Whats the best was to pick a firm choice?

Watch
faerin47
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
When choosing the universities I wanted to apply to, I only really looked into the courses, because I only wanted a specific type of course,which ai found at my choices, so I know that I like the sound of all of the four choices I have offers to, but from here I’m not sure what the best course of action is, to decide my firm course.
If i decide mainly by looking at the size of the uni, I’d opt for a smaller university rather than a large one, which halves my options, but being an arts student, the smaller universities are purely arts unis, so I’d be surrounded by mainly arts students instead of a range.
Another thing I can consider is the city it’s located in, as I’d rather live in a city, but a smaller, less built up city, like home.
Then there are the league tables, which suggest different things as the student satisfaction and graduate prospects aren’t directly proportional so I’d have to look at one section over another, or the overall ranking.
Since it’s already February, it’s too late to attend open days to look and ask about the universities, so the best I can do is check out the city (unless there are applicant days, which only some options offer).
So which is the most important things to think of when making a decision?
The size and type of population, the location, the course or the rankings?

(edit: the header is supposed to say ‘the best way’ but i didnt notice until it was too late)
Last edited by faerin47; 1 year ago
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by faerin47)
When choosing the universities I wanted to apply to, I only really looked into the courses, because I only wanted a specific type of course,which ai found at my choices, so I know that I like the sound of all of the four choices I have offers to, but from here I’m not sure what the best course of action is, to decide my firm course.
If i decide mainly by looking at the size of the uni, I’d opt for a smaller university rather than a large one, which halves my options, but being an arts student, the smaller universities are purely arts unis, so I’d be surrounded by mainly arts students instead of a range.
Another thing I can consider is the city it’s located in, as I’d rather live in a city, but a smaller, less built up city, like home.
Then there are the league tables, which suggest different things as the student satisfaction and graduate prospects aren’t directly proportional so I’d have to look at one section over another, or the overall ranking.
Since it’s already February, it’s too late to attend open days to look and ask about the universities, so the best I can do is check out the city (unless there are applicant days, which only some options offer).
So which is the most important things to think of when making a decision?
The size and type of population, the location, the course or the rankings?

(edit: the header is supposed to say ‘the best way’ but i didnt notice until it was too late)
It's depends on the university, but some may still have open days left, os it might be worth checking out. If you do have more questions about the university or course, you are still able to contact the department. They would be happy to help!

In terms of what should be the most important factors in your decision making, it depends on what it is important to the individual. For me, I had visited previously on an open day and liked the university and the department, I thought the course was most interesting and I liked the city and its location. Think about which things are more important (you may wish to rank the different factors in importance, or make a list of pros and cons for each university) and then make a decision based on this. You are spending the next three to four years and a lot of time and money, so you want to pick somewhere which is suited to you and where you would be happiest!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
usually visit days are in feb/march after you have received offers so contact the unis. What course and universities are involved. How far from home do you wish to be. Do you want a campus or city university. Would you be at home in a small or big city. Think on these but ring universities on Monday to try to arrange visits.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (598)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (735)
41.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (351)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.48%

Watched Threads