Further Pure Maths HELP

Watch this thread
13gpinsonbradley
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am really stuck on this question.... can someone help?

The complex number w satisfies |w-4i| = 3
Find the maximum value of arg w in the interval (-pi,pi)
Give your answer in radians correct to 2 decimal places
Justvisited
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Look at it on an Argand diagram, and realise that this locus is a circle centre (0, 4) and radius 3.

So basically it's asking for the argument of the point where a line going through the origin is tangent to the circle on its left side.

Can you do this? Should be GCSE level maths now.
Justvisited
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Let me know if you're still stuck.
Justvisited
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
So you already know that the coordinates of the point we're looking for satisfy the equation of the circle I described, viz.

x² + (y - 4)² = 3²

Now you need to derive another equation from the constraints imposed by the definition of what we're looking for. I definitely think a geometric/visualising approach is the easiest.
Justvisited
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Next hint: since the tangent is perpendicular to the radius where they meet at the point of interest, we have a right angled triangle whose hypotenuse lies on the y axis. You can use one of the GCSE circle theorems to realise that the hypotenuse is therefore the diameter of a circle whose circumference contains the POI, and use this fact to derive another circle equation safisfied by the coordinates of the POI.
Justvisited
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Do you see that the other two corners of this triangle are the origin and the centre of the first circle, at (0, 4)?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Justvisited)
Do you see that the other two corners of this triangle are the origin and the centre of the first circle, at (0, 4)?
Might want to wait for OP to reply first ?
Justvisited
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RDKGames)
Might want to wait for OP to reply first ?
I did. See times of posts above. It's very strange they haven't bothered to check their own thread for answers. Shall we lock it?
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I did. See times of posts above. It's very strange they haven't bothered to check their own thread for answers. Shall we lock it?
No need to lock the thread.

Your first (or any subsequent) post might've been sufficient and OP already has the answer without replying -- no point posting more tips if OP doesn't respond.
Justvisited
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
No need to lock the thread.

Your first (or any subsequent) post might've been sufficient and OP already has the answer without replying -- no point posting more tips if OP doesn't respond.
Yeah. But if OP already has the answer and method there was no point in their posting!!
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yeah. But if OP already has the answer and method there was no point in their posting!!
Not sure what you mean. Nothing here suggests they had the answer and method before posting.

The scenario is quite common; OP gets a question, doesn't know how to do it, asks on here, gets a reply with a hint, OP solves it without responding to the poster and moves on.
Justvisited
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Not sure what you mean. Nothing here suggests they had the answer and method before posting.

The scenario is quite common; OP gets a question, doesn't know how to do it, asks on here, gets a reply with a hint, OP solves it without responding to the poster and moves on.
If they were utterly stuck with it to start with, I somehow doubt whether my initial response by itself would have been enough to unlock it for them.

Meanwhile, having seen quite a few of these maths threads, I don't recall any where the OP never returned after opening it, so I'm surprised that you're claiming this is common.
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
If they were utterly stuck with it to start with, I somehow doubt whether my initial response by itself would have been enough to unlock it for them.

Meanwhile, having seen quite a few of these maths threads, I don't recall any where the OP never returned after opening it, so I'm surprised that you're claiming this is common.
Having replied to thousands of these threads, it does tend to happen, so I wouldn't waste my energy replying to a possibly already dead thread until OP replies. But you do you.
13gpinsonbradley
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you. I got this far.
Sorry for the late response
Notnek
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by GBP23)
Thank you. I got this far.
Sorry for the late response
Are you saying you're still stuck? If you are, please post all your working.
Notnek
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Having replied to thousands of these threads, it does tend to happen
You're ahead in the race to 15,000 but there's still time for me...
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notnek)
You're ahead in the race to 15,000 but there's still time for me...
Is there a prize at 15,000 ?
Notnek
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Is there a prize at 15,000 ?
There better be otherwise the last 13 years have been a waste for me.
Justvisited
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Are you saying you're still stuck? If you are, please post all your working.
She PMed me to say she got there eventually, but who knows?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads