y14ba
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hello,
I'm taking my Edexcel Arabic GCSE this year and I had a question about formal and informal Arabic.
What is informal Arabic and how do I speak it?
I'm a native speaker but every country has its own Arabic dialect, is that informal Arabic? Which dialect am I supposed to speak in the speaking test when it asks for informal?

Also I was wondering if there is something that could help me with my formal Arabic because I don't really know how to speak it and it doesn't come naturally to me. I have literally only heard in formal news channels and books. How do I practice it?
Thank you!
username4511180
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by y14ba)
Hello,
I'm taking my Edexcel Arabic GCSE this year and I had a question about formal and informal Arabic.
What is informal Arabic and how do I speak it?
I'm a native speaker but every country has its own Arabic dialect, is that informal Arabic? Which dialect am I supposed to speak in the speaking test when it asks for informal?

Also I was wondering if there is something that could help me with my formal Arabic because I don't really know how to speak it and it doesn't come naturally to me. I have literally only heard in formal news channels and books. How do I practice it?
Thank you!
Im studying Arabic too (but i know nothing)
However i found out that the exam board will no longer accept arabic form other dialects and you need to speak standard arabic (the one you learn from the book) but if you font know the standard arabic try use anywords you know as its better to write something than nothing. When it asks for informal you can just speak without any honorifics and speak the way you speak to your friends.
Practising Arabic... well i dont know about that
However i hope i helped.
y14ba
Rep:
?
Thank you!I was wondering what it meant by informal, because it says the way you speak to your friend, and anyone in the Arab world speaks to their friend using a dialect, so i’m not sure what informal is without a certain dialect or accent.
y14ba
Rep:
?
(Original post by KDJA3467)
Im studying Arabic too (but i know nothing)
However i found out that the exam board will no longer accept arabic form other dialects and you need to speak standard arabic (the one you learn from the book) but if you font know the standard arabic try use anywords you know as its better to write something than nothing. When it asks for informal you can just speak without any honorifics and speak the way you speak to your friends.
Practising Arabic... well i dont know about that
However i hope i helped.
Thank you!
I was wondering what it meant by informal, because it says the way you speak to your friend, and anyone in the Arab world speaks to their friend using a dialect, so i’m not sure what informal is without a certain dialect or accent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (193)
18.79%
Labour (529)
51.51%
Liberal Democrats (138)
13.44%
Green Party (57)
5.55%
Brexit Party (15)
1.46%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.39%
SNP (16)
1.56%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.49%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.68%
SDLP (1)
0.1%
Ulster Unionist (4)