ml8g16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi!

I'm about to graduate Newcastle University with a 2:1 in Philosophy and Politics. However, I want to study Fashion Design at post-graduate level, despite having no relevant qualifications, experience, or portfolio. Does anyone know how I would even begin to go about this? I can't work out whether I'm eligible for a conversion Graduate Diploma or whether my degree is too irrelevant. And if I'm not eligible, I don't know how to go about becoming eligible. Any help appreciated, thank you!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ml8g16)
Hi!

I'm about to graduate Newcastle University with a 2:1 in Philosophy and Politics. However, I want to study Fashion Design at post-graduate level, despite having no relevant qualifications, experience, or portfolio. Does anyone know how I would even begin to go about this? I can't work out whether I'm eligible for a conversion Graduate Diploma or whether my degree is too irrelevant. And if I'm not eligible, I don't know how to go about becoming eligible. Any help appreciated, thank you!
Do you have any experience in fashion/textiles design? If you have a portfolio of the right standard then that will usually be fine to get straight into a masters. If you don’t have a portfolio then I have known students that have taken a foundation diploma or access diploma after a non-creative BA/BSc as a way to convert.
ml8g16
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Do you have any experience in fashion/textiles design? If you have a portfolio of the right standard then that will usually be fine to get straight into a masters. If you don’t have a portfolio then I have known students that have taken a foundation diploma or access diploma after a non-creative BA/BSc as a way to convert.
I don't have any experience yet unfortunately or a portfolio. Do you know where I can find a diploma like that because all the ones I can find are asking for a related degree? Or the foundation ones I can find say they only lead to the undergraduate programme which doesn't seem like a realistic option given that I've already done one undergrad degree.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ml8g16)
I don't have any experience yet unfortunately or a portfolio. Do you know where I can find a diploma like that because all the ones I can find are asking for a related degree? Or the foundation ones I can find say they only lead to the undergraduate programme which doesn't seem like a realistic option given that I've already done one undergrad degree.
The foundation diploma courses I am talking about are level 3 and mainly taken by people going onto their first degree. However, like I say, I know of a few cases where people have used the same course to convert from a non creative undergrad degree before starting a masters course.

I would suggest that you talk to some universities about their postgraduate courses and ask their advice about what they recommend to someone in your situation.
ml8g16
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
The foundation diploma courses I am talking about are level 3 and mainly taken by people going onto their first degree. However, like I say, I know of a few cases where people have used the same course to convert from a non creative undergrad degree before starting a masters course.

I would suggest that you talk to some universities about their postgraduate courses and ask their advice about what they recommend to someone in your situation.
Okay, thank you, will do. I wouldn't have a problem with going that route if it led to a masters but I just need contact the some universities first, like you said, to make sure they'd allow that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (80)
14.18%
I'm not sure (26)
4.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (179)
31.74%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.13%
I'm not a current university student (267)
47.34%

Watched Threads