A quick chem Q on oxidation on alcohols!! HELP!!! Watch

inspired Jay
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiiii guys, pls help me, I don’t understand the answer!

The question is: Write a half equation including electrons to show the oxidation of pentan-2-ol, CH3CH(OH)CH2CH2CH3, to pentan-2-one, CH3COCH2CH2CH3

What I got is CH3CH(OH)CH2CH2CH3 ➡️ CH3COCH2CH2CH3 + 2H+ +2e-

But the answer said it should be CH3CH(OH)CH2CH2CH3 + H2O ➡️ CH3COCH2CH2CH3 + 4H+ + 4e-

I don’t get why as there are 2 Os on the left of the equation and there’s only 1 O on the right!! Is that means that you don’t count the O in bracket or the answer is just wrong??

Thanks so much!!!
Sissoue
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what is your level?
Jews
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by inspired Jay)
Hiiii guys, pls help me, I don’t understand the answer!

The question is: Write a half equation including electrons to show the oxidation of pentan-2-ol, CH3CH(OH)CH2CH2CH3, to pentan-2-one, CH3COCH2CH2CH3

What I got is CH3CH(OH)CH2CH2CH3 ➡️ CH3COCH2CH2CH3 + 2H+ +2e-

But the answer said it should be CH3CH(OH)CH2CH2CH3 + H2O ➡️ CH3COCH2CH2CH3 + 4H+ + 4e-

I don’t get why as there are 2 Os on the left of the equation and there’s only 1 O on the right!! Is that means that you don’t count the O in bracket or the answer is just wrong??

Thanks so much!!!
The oxygen in the H2O is the oxidising agent so you need that for the reaction to happen. Then you have 4 hydrogen ions which also results in 4 electrons
inspired Jay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jews)
The oxygen in the H2O is the oxidising agent so you need that for the reaction to happen. Then you have 4 hydrogen ions which also results in 4 electrons
Yes but then the equation is not balanced as the number of Os are different on both sides?
inspired Jay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sissoue)
what is your level?
Hey it’s an AS question.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because the answer is wrong, no wonder you're so confused.

H2O shouldn't even be included since the number of oxygen atoms are already balanced.
Only the hydrogen atoms need balancing, but even in the answer this is wrong; it should only be 2H+ + 2e-.
As a result, water does not act as an oxidising agent like someone mentioned. You don't include oxidising agents in an oxidation half reaction, since oxidising agents are their own species which are reduced during the reaction, and so they have their own reduction half equations. The oxidising agent would be something else, usually acidified dichromate when oxidising alcohols, but the question doesn't ask about that.

Hence the correct answer is: CH3CH(OH)CH2CH2CH3 \rightarrow CH3COCH2CH2CH3 + 2H+ + 2e-
Last edited by Kian Stevens; 1 year ago
inspired Jay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
Because the answer is wrong, no wonder you're so confused.

H2O shouldn't even be included since the number of oxygen atoms are already balanced.
Only the hydrogen atoms need balancing, but even in the answer this is wrong; it should only be 2H+ + 2e-.
As a result, water does not act as an oxidising agent like someone mentioned. You don't include oxidising agents in an oxidation half reaction, since oxidising agents are their own species which are reduced during the reaction, and so they have their own reduction half equations. The oxidising agent would be something else, usualy acidified dichromate when oxidising alcohols, but the question doesn't ask about that.

Hence the correct answer is: CH3CH(OH)CH2CH2CH3 \rightarrow CH3COCH2CH2CH3 + 2H+ + 2e-
Uhhhh thanks so much!!! I have a chem exam tomorrow so quite stressed. I knew I was right!!!
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by inspired Jay)
Uhhhh thanks so much!!! I have a chem exam tomorrow so quite stressed. I knew I was right!!!
Believe in yourself.
I wish you luck for tomorrow; the best thing you could do now though is get some rest
inspired Jay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
Believe in yourself.
I wish you luck for tomorrow; the best thing you could do now though is get some rest
I will. I am just going to sleep now, good night
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?