Well, this will be fun... Watch

EdtheSnek
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm from NI and I'm in Year 14 at the minute. Best of luck with your mocks and your GCSEs!
phyf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by EdtheSnek)
I'm from NI and I'm in Year 14 at the minute. Best of luck with your mocks and your GCSEs!
Thank you! What subjects are you doing?
EdtheSnek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by phyf)
Thank you! What subjects are you doing?
Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics
phyf
Rep:
?
Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics
What do you think of maths and physics? I'm doing them next year
Tolgarda
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by phyf)
Aqa follows the English curriculum which isnt as "intense" as the northern Irish one, so it has to be easier
Sorry, but how do you know that it 'isn't as intense' as the Northern Irish one. Trust me, I think you'll find that they are not too different in terms of intensity.
EdtheSnek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by phyf)
What do you think of maths and physics? I'm doing them next year
I really enjoy them both and I have found that they lend to each other a lot. For maths AS was a bit of a jump from GCSE but I think CCEA have changed the spec so I'd try to ask some current year 13s what they think.
phyf
Rep:
?
I really enjoy them both and I have found that they lend to each other a lot. For maths AS was a bit of a jump from GCSE but I think CCEA have changed the spec so I'd try to ask some current year 13s what they think.
I think it's still meant to be a bit of a jump but Im doing further maths GCSE so I should be fine
Thanks for Ur help!
x.emilye
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Wow it's looking like you've got a bright future ahead of you I'm so sorry you're struggling with mental health issues - remember to always take care of your mind first and it's okay to take a days off now and again
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/rev...stay-motivated (I wrote this about how I got all 9s and stayed motivated, hope it helps you)
Wishing you all the best.
phyf
Rep:
?
(Original post by x.emilye)
Wow it's looking like you've got a bright future ahead of you I'm so sorry you're struggling with mental health issues - remember to always take care of your mind first and it's okay to take a days off now and again
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/rev...stay-motivated (I wrote this about how I got all 9s and stayed motivated, hope it helps you)
Wishing you all the best.
Thank you so much!! That's such a useful article, I'll be following some of the advice on it for sure!
x.emilye
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by phyf)
Thank you so much!! That's such a useful article, I'll be following some of the advice on it for sure!
Thanks, glad to hear that
Malik Larter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by phyf)
In northern Ireland gcses are taken across year 11+12, so ur 14 at the start of year 11 and 16 by the end of year 12. Pretty sure that's the same as yrs 10/11 in the rest of UK??
Yea it is
phyf
Rep:
?
So.. mocks are all over now!
It's so good not to have to revise (I'm gonna take a week or two off before I start going at it again for the real thing)
Had the inevitable post-exam breakdown today which was, you know, fun.
So far, I've gotten physics, geography, chemistry, music and Irish back and they're all As !!
My Irish teacher kinda annoyed me today though. After the class she called me up to her desk and was like congratulating me on my writing paper (47/50) and then started complaining about my reading (40/50-still an a??). She kept saying stuff about how I should have got an A* and that an A wasn't really good enough- bare in mind that my target grade has always been an A. It kinda just annoyed me because I really did try, it's just I find reading papers a bit more difficult. Also, it suffered because I had 3 exams that day (in the summer the most I have in one day is 2) and, as we all know by know, the old mind isn't the most happy at any given point. I feel like it wasn't really fair for her to get frustrated with me, especially considering that about 7 people in the class got a U.
Also, because of that, I ended up crying in my further maths class. Like nobody saw except my teacher (thankfully) but I just am way too wound up from exams and I constantly feel like there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to really get everything done and it stresses me out so much.
Anyway I'm gonna try sleep off my tears (spoiler alert, it won't work)
Tá, Ailís
EdtheSnek
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by phyf)
So.. mocks are all over now!
It's so good not to have to revise (I'm gonna take a week or two off before I start going at it again for the real thing)
Had the inevitable post-exam breakdown today which was, you know, fun.
So far, I've gotten physics, geography, chemistry, music and Irish back and they're all As !!
My Irish teacher kinda annoyed me today though. After the class she called me up to her desk and was like congratulating me on my writing paper (47/50) and then started complaining about my reading (40/50-still an a??). She kept saying stuff about how I should have got an A* and that an A wasn't really good enough- bare in mind that my target grade has always been an A. It kinda just annoyed me because I really did try, it's just I find reading papers a bit more difficult. Also, it suffered because I had 3 exams that day (in the summer the most I have in one day is 2) and, as we all know by know, the old mind isn't the most happy at any given point. I feel like it wasn't really fair for her to get frustrated with me, especially considering that about 7 people in the class got a U.
Also, because of that, I ended up crying in my further maths class. Like nobody saw except my teacher (thankfully) but I just am way too wound up from exams and I constantly feel like there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to really get everything done and it stresses me out so much.
Anyway I'm gonna try sleep off my tears (spoiler alert, it won't work)
Tá, Ailís
Wow congrats on the mock results! I wish I was getting results like those right now...
I know it's an incredibly stressful time but you need to take time to chill out as well and getting slightly lower in mocks is to be expected. Keep up your hard work and the exams will go fine.
phyf
Rep:
?
Wow congrats on the mock results! I wish I was getting results like those right now...
I know it's an incredibly stressful time but you need to take time to chill out as well and getting slightly lower in mocks is to be expected. Keep up your hard work and the exams will go fine.
Thanks! Thing is, I'm really happy with my results and I'm happy that I managed to deal with my mental health a LOT better than I did last year, but it's just my Irish teacher really got on my nerves today, you know?
phyf
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm doing ok I guess..
I'm pretty bad at dealing with exams. Without a doubt.
I'm naturally good at taking exams and I can't learn anything without understanding it so I'm very good at applying my knowledge, but I'm pretty bad at dealing with stress. So, after mocks I had a couple breakdowns, to say the least.
I'm ok now tho!
So far, my mocks results are:
Chemistry: 87% A
Biology: 90% A*
Physics: 80% (A??)(grade boundaries are being lowered because the class averages were all D's and Es)
[All sciences will be added together to give me a double award grade]
Maths: 92% A*
Irish: 87/88% (A??) (I think I need an extra mark but I havent been told yet if I'm getting it)(also grade boundaries are still being decided)
Geography: 82% (A??)
Music: 83% A (scaled up from 76%)
I should get RE results tomorrow cause the teacher's back from Rome then (edit: I got a B) and God knows when I'll get English back (edit: A* in language and A in literature).
Also, I just bought my ticket to go see Hozier at Belsonic which I'm so excited about (he's really doing it for the lesbians)
Speaking of Hozier, Wasteland Baby SLAPS
Tá, Ailís
Last edited by phyf; 1 week ago
phyf
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Cád é an craic?
Just a quick life update for y'all.
So, I got all my mocks results back and I'm pretty happy with them all. Bit bummed that I only got a B in RS, considering I've been on 95%+ all year but what can you do :/ the rest are all As and A*s so I'm happy with all that.
Also, I got my M4 January maths module results on Thursday and I got an a!!! I got 178/180 uniform marks so I'm really happy )
That exam was worth 45% of my total grade so at least that's all in the bank!
I'm also trying to get into the swing of revising but I'm finding it really hard to be motivated currently. At least I did a bit of the topic na meáin shóisialta tonight so today wasn't a complete waste of effort.
In other news, I'm going to Prague with school in a week and a half for a choir competition and I'm really excited!! I'm sharing a room with one of my friends and we're both proper buzzing!!
Anyway, gotta go!
Tá Ailís
[PS I'm thinking of doing a proper post explaining my poor mental health and the causes, is that something you'd like to see?]
phyf
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
I'm crying and I need to vent
A tragedy struck my local area over the weekend and it's hard to come to terms with it.
Basically, a disco took place on St Patrick's Night in a neighbouring town, and many people I know were there. The queue outside beforehand surged and many people ended up on the ground, with more and more people piling on top of them. 3 teenagers died, one at the scene and two in hospital. While I wasn't personally there, many of my closest friends were, and the carnage and tragedy they describe is just heartbreaking. They talk of people fighting their way out of the destruction, just so they could survive. It just hit close to home because it happened at such a local event. The news reports are devastating, and the eyewitness accounts are just attrocious. The worst part is that those young people lost their lives in this crush.
I had a choir rehearsal today, and the principal came down to speak to us about it and said a prayer with us. Many people couldn't make it through this and had to leave the room. These were people who had survivors guilt, who knew the people who tragically died, who wished they were able to save them. The drama teacher (who was helping us with choir) knew one of the boys who died there and she told us the story of how they met while fighting through tears. It was a difficult day, and I think tomorrow will be worse because the full school will be in and the rumours will begin. But, we must move on, but not forget, the teenagers who lost their lives in this tragic way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (93)
16.61%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (58)
10.36%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (99)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (56)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (170)
30.36%

Watched Threads