is it too late to change my subjects? Watch

sophiefsanders
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
i am currently 6 months in to a levels and wanting to change my subjects.
i do psychology, geography and english literature and would really like to drop the latter for biology (AQA) instead.
is this doable?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by sophiefsanders)
i am currently 6 months in to a levels and wanting to change my subjects.
i do psychology, geography and english literature and would really like to drop the latter for biology (AQA) instead.
is this doable?
Only if you redo year 12. You are highly unlikely to catch up otherwise. they normally start saying no from 6 weeks into term. You are 6 months in.
Sophie.cerys
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I do know people that changed subjects this late in, but having done AS (and A2) biology I can't image having 6 months of it to catch up on. I agree with the person above, in the case of biology I think you'd have to redo year 12. But if you have strong reasons for swapping (e.g. need biology to get into uni) then redoing y12 would be a very good option. I know someone who continued till the end of year 12, then completely changed his mind about the subjects he wanted to study and so redid y12 with different subjects. It's much better to change subjects now and spend another year doing exams than continue doing one you hate for the next year and a half (also would mean you could have a more relaxed sixth form experience which is always a good thing!).
sophiefsanders
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Re-doing year 12 isn’t an option as I am not interested in spending another year at school 😂. I am thinking that I could finish year 12 English but start biology now and then carry that forward whilst having a tutor in the meantime to catch me up on what I have missed
iseesparksfly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Redo year 12 if it means that much to you, there's no chance you'll catch up, especially with biology.
iseesparksfly
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Re-doing year 12 isn’t an option as I am not interested in spending another year at school 😂. I am thinking that I could finish year 12 English but start biology now and then carry that forward whilst having a tutor in the meantime to catch me up on what I have missed
Take it from someone who has done A Level biology, it's not worth trying to catch up. If you do it now, you'll get nothing above an E and it will dishearten you. Just spend another year at school, what difference does it make to your life?
999tigger
Report 11 months ago
Its entirely up to the school. Nothing to lose but I doubt they will be interested. Its unclear what you want to do and what your aim is. Id have thought the smart move is to redo year 12. I dont think you fully appreciate your situation and whats possible. better to take advantage if education whilst its free for the benefit of your future.
Sheperd23
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Its entirely up to the school. Nothing to lose but I doubt they will be interested. Its unclear what you want to do and what your aim is. Id have thought the smart move is to redo year 12. I dont think you fully appreciate your situation and whats possible. better to take advantage if education whilst its free for the benefit of your future.
Hey, could i PM you about a similar situation? I've been stressing over this for a long while
999tigger
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Kangaroo17)
Hey, could i PM you about a similar situation? I've been stressing over this for a long while
yes thats fine if you do it quick I will answer before I go to sleep.
Alishaa_266
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
i do maths,physics and chemistry. does anyone here do computer science A level and would it be too difficult for me to drop physics and take computing instead now?
Sheperd23
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
yes thats fine if you do it quick I will answer before I go to sleep.
ill send it tmw. thanks!
AnalyticalPrism
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I do A-level biology and also in year 12. I was in a similar situation to you except I really wanted to do further maths, but up unitil january I was doing chemistry. Now I despise chemistry greatly, but at the beginning had convinced myself I ‘needed’ it. Basically because I didn’t like it so much I barely worked for it and in xmas break tried getting something, anything done for it. It was then I realised how I could t continue. On my first day back to sixth form in january, I went straight to the head of maths (as I had a strong feeling my head of year would be against it) and he, after speaking to my maths teacher actually agreed to let me do it. Its been like a month and a half, and im almost nearly caught up with everything I missed on my own, and this is further maths so isnt easy (not tryna brag but just for context). This was ofcourse alongside keeping up with my other a levels ( I do 4 btw). Biology is only hard for the workload, I think what you missed so far isnt SO overly difficult to grasp an understanding of. Go to the head of science, or head of biology, or maybe a science teacher you know to make things easier. At my sixthform they do intervention classes - basically going over stuff from class, see if theres anything like that. You will have to grind hard tho, lemme warn you for at least 2 months. Just make sure youve done before the summer mocks, at least try my friend, and try hard to persuade them. Oh and before you go do some of the work- then you can say ive already started learning the work- I did! Good luck ma friend
iseesparksfly
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Nothing to lose? She will lose her overall grade
Sheperd23
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by iseesparksfly)
I do agree with your view in OP’s situation - he does subjects that don’t have a common link to biology (no maths chem). But just wondering, as an FM student, and a brother who’s doing A2 bio, could I cope doing bio now? This is not affirmative just speculative. I’ve done some small ‘catching up’ with his textbook just Incase I’m sure I want to change. I know it seems silly, but I’ve been dreading the a level subject choice making from yr 11 ...
999tigger
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by iseesparksfly)
Sorry I now see there is some ambiguity because its unclear what they want to change. The OP says subejctS , but then mentions only 1. I assumed she meant all 3 or more than 1.

Nothing to lose referred to asking for the switch.

In any event a failing grade in a disliked subject isnt much of a loss and could be a burden.
Edminzodo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You can see if you can do it all in one year next year, but be warned, it will be difficult.
mr_carrot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You could do a foundation year instead to convert - for example, Manchester run one that covers A-Level Biology, Chemistry and Maths.

https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...undation-year/
Youngkeynes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
depends on several things such as does ur school sit the AS exams,if you are an absolute workhorse you could because its examined at the end of the 2 years you could bang out catch up over summer but requires a lot of self motivation and discipline depends how much you truly wanna do it and if you trust yourself to see it through
Historynerd101
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You could start biology now and spend your summer holidays really focusing on biology and teaching yourself the first year content as much as possible. It's a big decision and will take up a large part of your summer if you don't want to be too far behind by the start of year 13.
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
At the end of the day, you'd have to ask. But the school isn't likely to be enthused by the idea. Mine was hellish about me trying to change an optional GCSE late.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgrad open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (225)
67.57%
No (108)
32.43%

Watched Threads