Vee_004
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,
Is the first year of doing A levels the most important year? because a few people have told me the first year is and I'm getting slightly anxious... please can someone confirm if this is true?
I thought it was the Second year that is the most important because that's the final year and the year you leave and are able to go to university if you get good enough grades.
So I guess what my questio is... do the first year results really matter compared to the second year results?

I know this probably sounds stupid because A levels matter a lot in general but I'm just a little anxious...

Thx
V
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
There is no objective answer to this, although one could probably come to a judgement after weighing out the factors that make both years important. Personally, I would say both years are of equal importance, and you should work that way.
entertainmyfaith
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
both years are pretty important- second year objectively more because of exams and uni, i guess but if you don't have a good work ethic first year and aren't prepared you'll struggle with a2, though it's possible (but difficult) to catch up. the more effort you put in first year, the more manageable second year will be. don't stress too much but just remember to work hard.
big_mood
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Given that AS is gone, I think A Levels can now be looked at as one thing that has to be split in two due to time constraints. Content from both years is going to be covered in your exams in yr13 so in that regards there isn’t really a difference. Then again, the content covered in your second year is usually the ‘harder’ stuff and having a good basis from the first year will help a lot.
Year one’s not objectively more important but it is still pretty important. If you just get the work done in the first year and make sure you work on the stuff you find difficult you should have a good start come second year.
So first year’s not the MOST important, but it’s not not important
Zabidoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I'm doing a-levels next yr and I've nvr heard about any of this 😂
Can someone break the first and second yr down...and the exams cuz I don't understand
(I want to do sociology, law and art/maths)
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Six Two (Year 13) is the most important, because that's when you'll have your most important exams. Whether or not you have to do ASes at the end of Year 12, the summative assessment of the whole A-level spec is crucial.

This doesn't give you a free pass through Six One - build the foundation for A-level success in that first year, but the edifice gets completed in the second year. If ASes form part of your A-level (as they are in Wales), you also have the chance in Year 13 to resit any units you may not have been happy with the first time around.

Remember, if you're going to try for university admission whilst at school, your teachers will largely have to base their predictions on the work you've done in the first year. Impress them then, and they'll be able to give you a solid reference.
big_mood
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Zabidoo)
I'm doing a-levels next yr and I've nvr heard about any of this 😂
Can someone break the first and second yr down...and the exams cuz I don't understand
(I want to do sociology, law and art/maths)
So it used to be you’d do your AS exams at the end of Year 12 (these covered the content learnt in year 12) and A2 exams at the end of Year 13 (year 13 content) but that’s now changed so you do one lot of exams at the end of year 13 which covers all of year 12 and all of year 13 content
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by big_mood)
So it used to be you’d do your AS exams at the end of Year 12 (these covered the content learnt in year 12) and A2 exams at the end of Year 13 (year 13 content) but that’s now changed so you do one lot of exams at the end of year 13 which covers all of year 12 and all of year 13 content
This change is true in England, but the revised A-levels in Wales still require you to take ASes. The difference here now is that the split between AS and A2 is 40:60, instead of the previous 50:50.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
The most important part of Year 12 is getting the predictions you need to be in a reasonable position to get offers from your preferred universities. Other than that I can't imagine why someone would say that Year 12 is more important. You can easily make up for any shortcomings you discover in your Year 12 mocks over the summer.
big_mood
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
This change is true in England, but the revised A-levels in Wales still require you to take ASes. The difference here now is that the split between AS and A2 is 40:60, instead of the previous 50:50.
Yeah soz you’re right👍 from england so went with what I knew was right here
学生の父
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yeah soz you’re right👍 from england so went with what I knew was right here
No worries. It was easier when we all did things the same way!
big_mood
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 学生の父)
No worries. It was easier when we all did things the same way!
tru dat
Zabidoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Well that's depressing...so it's like gcse but a lot harder?
Learn stuff for 2 years then have it all blasted at u in the exam?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (213)
53.12%
No (188)
46.88%

Watched Threads