The Student Room Group

Things went wrong, any advice?

To make a long story short; I missed the courses that I wanted to do at 6th form by one grade and I am now doing things that I do not want to take further, nor do I care about them. I feel as if the course of my life has been altered for the worse, and there is nothing that I can do because it is too late to resit. My 'plan B' I suppose was to apply to become an officer in the Royal Marines, however, a permanently disqualifying illness was discovered which means that I am ineligible for service. I just have a bad feeling that I'm going to end up doing nothing for the rest of my life and can't really see a way out. Any advice?
Original post by JoshuaRussell16
To make a long story short; I missed the courses that I wanted to do at 6th form by one grade and I am now doing things that I do not want to take further, nor do I care about them. I feel as if the course of my life has been altered for the worse, and there is nothing that I can do because it is too late to resit. My 'plan B' I suppose was to apply to become an officer in the Royal Marines, however, a permanently disqualifying illness was discovered which means that I am ineligible for service. I just have a bad feeling that I'm going to end up doing nothing for the rest of my life and can't really see a way out. Any advice?

What courses did you want to do at sixth form and what are you doing now? Are you able to do the courses elsewhere with your grades?
Reply 2
Original post by cheesecakelove
What courses did you want to do at sixth form and what are you doing now? Are you able to do the courses elsewhere with your grades?

I wanted to do all three sciences, I am now doing English, Economics and ancient history and no.

This is really cheesy but honestly, it is never too late to follow your dreams!

It depends how much of a rush you are in. You say it is too late to resit but I'm sure it's not beyond the realms of possibilities. I say this because I know aspiring teacher friends who at the age of 22 have been resitting their maths GCSE alongside their studies.

Also, when I was at Uni, I had Mature students on my course without A levels who had done something called an access course to get onto their desired course at University and follow their dreams.

If you are prepared to be a year behind or take a year out then, whilst I can't give you any concrete advice, it will be possible somehow. You'll need to go and speak to an official advisor somewhere at college.

If the sciences really are your passion and not following this will be something you'll live to regret, take a deep breath, work hard and don't feel you need to follow the same timelines as everyone else. Go get it!! and good luck :smile:
I wanted to do all three sciences, I am now doing English, Economics and ancient history and no.

Is it worth resitting your GCSEs to get the grades to be able to study the sciences? It will mean more time on education, but if the three sciences is what you truly want to do (and you can't find another college), this is an option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending