The Student Room Group

Is my application competitive for medicine undergrad?

Hi!
I'm an International Student currently taking the International GCSEs (CIE) and I took 6 subjects in total;

1. English as First Language: A*
2. Mathematics: A*
3. French as a Foreign Language: A*
4. Physics: A*
5. Chemistry: A*
6. Biology: A*

It is later that I realised I've taken very little subjects, the general number being 8-9. Moreover, due to my limited IGCSEs, I have only taken 3 AS Subjects (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) as opposed to the general 4. I will of course continue all the three to the A2 level, where I am hoping for A*A*A*.

As for extracurriculars, I've been on the student council for the past 3-4 years and apart from that, I love playing football. I'm also doing my Silver DofE Award, and of course plan to have some work experience along with voluntary work.

I'm worried my application isn't competitive enough, considering my low number of IGCSEs and only 3 subjects at AS and A Level. What do you think? Should I take another subject, perhaps do an EPQ? Should I focus more on some extra curriculars?

Also; how do you think I can show that I go beyond the curriculum and actually have a passion for medicine - an EPQ seems like a lot of work. I could perhaps read some books, but will that be strong enough to show that I have read and explored the vocation?

Ahh I'm sorry, I know this is too long, thanks for reading. It's just that I'm worried my application won't look good enough. What extra things could I do to enhance my application, apart from an EPQ perhaps?
(edited 5 years ago)
You only need 3 subjects at AS/A level
Reading books can be useful
I'd get some good voluntary experience and some work experience and make up for what you lack for in GCSE's with a good UKCAT score so you could apply to less GCSE heavy unis
Reply 2
Original post by AzureCeleste
You only need 3 subjects at AS/A level
Reading books can be useful
I'd get some good voluntary experience and some work experience and make up for what you lack for in GCSE's with a good UKCAT score so you could apply to less GCSE heavy unis

Thanks for your reply. Just a couple of follow-up questions on voluntary experience and work:

1. Do you think I should consistently volunteer at one place for say 6 months or perhaps do little bits of voluntary work here and there? What all voluntary work did you do? Did you do it in Year 12 or Year 13?

2. How long does the work experience have to be? Generally I've read it lasts for two to three weeks.

Really appreciate your help :smile:
Original post by qwert7890
Thanks for your reply. Just a couple of follow-up questions on voluntary experience and work:

1. Do you think I should consistently volunteer at one place for say 6 months or perhaps do little bits of voluntary work here and there? What all voluntary work did you do? Did you do it in Year 12 or Year 13?

2. How long does the work experience have to be? Generally I've read it lasts for two to three weeks.

Really appreciate your help :smile:

1. Try and get some long term volunteering-it looks better. I volunteered at a variety of places but they were all long term- one place was for a year and a half which I began in year 11 and continued throughout year 12. I began volunteering in another place in year 13 (just because I wanted to) throughout it. I would recommend doing it for year 12 and 13 as it shows long term commitment plus if you don't get in in year 13 then it shows you are still commited
2. For work experience 1 week is sufficient- you will have plenty to talk about. I personally ended up doing 2 (2 x 1 week) but I could have easily only done one of the placements and still had a never ending list of things to mention

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending