GCSE Options deadline tomorrow - HELP! Watch

Realde4l
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
My daughter is currently in year 8 and has to pick her GCSE options. So far she has chosen:

English Literature
English Language
Mathematics
Combined Science
Spanish
Geography
Religious Studies

Still undecided on:
History or Hair & Beauty (which is a BTEC I think?)

Are these a good range of subjects? I'm worried about the workload.

She doesn't mind History but is obsessed with Makeup and Beauty (it's something she really enjoys doing at home in her spare time and she has a real talent for it) so it could give her a break from the more academic subjects in school, but it may not be as valuable as History in the future.

Is it a big deal if she decides to do Hair & Beauty instead of History? The deadline to submit her options is tomorrow. Please HELP!!
Last edited by Realde4l; 3 months ago
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Realde4l)
My daughter is currently in year 8 and has to pick her GCSE options. So far she has chosen:

English Literature
English Language
Mathematics
Combined Science
Spanish
Geography
Religious Studies

Still undecided on:
History or Hair & Beauty (which is a BTEC I think?)

Are these a good range of subjects? I'm worried about the workload.

She enjoys History but is obsessed with Makeup and Beauty (it's something she really enjoys doing at home in her spare time and she has a real talent for it) so it could give her a break from the more academic subjects in school, but it may not be as valuable in the future.

Is it a big deal if she decides to do Hair & Beauty instead of History? The deadline to submit her options is tomorrow. Please HELP!!
Honestly once your daughter leaves school it doesn't really matter what subjects she did as grades are more important.

If she would enjoy Hair & Beauty more and thinks she'd be able to get a better grade in it then I think she should do it. It isn't a facilitating subject but the rest of her choices are strong so it doesn't really matter.

Does she know what she wants to do in the future?
AB2907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'm a year 10 student who does History Edexcel and I honestly find it quite enjoyable and the workload isn't too much. Although, I was put in a similar situation whether to pick Geography or Music BTEC and I ended up going with Music. It balanced out the workload for my other, arguably more important, subjects and also threw in something I knew I would enjoy regardless. I'd honestly recommend for her to pick the Hair and Beauty course! Good luck to your daughter!
Idrissian
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
An A level student here - GCSE's can matter especially if your daughter is interested in studying medicine or something like that or she wants to go to oxbridge. Otherwise she has more flexibility in what choices for GCSE's. I think she should consider what she may want to go into in the future or just an idea of what field. If her ideals is nothing to do with history then taking hair and beauty could give her a subject which is less academically straining which may benefit her as she should choose the subject she most enjoys.
Last edited by Idrissian; 3 months ago
Realde4l
Rep:
?
(Original post by MinaBee)
Honestly once your daughter leaves school it doesn't really matter what subjects she did as grades are more important.

If she would enjoy Hair & Beauty more and thinks she'd be able to get a better grade in it then I think she should do it. It isn't a facilitating subject but the rest of her choices are strong so it doesn't really matter.

Does she know what she wants to do in the future?
Thank you 🙂

She intends to go into further education but is still undecided about a career path, hence keeping her options open for now.
Tolgarda
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by AB2907)
I'm a year 10 student who does History Edexcel and I honestly find it quite enjoyable and the workload isn't too much.
The workload can get to a student if they f*cking hate the periods they study. Year 12 speaking here.
d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Honestly just let her choose whatever she has an interest it and she could get the best grades in!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Realde4l
Rep:
?
(Original post by AB2907)
I'm a year 10 student who does History Edexcel and I honestly find it quite enjoyable and the workload isn't too much. Although, I was put in a similar situation whether to pick Geography or Music BTEC and I ended up going with Music. It balanced out the workload for my other, arguably more important, subjects and also threw in something I knew I would enjoy regardless. I'd honestly recommend for her to pick the Hair and Beauty course! Good luck to your daughter!
Thank you so much. She and I both agree the Hair & Beauty course should help to keep things interesting and balanced. 😊
JaredzzC
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Idrissian)
An A level student here - GCSE's can matter especially if your daughter is interested in studying medicine or something like that or she wants to go to oxbridge. Otherwise she has more flexibility in what choices for GCSE's. I think she should consider what she may want to go into in the future or just an idea of what field. If her ideals is nothing to do with history then taking hair and beauty could give her a subject which is less academically straining which may benefit her.
No they don't.
Subject choices at GCSE don't affect your likelihood of either of these cases.
Grades do matter, subject choices don't.

In fact, Cambridge put very little weighting, if any, on your GCSEs.

To the OP: She should choose whichever subjects she enjoys, feels most comfortable with, or would like to try.
She's not at a disadvantage if she chooses Hair & Beauty over History - it's going to have minimal impact for her in the future.
Idrissian
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by JaredzzC)
No they don't.

To the OP: She should choose whichever subjects she enjoys, feels most comfortable with, or would like to try.
She's not at a disadvantage if she chooses Hair & Beauty over History - it's going to have minimal impact for her in the future.
Not true mate, Oxford for medicine use the number of A*s in GCSE's as a part of there admission process. BTEC'S don't count as an A* therefore the choice between history and hair and beauty can make a difference.
Also cardiff use number of A*s aswell (only for medicine) so same story there.

I'm just being honest here, maybe cambridge don't care as much but I know oxford do.

I'm not telling her to take History as it's totally her choice but I'm letting her aware how it may limit (only a bit) her future even if its a small impact.
riannon2001
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Your daughter should definitely choose Hair & Beauty if that's what she'd prefer to do. Her other subjects are respected (not that it should matter anyway) so she won't be disadvantaged in terms of what subjects she can study later on. Quite a few people were telling me to choose triple science when I was in Year 8 and I went with Sociology instead, which has been much more useful now I'm doing my A levels and looking towards doing history at uni. Basically, don't put too much weighting on the type of qualification or how academic it is best of luck to her in her studies!
JaredzzC
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Not true mate, Oxford for medicine use the number of A*s in GCSE's as a part of there admission process. BTEC'S don't count as an A* therefore the choice between history and hair and beauty can make a difference.
Also cardiff use number of A*s aswell (only for medicine) so same story there.

I'm just being honest here, maybe cambridge don't care as much but I know oxford do.

I'm not telling her to take History as it's totally her choice but I'm letting her aware how it may limit (only a bit) her future even if its a small impact.
They have no formal GCSE requirements for medicine, mate.
https://digital.ucas.com/courses/det...9-b2755b6efcc0

Number of A*s as well as proportion of A*s, equal weight.
If they were to not count the BTEC, this would actually help the proportion.
If she chose History yet didn't do as well because she didn't enjoy it as much then that's disadvantageous, in both respects.

Can you also tell me where they explicitly say they don't accept BTECs?
If not for GCSEs, then why do they accept them for applications at undergraduate degree, either as standalone or alongside A-levels?

Too much emphasis on the technicalities.
In this case it really should just be a matter of which subjects she enjoys most, but each to their own.
Last edited by JaredzzC; 3 months ago
Idrissian
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
JaredzzC I wouldn't make up the fact that BTEC's dont count as A*s, here is an email from the oxford admission department. I am in now way telling her to take history, but I'm just mentioning something that may impact her future (even if small impact). I wish someone had told me when I was choosing my GCSE's as I would have taken a GCSE in computer science rather than BTEC ICT as I knew I was interested in going to Oxford. She should probably take what she enjoys more as she is more likely to succeed but there is no harm in telling a small warning if she was interested in Oxford, but it's totally up to her.
Attached files
JaredzzC
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
JaredzzC I wouldn't make up the fact that BTEC's dont count as A*s, here is an email from the oxford admission department. I am in now way telling her to take history, but I'm just mentioning something that may impact her future (even if small impact). I wish someone had told me when I was choosing my GCSE's as I would have taken a GCSE in computer science rather than BTEC ICT as I knew I was interested in going to Oxford. She should probably take what she enjoys more as she is more likely to succeed but there is no harm in telling a small warning if she was interested in Oxford, but it's totally up to her.
Appreciate the response and the document!
Idrissian
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Appreciate the response and the document!
Thank you, sorry if i came across rude or agressive ahahaha
JaredzzC
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you, sorry if i came across rude or agressive ahahaha
That probably applies a lot more to me than you, lol.
mnnbv
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
No they don't.

I disagree. For some Medicine universities, they do specify which GCSEs are acceptible. While I cannot speak for Oxbridge, I have applied for Medicine and done extensive research so therefore can speak on this.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Realde4l
Rep:
?
Hello again. My daughter has not shown any special interest in studying Medicine. She seems to enjoy humanities more than science which is one of the reasons she's chosen combined science not triple.

She will be studying:

English Literature
English Language
Mathematics
Combined Science
Spanish
Geography
Religious Studies
Hair & Beauty

Reserve
ICT (iMedia)
Business Studies

Some very useful information on here so I thank you all so much for your contribution. I really appreciate everyone's input. Different points of view are always welcome 😊
Last edited by Realde4l; 3 months ago
Realde4l
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello just a quick update. My daughter has been told she can't do the Hair & Beauty course because it doesn't fit in with the timetable so she's been given three alternative choices (not any of her reserve subjects which were Business Studies or ICT iMedia). She must choose one of the following subjects:

Art & Design
Child Development (Level 2 Tech Award)
Sociology

She's not sure which subject to choose or which would fit in nicely with her other choices. I will call the school in the morning to find out why she wasn't offered any of her reserve choices.
Last edited by Realde4l; 1 month ago
AB2907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Realde4l)
Hello just a quick update. My daughter has been told she can't do the Hair & Beauty course because it doesn't fit in with the timetable so she's been given three alternative choices (not any of her reserve subjects which were Business Studies or ICT iMedia). She must choose one of the following subjects:

Art & Design
Child Development (Level 2 Tech Award)
Sociology

She's not sure which subject to choose or which would fit in nicely with her other choices. I will call the school in the morning to find out why she wasn't offered any of her reserve choices.
It's an unfortunate situation she's been put in but at this point she should just pick the subject she would enjoy the most.

From what I've seen, Art & Design is a huge commitment and a majority of Art students are always moaning about how it drains their time for other subjects. Personally, I would advise her against picking the subject.

I'm not too familiar with the Child Development course.

Sociology is essay-based, since she didn't opt for History it would be a strong alternative which would allow her to develop essay-writing skills which are transferable between subjects. My school didn't offer Sociology although I would've certainly opted for it if it had been an option. So I'd recommend Sociology. Good luck with options!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?