The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gren1TI
I'm doing the IGCSE, the GCP science books aren't too helpful for me - they cover many topics I don't do with IGCSE, and the topics they cover are never in enough depth. :frown:

Same for me. I just get the syllabus, and use the Longman's textbook we were given, which goes it lots of detail for everything. I prefer to have too much knowledge, than too little.
Reply 21
I really don't find the CGP books useful with often lurid illustrations and I believe that my notes will probably help me best
just_a_day
I really don't find the CGP books useful with often lurid illustrations and I believe that my notes will probably help me best

I poured sulphuric acid all over my chemistry notes :biggrin:
Reply 23
i am scared aswell :frown:

although i find chemistry kinda easy and physics impossible to the extreme :frown:
V1NY
i am scared aswell :frown:

although i find chemistry kinda easy and physics impossible to the extreme :frown:

Physics needs understanding which I would say most other subjects do not require. If you not understand EM induction, then you need to get your head around it. I spend a day, learning just that and electromagents :s-smilie:
Reply 25
hello....

i just decided that i want to do physics 1 month ago, and so when i got the confirmation after registering i started reading at home and its been only 3 weeks, and am really scared, can anyone please help me out as in how to revise and get through it. i did the paper 3 and it was fine apart from the refraction and electricity questions.....

I dont have any past papers also.. all i have is collins and the longman igcse text books.

PLS HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 26
Dr.HK
hello....

i just decided that i want to do physics 1 month ago, and so when i got the confirmation after registering i started reading at home and its been only 3 weeks, and am really scared, can anyone please help me out as in how to revise and get through it. i did the paper 3 and it was fine apart from the refraction and electricity questions.....

I dont have any past papers also.. all i have is collins and the longman igcse text books.

PLS HELP!!!!!!!!!!

ok, calm down, panicing will get u no where.

use these
Reply 27
hey thnx alot, thats kind of you. i think i have the second one already, just got it from the edexcel website. and yeah i had a go and got 84% in the paper, although i need to really work hard on electromagnets. Have you got any short revision notes? would really appreciate them
Reply 28
revision notes, hmm i dont think so, sorry, all i got are papers, all my notes are written on paper.
RoadWarrior
what the hell is a dynamo? I don't get any of that flux stuff...

I DONT GET IT TOO :biggrin::biggrin:
do we need transformers, generators in the double award physics paper??

i hate electromagnets..seriously i dont really get it and i have to get it at some point.
Reply 31
all you need to know:

when a magnet enters a current, you get an alternating voltage
i really dont understand radioactivity :s-smilie: it sucks big time
Miserable Colours
i really dont understand radioactivity :s-smilie: it sucks big time

Which type - radioactivity decay, fission...
Right Lads and Lasses. Quick masterclass in electromagnetism from The Phenomenal One.
Like poles repel.
Unlike poles attract.
Suspend a magnet and it acts like a compass, it finds MAGNETIC NORTH, not geographic north.
magnet + non magnet = nothing
Magnet + magnetic = attraction by magnet
Magnet + magnetised item = one side attracts, the other repels
field lines go North to South
soft iron used, because it can be magnetised and demagnetised (by reversing the current)
Steel used because its a perminant magnet.
ELECTROMAGNETIC INDUCTION
Magnet rotating in coil/ Coil rotating and magnet stationary
A conductor CUTS field lines
Magnetic field in circuit changes = voltage INDUCED
Increasing induced voltage:
More turns on coil
Increase speed of coil
Use stronger magnet(magnetic field)
Increase area of coil.
Produces alternating voltage +/-
Parts of the coil:
Copper coil, good conductor
Graphite brushes, lubricant, good conductor
Copper commutator rings, Good conductor
FLEMINGS LEFT HAND RULE: Used for Motors (dont worry lads there is a right hand rule too :wink:)
First finger = Field direction
seCond finger = Current direction
thuMb = Motion
If current in coil runs PARALLEL to field lines, NO INDUCTION, NO FIELD LINES CUT
Tell me if u need more
Phenomenal1
Reply 35
Phenomenal1
Right Lads and Lasses. Quick masterclass in electromagnetism from The Phenomenal One.
Like poles repel.
Unlike poles attract.
Suspend a magnet and it acts like a compass, it finds MAGNETIC NORTH, not geographic north.
soft iron used, because it can be magnetised and demagnetised (by reversing the current)
More turns on coil
Increase speed of coil
Increase area of coil.
Parts of the coil:
FLEMINGS LEFT HAND RULE: Used for Motors (dont worry lads there is a right hand rule too :wink:)
thuMb = Motion
If current in coil runs PARALLEL to field lines, NO INDUCTION, NO FIELD LINES CUT
Tell me if u need more
Phenomenal1

nice :smile:
Reply 36
chemistry today and physics tomorrow :frown:
Good luck all. I have 2 hours to revise chem now!
ooo..
hope physics wont be too hard
Phenomenal1
Like poles repel.
Unlike poles attract.
More turns on coil
Increase speed of coil
Increase area of coil.
Parts of the coil:
thuMb = Motion
Tell me if u need more
Phenomenal1

NICEEE. and thank you :biggrin:

Latest