Views: 28
Size:  301.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  277.8 KB Part C
Here’s the mark scheme
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  168.4 KB I understand the first point and the 2nd point
And I understand that less oxidative phosphorylation occurs. What I don’t understand is why no ATP is made . The first 2 redox reactions produce ATP so how come the only ATP produced will be from glycolysis ?

And another partially irrelevant question , the water produced by respiration , is it lost or can it be used / stay in the body for all its uses?
Attached files
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Q1: The electron transport CHAIN is a perpetual (like) reaction, where each step depends on the product of the previous step; therefore when the last step is blocked, it ultimately causes stoppage of ALL steps.

Q2: Any chemical or substance in the body has its levels in the body (and, more specifically, in every tissue/organ) determined by the overall balance of various (reversible) reactions/processes. Therefore, some of the water that is an end-product of respiration is breathed out as water vapour (the reason a mirror gets fogged up if you breathe out on it!!), some will be lost in sweat, particularly during physical exertion OR in hot weather [which is absent in UK!), and some might be used in various physiological processes in the body, e.g. as a component of blood or lymph, or as synovial fluid in a joint, etc (the same variable fate as any other water in the body e.g. that you drank last night during your clubbing (remember, beer is mostly water!) would face).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.2%
I'm not sure (59)
4.53%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (381)
29.24%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.84%
I'm not a current university student (641)
49.19%

Watched Threads