Maths, Physics, Chemistry & Biology ~ A good A level combination?

Watch
username4486766
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello there,

I have recently started my IAS of Pearson Edexcel, and I took the following subjects:
*Maths (P12, P34, M1 and M2)
*Physics
*Chemistry
*Biology

For note I didn't give Biology exam in my O levels, but I had it back in Grade/Class 9 back in my School. I like to open all options for Science but mostly I am huge interested in Science and Technology want my my like Tony Start (Iron Man) haha!
Most people tells me that, to not keep Biology in A levels as it is a increased amount in A level subjects and for Engineering and for other Sciences Maths, Physics and Chemistry are the best ones.

Thus, I really and heavily need good guidelines for what to choose,

Regards,
Kamrul
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
pick the ones you think you'll enjoy the most. physics and maths would definitely be good for engineering, though if you want to do chemical or biological engineering that'll be a different matter. but it would be a less stressful workload to do 3 subjects, definitely.
D7E
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If I was you I would replace Biology with FURTHER MATHS. It's not that hard to do as you'll get really REALLY good at maths by doing normal and physics and chemistry. Also doing that combination of sujects usually opens up MOST STEM subjects for degrees, except maybe Medicine and biochem/ bio eng / dentistry / vet. From what I've heard; biology is a huge brain processing subject and takes a lot of ram to do, whereas furthermaths although theres new content it's just different ways of doing maths which for many is quite easy to get used to. Most people drop a subject for their 2nd year anyways so you'll probably end up not doing one of their 4 (Biology lol) jk it's up to you man see what you want.
username4486766
Rep:
?
(Original post by entertainmyfaith)
pick the ones you think you'll enjoy the most. physics and maths would definitely be good for engineering, though if you want to do chemical or biological engineering that'll be a different matter. but it would be a less stressful workload to do 3 subjects, definitely.

Teachers and other experts from Pearson Edexcel suggested me to take 3 Subjects as to do good rather than taking more subjects and having bad grades (Quality not Quantity).
(Original post by D7E)
If I was you I would replace Biology with FURTHER MATHS. It's not that hard to do as you'll get really REALLY good at maths by doing normal and physics and chemistry. Also doing that combination of sujects usually opens up MOST STEM subjects for degrees, except maybe Medicine and biochem/ bio eng / dentistry / vet. From what I've heard; biology is a huge brain processing subject and takes a lot of ram to do, whereas furthermaths although theres new content it's just different ways of doing maths which for many is quite easy to get used to. Most people drop a subject for their 2nd year anyways so you'll probably end up not doing one of their 4 (Biology lol) jk it's up to you man see what you want.
Well I did 2 Class for Biology, everything is needed to be memorized so I have seen that it consumes a lot time in my home and I had to spent very less time in studying other subjects; so there is a lot brain works to do as I spent at least 11 hours studying at Home doing P1, M1, Chemistry and Physics so really don't have other time. But could give it some time, as I don't see Biology necessary for Engineering even for Chemical right?

So If I take Further Maths then how many units will it be? Like for example now I have for A level Maths; P1, P2, P3, P3, M1, M2
Now that if I include Further Maths then how many units in addition it will be please explain to me.

And is really Further Maths needed for Engineering? I want to apply to Universities outside like Canada or Australia.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kamrul11)
Hello there,

I have recently started my IAS of Pearson Edexcel, and I took the following subjects:
*Physics
*Chemistry
*Biology

For note I didn't give Biology exam in my O levels, but I had it back in Grade/Class 9 back in my School. I like to open all options for Science but mostly I am huge interested in Science and Technology want my my like Tony Start (Iron Man) haha!
Most people tells me that, to not keep Biology in A levels as it is a increased amount in A level subjects and for Engineering and for other Sciences Maths, Physics and Chemistry are the best ones.

Regards,
Kamrul
Hi Kamrul

I agree with what other posters have said about dropping Biology because it is a heavy workload and not required for Engineering degrees.

Most Engineering degrees will not say that you need Further Maths, (some say they prefer it) but it would be useful as some of the other people on the course will definitely have it so that will give them an advantage. I don't know how the units work in FM so I will let other people answer that bit. But I do know that lots of people get onto Engineering degrees with Maths, FM and Physics alone (or Chemistry too if they are applying for Chemical Engineering).
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I did 2 Class for Biology, everything is needed to be memorized so I have seen that it consumes a lot time in my home and I had to spent very less time in studying other subjects; so there is a lot brain works to do as I spent at least 11 hours studying at Home doing P1, M1, Chemistry and Physics so really don't have other time. But could give it some time, as I don't see Biology necessary for Engineering even for Chemical right?

So If I take Further Maths then how many units will it be? Like for example now I have for A level Maths; P1, P2, P3, P3, M1, M2
Now that if I include Further Maths then how many units in addition it will be please explain to me.

And is really Further Maths needed for Engineering? I want to apply to Universities outside like Canada or Australia.
fm would give you an advantage but i don't think it'd be necessary (i don't do fm sorry)
worth researching a few unis in the country and contacting them to see what they'd prefer.
username4486766
Rep:
?
Well I have contacted some of my mates in my country they have said that as for; IAL Maths
P1, P2, P3, P3, M1 and M2
and now if I include Further Maths then it will be;
P1, P2, P3, P3, M1, M2, FP1, FP2, M3
So its a very large of Maths units with Chemistry and Physics and it will of course consume much time to complete them all. So I have set up my mind that I will stick on the Maths, Physics and Chemistry no need for 4th Subject as its the standard and guided up by many experts including you guys to me.

Thus, I deeply give my greatest gratitude and your kind support to you all those who have posted here to help me out.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well I have contacted some of my mates in my country they have said that as for; IAL Maths
P1, P2, P3, P3, M1 and M2
and now if I include Further Maths then it will be;
P1, P2, P3, P3, M1, M2, FP1, FP2, M3
So its a very large of Maths units with Chemistry and Physics and it will of course consume much time to complete them all. So I have set up my mind that I will stick on the Maths, Physics and Chemistry no need for 4th Subject as its the standard and guided up by many experts including you guys to me.

Thus, I deeply give my greatest gratitude and your kind support to you all those who have posted here to help me out.
Good call. You've been a pleasure to talk to
Ailurophile03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username4486766)
Hello there,

*Physics
*Chemistry
*Biology

Regards,
Kamrul
we have the same subject!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (86)
31.5%
Less motivated (187)
68.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed