MA Journalism: Cardiff University vs. Newcastle University?

Watch
Life_Order
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

I want to study an MA International Journalism course.

I have conditional offers from Cardiff University and Newcastle University and I don't know which one to choose. I only need to send them my bachelor degree once I receive it in the next two months.

First of all: Is there any student here who studied either and can tell me about their experience?

The Cardiff course is: MA International Journalism
The course at Newcastle University is: MA International Multimedia Journalism

I am really torn between the two since both universities score high in the Guardian League table for journalism and they both seem professional.

Cardiff: Is often ranked #1 in journalism in the UK, but the course I applied for does not necessarily count to that (my course is not NCTJ or BJCT accredited, like other Cardiff uni journalism courses)

Newcastle: Has a gold ranking from the Teaching Excellence Framework (Cardiff has silver), 95% of its students work full-time in the media within six months after graduating (69% for Cardiff according to the Guardian League table of 2019). Is also ranked higher in national rankings than Cardiff.

What I find intriguing is that Cardiff is often ranked #1 in journalism in the UK while many numbers and facts seem to speak for Newcastle. I want a course that both incorporates practical and theoretical parts, but both universities offer that.

At both university courses, students will work with "experts", but their descriptions differ:

The Cardiff course mentions "personal tutors and practical workshops", whereas Newcastle University specifically states their Civic Journalism Lab collaboration with the BBC.

Despite this, Newcastle University is often in no "top 10" or other rankings at all when it comes to journalism, while Cardiff is often at the top.

What would you recommend?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd go with Newcastle because of all the pointers towards better employability. Rankings as you are working out mean little in the grand scheme of things.
S.shokar17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
go to the one with accredited
a.f.student
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi there Tommy,

I know little about Journalism at Newcastle, but having toured Cardiff's School of Journalism, Media and Culture last month I can say that the students there seemed very happy. The Building is new (I believe they moved in only a few months ago) and the facilities were remarkable. I believe they have close ties with BBC Wales - whose Headquarters are situated literally across the square.

All this being said, my advice is go with your gut. Good Luck!
freakartika
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Both MA Journalism NCL and Cardiff are known for their close link to leading media groups, facilities/lab, research, with almost similar practical and transferable skills, however, as far as I know, NCL includes media ethics, law and role as parts of their compulsory programme while Cardiff offers more exposure on social, culture, politics, economy in their compulsory moduls. So depends on your preference.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
57.86%
I don't have everything I need (142)
42.14%

Watched Threads