Well then she's a fool. Studying gets you work
Reply 2
Original post by Kookerella
Well then she's a fool. Studying gets you work

Ikr 😂
Study good = good grades
Good grades= good job
Good job= good wage
Good wage= good life (or better life than poor life which is what I live in rn 😂😭)
Is she what you britishers call a ‘chav’?
Original post by B*stard-Indian

Clearly they’re just two different people. Of course the sister was wrong to question where studying can get you but having a strong work ethic doesn’t make one a ‘Chav’.
Reply 5

Shes not a chav but shes not good at studying. She says "you go to uni and you may be wasting your time. Some people start working young. In this day and age I would rather get a job. And studying does your head in"
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Shes not a chav but shes not good at studying. She says "you go to uni and you may be wasting your time. Some people start working young. In this day and age I would rather get a job. And studying does your head in"

Get a good job and prove her wrong...u go girl 😂
My Brahmin family wouldn’t approve
It’s people like THIS that the Most Hounerable Theresa May is trying to take down. Sucking the economy dry. We have too many like this in India too unfortunately
No. She holds antiquated views which portray work and education being in dissonance. These views are objectively wrong in my opinion.

Many older people from working class backgrounds are very much like this. This is because quite a good few left school with not much or nothing, or simply didn't go to school at all. Most found employment pretty much as soon as they left school, few progressed onto further education. They've still been able to find employment without the need of any formal qualifications, and so their personal experiences make them view education as pointless. Furthermore, they pretty much view employment as the only factor as to someone's worth; if you're not employed, then you're lazy and not doing anything 'in the real world', even if you're in education and building your way up through the world.
However, that isn't the case today, as a decent set of GCSEs are prerequisites for many lines of employment. Hence, straight away, studying is essential for employment. There are more students going into further education than ever, not to mention that pathways such as vocational courses and apprenticeships are booming and are equally respected paths. Students go to university to increase their employment prospects, that's the whole point, so how is it a waste of time?
But no matter which path you go down, you have to educate yourself and study. You have to gain qualifications and build a CV, it's how employment potential increases. Studying and employment go hand in hand.

Education is far from pointless, and just because it does her head in doesn't mean to say that it has no value. She's obviously too naive to realise that education is ubiquitous, and being educated is necessary in every line of work. Without education, we'd go backwards as a society.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kian Stevens
No. She holds antiquated views which portray work and education being in dissonance. These views are objectively wrong in my opinion.

Many older people from working class backgrounds are very much like this. This is because quite a good few left school with not much or nothing, or simply didn't go to school at all. Most found employment pretty much as soon as they left school, few progressed onto further education. They've still been able to find employment without the need of any formal qualifications, and so their personal experiences make them view education as pointless. Furthermore, they pretty much view employment as the only factor as to someone's worth; if you're not employed, then you're lazy and not doing anything 'in the real world'.
However, that isn't the case today, as a decent set of GCSEs are prerequisites for many lines of employment. Hence, straight away, studying is essential for employment. There are more students going into further and higher education than ever, not to mention that things like vocational courses and apprenticeships are booming and are equally respected paths. Students go to university to increase their employment prospects, that's the whole point, so how is it a waste of time?
But no matter which path you go down, you have to educate yourself and study. You have to gain qualifications and build a CV, it's how employment potential increases. Studying and employment go hand in hand.

Education is far from pointless, and just because it does her head in doesn't mean to say that it has no value. She's obviously too naive to realise that education is ubiquitous, and being educated is necessary in every line of work. Without education, we'd go backwards as a society.

Get off your high horse. You are coming across really snobby.
Get off your high horse. You are coming across really snobby.

