lanababe78
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hiya,

i'm a year 12 student, studying a-levels in biology, chemistry and psychology.
i've recently been thinking i might apply for chemistry at university.
i'm aware that some universities require a-level maths, whilst others don't.
i was just wondering how hard the maths in a chemistry degree is (may sound sound stupid, but on a scale of 1-10, maybe?). i'm not the best with maths (hence why i didn't choose it as an a-level, but i did get a 7/A in GCSE maths, so i'm not the worst ever, but i just don't really enjoy it.
so, would i survive a chemistry degree without a-level maths? is the maths bearable? :/

thank you so much for any replies xxx
cath_slater
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey I’m in year 13 and I’m planning on doing a Chem degree at uni. I am doing a level maths as I was told it helps and it does but the maths isn’t impossible if you haven’t done a level maths. There’s a small amount in the A2 part of the course which you will come across in year 13 but it’s not horrible. Definitely doable 👍🏻
lanababe78
Rep:
?
(Original post by cath_slater)
Hey I’m in year 13 and I’m planning on doing a Chem degree at uni. I am doing a level maths as I was told it helps and it does but the maths isn’t impossible if you haven’t done a level maths. There’s a small amount in the A2 part of the course which you will come across in year 13 but it’s not horrible. Definitely doable 👍🏻
thank you so much for taking the time out to reply! this really helped- thank you so much! x
ThatGuy107
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I’m in year 13 and doing Biochem at uni. Without maths you should be okay provided you put in the effort to learn the maths you need. It’s not too hard and the main thing you’ll have to learn will be something called ‘Logarithms’, along with forming and solving quadratics. Spend some time doing these and I’m sure you’ll be fine!
lanababe78
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thomas_Grimes_17)
Hi, I’m in year 13 and doing Biochem at uni. Without maths you should be okay provided you put in the effort to learn the maths you need. It’s not too hard and the main thing you’ll have to learn will be something called ‘Logarithms’, along with forming and solving quadratics. Spend some time doing these and I’m sure you’ll be fine!
hi! this was so very helpful- thank you so much for taking the time out to reply! x
username2775496
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm currently doing A2 Chem without Maths
You don't really need maths to survive chemistry

I mean, its not paramount that you do maths but you won't die without it
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've done chemistry at uni - typically if a uni doesn't require you to have an A level in maths then during first year they will teach you the maths you need to know - natural logs, differentiation, integration, calculating errors, simple conversion equations
It's all relatively simple, it's mainly patterns to remember i.e. to differentiation a number you "times by the power, and lower the power by one"
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
CheeseIsVeg might have some input.

Generally it's not a requirement for most chemistry degrees for admissions purposes, but as above you will cover that material (and often some more) sooner or later in such a degree.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 year ago
Alropsr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lanababe78)
hiya,

i was just wondering how hard the maths in a chemistry degree is (may sound sound stupid, but on a scale of 1-10, maybe?). i'm not the best with maths (hence why i didn't choose it as an a-level, but i did get a 7/A in GCSE maths, so i'm not the worst ever, but i just don't really enjoy it.
so, would i survive a chemistry degree without a-level maths? is the maths bearable? :/

There's a lot of A level math concepts in higher chemistry so you would need to self teach it
username4466608
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by iElvendork)
I've done chemistry at uni - typically if a uni doesn't require you to have an A level in maths then during first year they will teach you the maths you need to know - natural logs, differentiation, integration, calculating errors, simple conversion equations
It's all relatively simple, it's mainly patterns to remember i.e. to differentiation a number you "times by the power, and lower the power by one"
but theres a whole lot more to differentiation than that!
iElvendork
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Certainty)
but theres a whole lot more to differentiation than that!
Sure.. but I was just giving an example, I wasn't attempting to teach them properly
lpmkonji
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing the exact same a levels as you, and i got offers from all my unis for chemistry. they all do catch up classes in the first term for people who didn't do a level maths.
University of Bath
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lanababe78)
hiya,

Hi there,
Whether or not maths would be required to apply for chemistry depends on the university - some will require it, others won't. At Bath, you need to have chemistry plus one other maths or science subject (those being biology, physics, maths or further maths). So, with your A-Levels beign biology, chemistry and psychology, you could apply to Bath but as I said, some universities may require maths. As maths is not an A-Level requirement, they will cover any maths you need to know in the lectures or workshops. If you needed extra help, we do have a maths help centre here at Bath (called MASH) for students who are struggling with any maths on their course. However, I wouldn't worry as if the maths was going to be a big part of the degree and would be difficult, they would make it an A-Level requirement.
I hope this helps,
Eryn, a second year Natural Sciences student
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Royal Society of Chemistry what do you think?
Royal Society of Chemistry
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there,

As has been stated it is not a requirement so it is expected for a number of students to not have completed A Level Maths and as University of Bath said the Maths you will need is covered in full in lectures and you will have the opportunity to do workshops for you to brush up on these skills if you feel the need to.

The Royal Society of Chemistry offers support to our student members and for first years in particular we have some helpful guides and resources for you to brush up on your Maths. There is plenty of support out there for you if you know where to look so don't feel you would be left behind at any point in your course.

Let us know if you have anymore questions,

All the best
Jack
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34%
No (493)
66%

Watched Threads