luckyangel_.x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi,

I'm doing an essay for school titled:'Is life after death possible?' If you have any contributions to make for or against the argument, please comment!

I have another question as well. So, after we die, many religions believe that our body remains, however our soul/spirit lives on (either in Heaven or Hell). How does our spirit feel pain in Hell, when we don't have a body, brain, neurons, blood etc.

Thanks!!
Izzythestudent
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Scientifically speaking, it’s not possible, as death is literally the end of life
Good luck w your essay!
Ben0Phillips
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Nobody knows. Atheists think they do, Athiests talk about "eternal oblivion", a concept that I find believe is unsubstantiated as reincarnation or heaven/hell. If that is what happens after you die, why were you conscious in the first place? People who have a NDE and claim that there was "nothing" on the other side have had a memory lapse, people who have a NDE and claim that there was a light have had a hallucination.
The truth is, consciousness is barely understood by psychologists. We may never truly understand it nor will we ever understand what happens after we die until we die.
The only "afterlife" that I have the remotest amount of confidence in would be Nietzche's eternal return. That after death, your awareness transcends time and space and you relive your entire life over again.
Last edited by Ben0Phillips; 10 months ago
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Ben0Phillips)
Nobody knows. Atheists think they do, Athiests talk about "eternal oblivion", a concept that I find believe is unsubstantiated as reincarnation or heaven/hell. If that is what happens after you die, why were you conscious in the first place? People who have a NDE and claim that there was "nothing" on the other side have had a memory lapse, people who have a NDE and claim that there was a light have had a hallucination.
The truth is, consciousness is barely understood by psychologists. We may never truly understand it nor will we ever understand what happens after we die until we die.
The only "afterlife" that I have the remotest amount of confidence in would be Nietzche's eternal return. That after death, your awareness transcends time and space and you relive your entire life over again.
Don’t generalise any group, it weakens your points.

Atheism isn’t based on any belief system, we just simply don’t believe in a god.
It usually follows that with no god there is no reason to suspect that any kind of afterlife is possible, but we don’t say we know with certainty.
jamesbarry17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I would say that the religious idea of life after death alludes to the evolutionary idea that our legacy on Earth continues when we die in the form of our children and our influence in the world, and the idea of reaching Heaven is like saying you can be perfectly happy with your life on Earth as long as you did the best you could. But it's a very abstract idea that I haven't thought about much and that I'm not sure would fit into a GCSE essay. Sorry

(Original post by luckyangel_.x)
I have another question as well. So, after we die, many religions believe that our body remains, however our soul/spirit lives on (either in Heaven or Hell). How does our spirit feel pain in Hell, when we don't have a body, brain, neurons, blood etc.
I guess our spirit would feel 'metaphysical pain' as Hell is a metaphysical "place" (if place is the right word). I think the key to understanding religious ideas is to stop thinking about them as literal descriptions of reality. Hell is not a place; it is a concept (as far as I can tell).
cuber314159
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
"I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?" John 3:12
of course it is not possible within an earth-only viewpoint but if there is a god, if the Bible is true, which it very clearly is, then of course it is possible. I don't think it will be on earth as a new heaven and earth will be created after judgement day but it does exist just not in our physical understanding of our universe.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (9)
9.57%
They've been reasonable (35)
37.23%
Not feeling great... (26)
27.66%
They are TERRIBLE! (24)