There's no snobbiness about my comment. Apologies if that's how you took it.
All I said was how necessary education is now and how old-fashioned views, regardless of how prominent they still are, are invalid in today's society. What I've said is simply from my own experience of being in a working class society of older folk who either didn't go to school or left with little from it, and yet are still successfully employed today. However, like I said, that's not possible the large majority of the time since GCSEs are prerequisites.
(edited 5 years ago)
There's no snobbiness about my comment. Apologies if that's how you took it.
All I said was how necessary education is now and how old-fashioned views, regardless of how prominent they still are, are invalid in today's society. What I've said is simply from my own experience of being in a working class society of older folk who didn't go to school, yet are still successfully employed today. However, like I said, that's not possible the large majority of the time since GCSEs are prerequisites.

Old fashioned views don’t come from working class people, they come from general idiot people. Don’t blame the working class.
Old fashioned views don’t come from working class people, they come from general idiot people. Don’t blame the working class.

I'm not blaming the working class. I'm part of a large working class family, why would I be blaming people such as my family? Where's the snobbery in that?
However, it's not hard to see that most of the people who shoot others down for being in education and not employment tend to be the ones who went straight into employment without requiring qualifications, and these people are from the working class period where qualifications weren't prerequisites like they are today. They didn't require school to progress, hence they don't see education in exactly the same light as the students of today do. Calling people idiots for their opinions though is snobby.
There's still a working class today, however the difference is that qualifications are necessary for many lines of work.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm not blaming the working class. I'm part of a large working class family, why would I be blaming people such as my family? Where's the snobbery in that?
It's not hard to see that most of the people who shoot others down for being in education and not employment tend to be the ones who went straight into employment without requiring qualifications, and these people are from the working class period where qualifications weren't prerequisites like they are today. They didn't require school to progress, hence they don't see education in exactly the same light as the students of today do.
There's still a working class today, however the difference is that qualifications are necessary for many lines of work.

There is nothing wrong with hating your family.
There is nothing wrong with hating your family.

If that's all you can think to reply to my comment, then there's no point discussing this with you.
I appreciate my family's views, they appreciate mine. They don't see education exactly as I do, I don't see employment exactly as they do. There's no hate, but appreciation of views. There's absolutely no snobbery in that, or discussing who the majority of people are who have some of those views and why they have them.
However, like I said, resorting to insults because someone's opinion doesn't match yours is snobby.
If that's all you can think to reply to my comment, then there's no point discussing this with you.
I appreciate my family's views, they appreciate mine. They don't see education exactly as I do, I don't see employment exactly as they do. There's no hate, but appreciation of views. There's absolutely no snobbery in that, or discussing who the majority of people are who have some of those views and why they have them.
However, like I said, resorting to insults because someone's opinion doesn't match yours is snobby.

You are angry
You are angry

Nope, there's no anger in this debate.
There's just no point in initiating a debate with me, by arguing against my points, to then resort to obviously deflecting my comments with meaningless replies.

Many older people from working class backgrounds are very much like this. This is because quite a good few left school with not much or nothing, or simply didn't go to school at all. Most found employment pretty much as soon as they left school, few progressed onto further education. They've still been able to find employment without the need of any formal qualifications, and so their personal experiences make them view education as pointless. Furthermore, they pretty much view employment as the only factor as to someone's worth; if you're not employed, then you're lazy and not doing anything 'in the real world', even if you're in education and building your way up through the world.
However, that isn't the case today, as a decent set of GCSEs are prerequisites for many lines of employment. Hence, straight away, studying is essential for employment. There are more students going into further education than ever, not to mention that pathways such as vocational courses and apprenticeships are booming and are equally respected paths. Students go to university to increase their employment prospects, that's the whole point, so how is it a waste of time?

She went to uni with a btec. I think shes trying to imply that i'm too stupid for A levels and uni (or even btecs for that matter) because of my decent but not above aversge gcse grades. I actually did really well at AS and now ahe is judging me because she thinks the work made me ill when I actually made myself ill hence why I have dropped out of A2. Shes treating me like i am the dumbest in my family when I am actually the cleverest and the only one to have done A level.
I can see where she's coming from, tbh. It is possible to do alright for yourself as a school leaver. Although, education CAN help with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending