The Student Room Group

EU/ UK maintenance loan

I've been living in the UK for 13 years but have a Polish citizenship. Will I be eligible for a maintenance loan because when I use the calculator on the gov website it says that EU citizens are usually not eligible for maintenance? I will be starting my course in October 2019.
Original post by ZP731
I've been living in the UK for 13 years but have a Polish citizenship. Will I be eligible for a maintenance loan because when I use the calculator on the gov website it says that EU citizens are usually not eligible for maintenance? I will be starting my course in October 2019.

Hi there,

Can you confirm if you have settled status in the UK such as Indefinite Leave to Remain or Indefinite Leave to Enter?

Thanks, Andy
Reply 2
Hi Andy,

Thank you for the quick reply.

Unfortunately I do not know if I have such a document. Up till now (i.e. before brexit) when all the borders were open I didn't need any documents to confirm residency because Poland is part of the EU. Is Indefinite leave to Remain something I have to apply for, or is it assigned to you automatically after a certain numer of years? If it makes any difference I have always gone to school in the UK and my parents both work here.

Thanks Zuzanna
Hi Zuzanna,

If an EU national has been in the UK for 5 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of their course, then you would be eligible to apply to receive funding as a home student.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 4
Ahh thats useful to know. Thankyou for taking the time to reply to me.
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Zuzanna,

If an EU national has been in the UK for 5 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of their course, then you would be eligible to apply to receive funding as a home student.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending