What to do with car when at uni? Watch

BBx2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
If you have a car & don’t take it to uni, what do you do regarding insurance? Obviously it still needs to be insured & will still be driven during holidays, but insurance for young drivers is so expensive to be sitting unused most of the time. Would it be better to insure under parents insurance & add students as temporary named drivers? Or continue to pay young persons insurance & gain No Claims?
What do others do?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Snoozinghamster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BBx2)
If you have a car & don’t take it to uni, what do you do regarding insurance? Obviously it still needs to be insured & will still be driven during holidays, but insurance for young drivers is so expensive to be sitting unused most of the time. Would it be better to insure under parents insurance & add students as temporary named drivers? Or continue to pay young persons insurance & gain No Claims?
What do others do?
Mine is sitting at home, still under my name. The insurance isn’t too (in the scheme of things) bad as it’s on multi car so there was a decent discount and I’ve got my first years ncb already. My friends who were driving a parents car have all just been taken off the insurance. (It was cheaper for me to have my own cheap car than be added to my parents insurance, hence why I ended up with my own car)
Doones
  • Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BBx2)
What do others do?
If you are the main driver you need to be insured as such.

I'd hazard that most students don't own a car.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BBx2
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
It’s currently a shared car used by 2 young drivers mainly, insured under one young driver with the rest of the family as named drivers. While at uni it’s unlikely that it’s going to be used other than during holidays. Seems a shame to get rid of it as it’s a rural area so would still be needed for a few months a year.
Aaron702
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by BBx2)
What do others do?
SORN it and keep it on a drive/in a garage. Put your parents as the main driver.

To be honest your insurance will never go down by much until you get that NCB, so it's probably worthwhile just to keep it insured even if you're not using it.
Acsel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
First Year: I was living in halls so couldn't take my car. Kept it insured, left it at home. My brother took it out occasionally to keep it running and I used it when I was back during holidays, summer, etc.

Second Year: In private accommodation, took my car and used it weekly for shopping.

Third Year (current): On placement, having a car is really important for me

Fourth Year (next year): Will be selling my car after my placement finshes. I'll be living in a flat with no decent parking, so taking the car is only a partial option. The cost involved with leaving it at home during first year was stupid, and the cost of bringing it with me during second year didn't justify the convenience it offered. I'll sell it, put the money in the bank and save £500+ in running costs. As someone who had a car at uni and both left it at home and took it with me, I can say it was a monumental waste of money. Unless you can afford it, and having the car offers a substantial improvement to your quality of life, I wouldn't even bother owning a car as a uni student.
Moments
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I went on my parents throughout college.

Sure you start your no claims collection later but put it this way; £1500 a year hurts way more as a student than it does when you’re working and earning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads