Can I change all my a level options upon start date at sixth form?

Watch
Fosbourne85
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently in year 11 and when applying to various sixth forms I put down that I wanted to study chemistry, biology and maths. I’m terrible at maths as I got a 5 so therefore I’m optimistic about getting a good grade for a level and I need it to study chemistry . I was really starting to become interested in medicine or studying pure chemistry but now I don’t think I want to, I’m still really confused.
I’m thinking of changing my options totally to things like English and languages because I actually really enjoy them.
I’m worried now that I’ve applied I can’t go back on my options.
Thanks.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fosbourne85)
I’m currently in year 11 and when applying to various sixth forms I put down that I wanted to study chemistry, biology and maths. I’m terrible at maths as I got a 5 so therefore I’m optimistic about getting a good grade for a level and I need it to study chemistry . I was really starting to become interested in medicine or studying pure chemistry but now I don’t think I want to, I’m still really confused.
I’m thinking of changing my options totally to things like English and languages because I actually really enjoy them.
Thanks.
You will be able to change your choices at enrolment but what you are able to select will depend on how well you do at gcse, which subjects have space in the classes and which options fit with the timetable.
JustOneMoreThing
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have plenty of time, you could change them now, as long as you’ve gotten the offer that is, I changed my options several times before starting.
dramaqueen2805
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Fosbourne85)
Thanks.

Having just applied for chemistry courses I can confidently tell you that maths is not an a-level requirement for university. A majority of Chemistry course requirements are Chemistry at Alevel and one other hard science (biology, maths or physics) as well as a 5/6 in GCSE maths depending on the university.

I would definitely recommend doing two sciences with an essay subject from personal experience though as it definitely opens a lot of doors when applying to universities and gives you a more flexible and mature writing style.

On the point of being able to change your choices most schools will give you up until Christmas of year 12 to change your options, provided that they align with your timetable.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
username3539714
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can change your options. I changed 2/3 of mine 3 days before sixth form started (I don't know what went through my head) and changed them straight back to the original options 1 week in hahaha
Fosbourne85
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
You will be able to change your choices at enrolment but what you are able to select will depend on how well you do at gcse, which subjects have space in the classes and which options fit with the timetable.
Thanks 🙂
Fosbourne85
Rep:
?
(Original post by dramaqueen2805)
Having just applied for chemistry courses I can confidently tell you that maths is not an a-level requirement for university. A majority of Chemistry course requirements are Chemistry at Alevel and one other hard science (biology, maths or physics) as well as a 5/6 in GCSE maths depending on the university.

I would definitely recommend doing two sciences with an essay subject from personal experience though as it definitely opens a lot of doors when applying to universities and gives you a more flexible and mature writing style.

On the point of being able to change your choices most schools will give you up until Christmas of year 12 to change your options, provided that they align with your timetable.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
Thanks 🙂
Fosbourne85
Rep:
?
(Original post by AM_TSR)
You can change your options. I changed 2/3 of mine 3 days before sixth form started (I don't know what went through my head) and changed them straight back to the original options 1 week in hahaha
Thanks 🙂
Fosbourne85
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheNamesBond.)
You have plenty of time, you could change them now, as long as you’ve gotten the offer that is, I changed my options several times before starting.
Thanks 🙂
----_----
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can change them now, when you enroll and in most schools you can change it in the first few weeks of term
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (403)
56.36%
I don't have everything I need (312)
43.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed