The Student Room Group

Can I apply for clearing with a firm choice selected?

Hi there, when I went to college in 2016 I started a L3 Creative Media Ext. Diploma. I finished this course in 2018 with a grade Distinction, but I changed my mind in my career path as I wanted to become an architect (very different, I know). My teachers told me I couldn't get in on my diploma so they told me to apply to A levels; bit annoying as I have the skills, just no qualifications to prove it.

Anyway, I was in my first year of A levels and then found out I could infact get onto Architecture courses using my diploma (go figure) so I applied to five and got accepted into two with unconditional offers (as I've already done the course). London Southbank Uni (my initial first choice) and Southampton Solent Uni. I got rejected from the University of Reading, which I've now ended up liking more than Southbank and want to try and get in through clearing, but I need to pick a firm choice by May and I don't want to be in a position where I might not go to uni at all.

So, my question is, can I apply for clearing for Reading while still having a firm choice or do I need to risk it for the biscuit and hope clearing works out?
Original post by Dom_Bugress
Hi there, when I went to college in 2016 I started a L3 Creative Media Ext. Diploma. I finished this course in 2018 with a grade Distinction, but I changed my mind in my career path as I wanted to become an architect (very different, I know). My teachers told me I couldn't get in on my diploma so they told me to apply to A levels; bit annoying as I have the skills, just no qualifications to prove it.

Anyway, I was in my first year of A levels and then found out I could infact get onto Architecture courses using my diploma (go figure) so I applied to five and got accepted into two with unconditional offers (as I've already done the course). London Southbank Uni (my initial first choice) and Southampton Solent Uni. I got rejected from the University of Reading, which I've now ended up liking more than Southbank and want to try and get in through clearing, but I need to pick a firm choice by May and I don't want to be in a position where I might not go to uni at all.

So, my question is, can I apply for clearing for Reading while still having a firm choice or do I need to risk it for the biscuit and hope clearing works out?

Why do you think Reading would change their mind about you?
I thought in clearing, you had to reject all your offers. I think your best bet is to apply through ucas adjustment or even try calling up admissions.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Why do you think Reading would change their mind about you?

At LSBU the interview was 1 on 1, but at Reading it was group interviews. 1 on 1 I was able to talk about my ideas and plans. I had a whole business pitch about how I would use my degree to better society in terms of a solution to the affordable housing crisis in London. The interview was only supposed to last 20 minutes, we were talking for an hour and a half. In the group interview, everyone was asked the same 3 questions, we were only allowed to summarise in a couple sentences, then everyone showed a couple examples from their portfolio (he asked for the piece we found most challenging and a piece we thought had a deeper meaning to it) and there was a 30 minute time period in which to do this. There isn't a single change in hell you can grasp a student's potential from a generic and strict interview formula. If the university is as good as some of its students, I'd expect them to realise that.
At LSBU the interview was 1 on 1, but at Reading it was group interviews. 1 on 1 I was able to talk about my ideas and plans. I had a whole business pitch about how I would use my degree to better society in terms of a solution to the affordable housing crisis in London. The interview was only supposed to last 20 minutes, we were talking for an hour and a half. In the group interview, everyone was asked the same 3 questions, we were only allowed to summarise in a couple sentences, then everyone showed a couple examples from their portfolio (he asked for the piece we found most challenging and a piece we thought had a deeper meaning to it) and there was a 30 minute time period in which to do this. There isn't a single change in hell you can grasp a student's potential from a generic and strict interview formula. If the university is as good as some of its students, I'd expect them to realise that.

My point is that Reading have assessed your application once and rejected you. Given that clearing generally consists of you phoning up and asking about places then there will be little chance for you to impress them.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot
My point is that Reading have assessed your application once and rejected you. Given that clearing generally consists of you phoning up and asking about places then there will be little chance for you to impress them.

Yeah that's true. What do you think my chances are of requesting and being granted a 1 to 1 interview? Does that even happen? Would that even further reduce my chances of reconsideration at clearing?
Yeah that's true. What do you think my chances are of requesting and being granted a 1 to 1 interview? Does that even happen? Would that even further reduce my chances of reconsideration at clearing?

Universities rarely reconsider candidates at the clearing stage - except perhaps if a candidate rejected for poor predicted grades actually achieves better than expected results. And I don't think I've ever heard of a candidate asking for, let alone be granted, a 1:1 interview in clearing.

It never hurts to try though!
Reply 7
That’s a really bad idea. They already rejected you once and, since your application didn’t change, they will most likely reject you again. If you really want to consider this (crazy) option then at least contact the university admission office to see if they are willing to reconsider your application or not.
And anyway, you cannot use clearing if your firm another uni.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending