Can i book a holiday online at 17?

Watch this thread
x-minnie moose -x
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi!
Right me and my friend have planned for ages about going on holiday and we're gonna book it next week when we both get paid.
However we're both 17, BUT my mate will be 18 by the time we go away.
But because we're both 17 will there be a problem with booking??

We're booking it online too, so when it asks for our birth date...we're thinking it wont allow us to book?

Thanks for any help!
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 14 years ago
Ohh. Tough one. It might accept that you are 18 at time of travel. Not sure.

Try it and find out. xD
Spotty Dog
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Don't know if this helps.

Better Half and I have just booked a holiday within a travel agency. I've just scanned the T+C of the documents we got and found this;

By signing below, I confirm I am over 18 years old.

However, that is in-store. I'll do some more hunting.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
More hunting done;

Don't know who you're booking with, but things do not look good.

(Original post by Thomas Cook @ ThomasCook.com)
[ To use this site ] You must be 18 years of age or over and have legal capacity.
(Original post by First Choice @ firstchoice.co.uk)
You represent that you are of sufficient legal age to use this site.
I can't find any T+C on Holiday Hypermarket (but that may because they just a proxy to book holidays with other companies and therefore default to their policies), nor on Teletext (see above) or Thomson. But, that doesn't mean such legislation does not exist. =/ It's a bit of a grey area.
Howells
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
When you book holidays they normally require the age you will be when travelling - I know this is how they qualify things like 'Kids under 5 eat free' and so on. Perhaps try chatting with your travel agent?
Ginger_Rogers
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
I don't know about online, but you can definitely do it within a travel agency. Me and my friend went to Tenerife when we were 17, you just need a written note from your parents saying it's ok.
Ed.
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
Yes I did it at 16 last year.
But to go through a travel agent the lead passenger has to be 18.

You can get round it by booking flights and hotel independently which is what I did.
Spotty Dog
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ginger_Rogers)
I don't know about online, but you can definitely do it within a travel agency. Me and my friend went to Tenerife when we were 17, you just need a written note from your parents saying it's ok.
Yeah. Don't know how it would work online though.

You might have to book with an agent.
Ed.
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
Yeah. Don't know how it would work online though.

You might have to book with an agent.
With an on-line travel agent you may struggle. But if you become your own travel agent and book flights+hotles+transfers yourself then there will be no trouble.
tom_tom_tom
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
i booked all the stuff separately

ie: flights, accomidation and wot not!

easyjet you have to be 15 to fly on you own so there is no worry there

and im sure you could find a hotel!
x-minnie moose -x
Rep:
Oh damn! It doesnt look good then...thanks for checking for me spotty dog!

Oooh so we shall be ok with the flights then? Just the accomadation?

I'll have to look into buying them seperate then!
Spotty Dog
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by x-minnie moose -x)
Oh damn! It doesnt look good then...thanks for checking for me spotty dog!
You're welcome.

Another thing to consider is to hold onto the money and book a late deal. That way, you'll be 18 anyway. xD
Ed.
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
i booked all the stuff separately

ie: flights, accomidation and wot not!

easyjet you have to be 15 to fly on you own so there is no worry there

and im sure you could find a hotel!
:beer: Go invention. Where are you going?
tom_tom_tom
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
:beer: Go invention. Where are you going?
Im off to france to stay with my aunt on my own :teeth: scary lol

i went to portugual last year though!
Ed.
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
Im off to france to stay with my aunt on my own :teeth: scary lol

i went to portugual last year though!
Is she a mad aunt. That would be scary..
annab1684
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
I was going to say.. I've booked a flight to spain and I'm 16, there must be a way of doing it with each element separately.
tom_tom_tom
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ed.)
Is she a mad aunt. That would be scary..
Haha nahh i just dont trust myself to get there in one piece

my aunts safe
pinkhyppie
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
of course you can no problems.
paint-paradise
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 14 years ago
If you do it independantly of travel agents and the like of course you can. I went to Germany with friends this year (im 16). The hostel said the needed written parental permission because we were under 18, causing much rushed forgery of notes for the ones of us that forgot. In the end no-one even asked
x
x-minnie moose -x
Rep:
I think i've found a website where i can book a holiday online!!

Lastminute.com

I tried it buy entering our ages and when i clicked on continue it just asked for my card details!

So then i rang them up and asked them about booking at 17 and he was like yeh thats fine. But i dont know if he really understood what i meant lol.

I tried looking at terms and conditions of booking but cant find anything about age
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.05%
The paper was reasonable (270)
41.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.17%
It was TERRIBLE (49)
7.49%

Watched Threads