Why are Audi, BMW and Mercedes popular in uk? Watch

Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
It's timing chain tensioner is not hand-adjusted, but operated by oil pressure. As a result, it doesn't work properly when engine is not heated up, which shortens the lifespan of said chain if engine is mainly used on short distances.
The piston rings were faulty, wearing out quckly causing oil conspution after passing 120k kilometers of mileage, which is would be considered a terribly low lifespan in the 80ies, not to mention there were several reported issues of new cars consuming up to 0,5 sometimes even 1 litre of engine oil per 1000km, which, with an older gen engine would be considered as a sign that the engine has underwent large mileage and requires urgent capital repair. Also the use of direct injection system together with exhaust fuses recirculation system resulted in the intake system being covered in soot, which after certain mileage causes diameter reduction in the intake system, as a result lower power output, unless the intake channels are cleaned every certain mileage.
For these reasons many cars required expensive repairs after mileages much lower than those when they normally should be necessary or repairs that in other engines never have to be done.
Eventually they improved them (to an extent), but TSI and TFSI are regarded as one of the worst engines in cars currently used en masse on the streets.

Not to mention it's not good to have a turbocharger and supercharger in a car that is not supposed to win extra seconds on a racing track. It gives you extra power but also extra chances of failure and extra costs when repairing.
130,000 miles without major problems. Needs a litre of oil about every 3 months. And it's a usefully quick car still.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
130,000 miles without major problems. Needs a litre of oil about every 3 months. And it's a usefully quick car still.
And what were minor problems?
These reports must come from somewhere, either you got lucky, you have an improved model or the reports are the similar nature as the stereotype of mental geniuses. Then slightly more often there are problems but by no means usually.
Your oil consumption is not very bad, but there are engines that don't consume engine oil at all, even at that mileage.

Still the list of problems with TFSI is quite impressive, considering that Rover K16 was considered (in it's time) as a low-lifespan, produced with with poor tolerances and unreliable, while the only problem of that engine were head gasket failures, happening usually when these engines were not used properly. A properly used K16 should do 190 k miles with head gasket replaced once. I have such engine, 1997 built, and not a single sensor had to be ever replaced.
Last edited by PTMalewski; 2 weeks ago
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
And what were minor problems?
These reports must come from somewhere, either you got lucky, you have an improved model or the reports are the similar nature as the stereotype of mental geniuses. Then slightly more often there are problems but by no means usually.
Your oil consumption is not very bad, but there are engines that don't consume engine oil at all, even at that mileage.

Still the list of problems with TFSI is quite impressive, considering that Rover K16 was considered (in it's time) as a low-lifespan, produced with with poor tolerances and unreliable, while the only problem of that engine were head gasket failures, happening usually when these engines were not used properly. A properly used K16 should do 190 k miles with head gasket replaced once. I have such engine, 1997 built, and not a single sensor had to be ever replaced.
Engine-wise a new rocker cover gasket last year.
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Engine-wise a new rocker cover gasket last year.
That's very minor indeed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads