How do you revise English Literature??

Watch
username4153272
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How do you revise for english literature because I look in the revision guide and I have no clue because I don't know how I should be writing my notes and what to do for different themes
sophswfc4
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I also found English revision incredibly difficult to structure. Here are 3 techniques I used:

-Flashcards: I swore by flashcards at GCSE as the small amount of information on them is easy to retain and recall (I found anyway) in exams. Write down a character from your book/play on one side OR a theme and several KEY quotes that they say/ is important to that theme on the reverse of the card. Ask a family member to go through them with you or just go through and say your answers ALOUD yourself or write them out, as if like a little quiz.

-Mindmaps: I LOATHE mindmaps usually. But, for situations like this they are helpful. Write your character/a theme/a chapter/act/a quote in the centre and use your notes to annotate key things about each of them, key quotes to support your arguments and you can even structure them like a PEED paragraph.

-Blurting: this is last as it requires you to have done some prior revision. Pick a topic (perhaps one that you think could appear on the exam, or ask your teacher as they're usually good at predicting; my English teacher predicted to the letter what would come up on both Romeo and Juliet and Jekyll and Hyde!) and write down every single thing you can from memory about it. When you get good at this, try formulating it logically into a paragraph of some kind, like a practice question kind of scenario. Practice is KEY!!!!

Finally, I hated English revision. I hated doing practice questions as I found it mundane and boring, but stick at it! I got 9s in both, and you probably can too. Good luck!
JRBUCH16
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did all of the above and would definitely recommend doing the same. I also wrote out many practice essays in advance, especially for poetry as it helped me learn what was useful memorising and what wasn't, then took all my essays to my teacher who marked them and I'd improve them until I got a high mark and then learnt the points I'd used. In my exams the questions I was given I had already written essays on so knew exactly what I was doing
Zabidoo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sophswfc4)
I also found English revision incredibly difficult to structure. Here are 3 techniques I used:

-Flashcards: I swore by flashcards at GCSE as the small amount of information on them is easy to retain and recall (I found anyway) in exams. Write down a character from your book/play on one side OR a theme and several KEY quotes that they say/ is important to that theme on the reverse of the card. Ask a family member to go through them with you or just go through and say your answers ALOUD yourself or write them out, as if like a little quiz.

-Mindmaps: I LOATHE mindmaps usually. But, for situations like this they are helpful. Write your character/a theme/a chapter/act/a quote in the centre and use your notes to annotate key things about each of them, key quotes to support your arguments and you can even structure them like a PEED paragraph.

-Blurting: this is last as it requires you to have done some prior revision. Pick a topic (perhaps one that you think could appear on the exam, or ask your teacher as they're usually good at predicting; my English teacher predicted to the letter what would come up on both Romeo and Juliet and Jekyll and Hyde!) and write down every single thing you can from memory about it. When you get good at this, try formulating it logically into a paragraph of some kind, like a practice question kind of scenario. Practice is KEY!!!!

Finally, I hated English revision. I hated doing practice questions as I found it mundane and boring, but stick at it! I got 9s in both, and you probably can too. Good luck!
To people looking to get high grades in english lit, use these techniques!
I didn't do this, but I got a grade 7 becuz my writing is good (I practice the questions as much as I can) but if I had remembered more quotes and content of the texts I cudve easily got an 8 or 9
( I moved school in yr 10 and hadn't learnt a single text they had but somehow still got the grade, so I assume it's from my writing becuz I literally read jekyll and hyde the day before)

So the 2 things u need to do:
-Use the given techniques to revise content
-Practise the questions (learn how to answer them and what things not to do) make sure ur always answering the question!!

Also listen to ur teachers advice and Good Luck 😊
sophswfc4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I forgot to mention writing out essays!! This is such a good idea (Original post by JRBUCH16)I did all of the above and would definitely recommend doing the same. I also wrote out many practice essays in advance, especially for poetry as it helped me learn what was useful memorising and what wasn't, then took all my essays to my teacher who marked them and I'd improve them until I got a high mark and then learnt the points I'd used. In my exams the questions I was given I had already written essays on so knew exactly what I was doing
username4153272
Rep:
?
I forgot to mention writing out essays!! This is such a good idea (Original post by JRBUCH16)I did all of the above and would definitely recommend doing the same. I also wrote out many practice essays in advance, especially for poetry as it helped me learn what was useful memorising and what wasn't, then took all my essays to my teacher who marked them and I'd improve them until I got a high mark and then learnt the points I'd used. In my exams the questions I was given I had already written essays on so knew exactly what I was doing
Thanks for the advice and well done for getting 9s that's so good!! ☺️
Where did you get the essay questions from?
How did you revise english language because you can't learn quotes or context for that and I'm so bad at analysing
sophswfc4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thankyou!
My teacher used to give us some as homework/revision materials and some I formulated myself (eg. using themes/certain characters as the subject of the question). If you ask, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give you some!
English language is a bit different. Use as many past papers as you can (thats really the only way for the reading section). If you dont understand how to answer one of the questions (questions 3 and 4 were always my downfalls), the Mr Bruff videos are very helpful! Watch the video through once, and then again but this time take notes. Then try some practice questions and give them to your teacher and keep practicing. I used to HATE doing exam questions, but this is really the only way to learn. As for the creative writing sections, find random topics online and practice doing both stories and descriptions about said topic (as the options on the paper could be 2x description, 2x story or 1x each, its best to be prepared!). Obviously pick the one you're worst at and practice that the most. Ensure your vocabulary is good but that it contextually fits!!! Thats one of the biggest issues with creative writing; using words that are far too grandiose (like that ). If you need anymore help let me know!!
(Original post by secret.user)Thanks for the advice and well done for getting 9s that's so good!! ☺️
How did you revise english language because you can't learn quotes or context for that and I'm so bad at analysing
username4153272
Rep:
?
Thankyou!
My teacher used to give us some as homework/revision materials and some I formulated myself (eg. using themes/certain characters as the subject of the question). If you ask, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give you some!
English language is a bit different. Use as many past papers as you can (thats really the only way for the reading section). If you dont understand how to answer one of the questions (questions 3 and 4 were always my downfalls), the Mr Bruff videos are very helpful! Watch the video through once, and then again but this time take notes. Then try some practice questions and give them to your teacher and keep practicing. I used to HATE doing exam questions, but this is really the only way to learn. As for the creative writing sections, find random topics online and practice doing both stories and descriptions about said topic (as the options on the paper could be 2x description, 2x story or 1x each, its best to be prepared!). Obviously pick the one you're worst at and practice that the most. Ensure your vocabulary is good but that it contextually fits!!! Thats one of the biggest issues with creative writing; using words that are far too grandiose (like that ). If you need anymore help let me know!!
(Original post by secret.user)Thanks for the advice and well done for getting 9s that's so good!! ☺️
Thank you so much!!!
Your advice is very useful 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.32%
Uncertainty around my education (65)
11.52%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.7%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.3%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (32)
5.67%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (28)
4.96%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (60)
10.64%
Financial worries (35)
6.21%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (22)
3.9%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.03%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.66%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (56)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (46)
8.16%

Watched Threads