The Student Room Group

Worst part about looking for a job as a student

100 applications in and there is so much that I wish i could change about the job application process. What has frustrated you guys most about it and what would you change if you could change things?
What would you change?
Reply 2
The first thing that really gets to me is when they don't respond. I hate being in limbo, and frankly its kinda rude.
The second thing which is more of a dream, I wish there was just one format with all my skills, instead of having 20 different cvs's just in the hope of landing one job?

What would you change?
You could minimise the diversity of jobs you apply for

That way, you can have a handful of cvs that are slightly edited and tailored to each job application

i would make it to a system of cv + 1 interview

Instead of the online tests, essay questions, quizzes, phone interview, in-person interview,

Ridiculous
Original post by manyash
The first thing that really gets to me is when they don't respond. I hate being in limbo, and frankly its kinda rude.
The second thing which is more of a dream, I wish there was just one format with all my skills, instead of having 20 different cvs's just in the hope of landing one job?

What would you change?

Interestingly I found out that a common reason companies don't respond (other than a generic/automated you have been unsuccessful message) is not just out of time constraints or rudeness but to limit their legal liability- any kind of feedback could potentially be used to claim discrimination so they are instructed not to do so.
Reply 5
Yeah the time taken is annoying, especially after tests. It's not enough being broke but then redoing everything and doing all those tests really is getting me down when I don't hear back from them.
Original post by manyash

What would you change?

I can kind of understand it when you first apply for the job (before all the interviews etc). The company may have a load of applications and (depending on how many applications they have) may not be able to reply to them all. While it would be nice to get an email or something saying you havent got anywhere with the job (the odd companies do do it), they may not have the time to respond individually to 10's, sometimes even 100's of applications. Sometimes they do say though in the job advert that if you havent heard anything x amount of days/weeks after the closing date, assume you have been unsuccessful.
What i do find really rude though is when you have had an interview- (either a physical one or one over the phone), and they dont bother to let you know that you havent been successful. You have taken the time to apply, made the effort and time to go to an interview etc. Its even worse if you have been to a 2nd interview or a trial or whatever. By the interview stage, they have obviously narrowed down the number of applicants to a more manageable number. And they were able to contact you to talk to you, invite you for an interview etc so they were obviously interested in you. So the least they can do is contact you to say you werent successful. Even if its just a quick email just to say you werent successful. They wouldnt even have to speak to you. Thats better than nothing.
We cant all be successful for every job we apply for, but a bit of decency and a reply after going to an interview etc is all we require.
Original post by swelshie
Interestingly I found out that a common reason companies don't respond (other than a generic/automated you have been unsuccessful message) is not just out of time constraints or rudeness but to limit their legal liability- any kind of feedback could potentially be used to claim discrimination so they are instructed not to do so.

They dont even have to give you feedback though. All they have to do is just say that you havent been successful, and maybe say that there were a lot of applications or that there were better candidates or something. If a person then contacts them wanting feedback, then they can just explain that they dont provide feedback.
Theres no excuse for not getting back to someone after an interview to say if they were successful or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending