to the united states for uni.
im doing econ for GCSE but not business, I simply chose it because i enjoy economics and most say HL physics and math are too much. i really enjoy maths right now and got full marks for my extended mock. however, additional maths is quite difficult and HL maths doesnt seem like a good option. also, HL biology might be really difficult as i dont really enjoy it and there's a lot to memorize.

Definitely don't take HL Biology if you don't enjoy the subject now; I did that, because I couldn't be timetabled for HL Chemistry, and I hated it. I'd just been sort of ambivalent towards it before IB but it was just extremely unenjoyable with the vast quantity of material to learn that I wasn't hugely interested in.

Perhaps ask the school if you can start in HL Maths along with 3 other HLs, and then after getting a feel for it decide which if any of those 4 you might want to drop down to SL? A lot of people changed their "level" of maths in my IB cohort; most started in HL, then there were only 2 in the end, and about 10 dropped from SL to studies at the end of the first year when they realised the degrees they planned to apply to didn't require maths in any way (mostly people applying to humanities degrees).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending