The Student Room Group

Opinions on these lessons

Geography or history?Which one should I take for GCSE?
I’m in year 9 choosing my options but I just can’t decide which one to take
I like both subjects and I’m equally good at both so it’s hard to decide
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Whichever you enjoy more pretty much. Do you have any idea what you want to do for A-level, or even after that?
People say Geography's easier.

In fact, in my school they only let the more able kids do History - the others have to do Geography whether they like it or not. Occasionally someone insists on doing it - as in they get their parents involved - and the school has to relent but those kids normally end up failing the subject anyway. So that could be worth considering.
Well history will have longer essays etc compared to geography (where there are still high mark questions, however not as much as history).
In geography there are case studies and all that to remember.

I'd say geography is more 'sciencey' than history
I take geography, and it isn't hard but its loads and loads of context to remember (theres like 16 case studies). but history has facts and key dates to remember...

also the way examiners mark geography papers it strange eg its not 1 point = 1 mark its link 2 points and that's 4 marks. so its harder to write longer questions.

If you can remember things easily then id recommend geography but its two not great options in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest