The Student Room Group

is it too late to change my subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I'm seriously considering these A-levels, as well as music. And im deciding between geography and English. Could you tell me why you want to drop English?!
If I were you I'd go and speak to your head of year, they may let you if you promise to go mad over the summer?! or you could do it outside of school as a private candidate, and get entered by the school?! I'd ask ASAP the later you leave the worse it will become to swap. what did you get in GCSE biology? Could you speak to the head of bio?! i'm sure they must be other cases where this has occurred! good luck!
Original post by Alishaa_266
i do maths,physics and chemistry. does anyone here do computer science A level and would it be too difficult for me to drop physics and take computing instead now?

Mate I would take physics anyday
Original post by sophiefsanders
i am currently 6 months in to a levels and wanting to change my subjects.
i do psychology, geography and english literature and would really like to drop the latter for biology (AQA) instead.
is this doable?

Lol , I'm afraid not. Unless you work extremely hard because you would have to catch up a lot with the course. If your current work ethic is inadequate your school may be reluctant to switch your subjects.
so glad i found this thread. NOT TOO LATE. CHANGE NOW!!!! u don't REALIZE how long another year and a few months is!!!!! seriously change it!!! i was so happy with my subject change!! read thru my threads-- i changed in MARCH. im so happy and top of the class in that subject but biology is a LOT of content! seriously PM me so i can help u with managing it all when everyone seems to be so pessimistic about managing biology now.
Original post by ggxsywes
so glad i found this thread. NOT TOO LATE. CHANGE NOW!!!! u don't REALIZE how long another year and a few months is!!!!! seriously change it!!! i was so happy with my subject change!! read thru my threads-- i changed in MARCH. im so happy and top of the class in that subject now :smile: but biology is a LOT of content! seriously PM me so i can help u with managing it all when everyone seems to be so pessimistic about managing biology.

anything is possible. i forced my teachers and now im aiming for an A*/A. u will not fail, trust me. don't think of it as "6 months of catching up" think of it as "2 out of 4 topics of catching up" i can tutor u for free, i'll be happy to. i do biology,year 13
Original post by AnalyticalPrism
I do A-level biology and also in year 12. I was in a similar situation to you except I really wanted to do further maths, but up unitil january I was doing chemistry. Now I despise chemistry greatly, but at the beginning had convinced myself I ‘needed’ it. Basically because I didn’t like it so much I barely worked for it and in xmas break tried getting something, anything done for it. It was then I realised how I could t continue. On my first day back to sixth form in january, I went straight to the head of maths (as I had a strong feeling my head of year would be against it) and he, after speaking to my maths teacher actually agreed to let me do it. Its been like a month and a half, and im almost nearly caught up with everything I missed on my own, and this is further maths so isnt easy (not tryna brag but just for context). This was ofcourse alongside keeping up with my other a levels ( I do 4 btw). Biology is only hard for the workload, I think what you missed so far isnt SO overly difficult to grasp an understanding of. Go to the head of science, or head of biology, or maybe a science teacher you know to make things easier. At my sixthform they do intervention classes - basically going over stuff from class, see if theres anything like that. You will have to grind hard tho, lemme warn you for at least 2 months. Just make sure youve done before the summer mocks, at least try my friend, and try hard to persuade them. Oh and before you go do some of the work- then you can say ive already started learning the work- I did! Good luck ma friend

YASSSSSS I TOTALLY AGREE and im so happy for u!!! BUT how could u drop BEAUTIFUL chemistry >: ( joking hhahah

I ALSO DID WORK B4 JOINING THEM SO I CAN BE LIKE "yo i know everything let me in" lool
so glad i found this thread. NOT TOO LATE. CHANGE NOW!!!! u don't REALIZE how long another year and a few months is!!!!! seriously change it!!! i was so happy with my subject change!! read thru my threads-- i changed in MARCH. im so happy and top of the class in that subject but biology is a LOT of content! seriously PM me so i can help u with managing it all when everyone seems to be so pessimistic about managing biology now.

GURL YOU ARE MY SUCCESS STORY THANK YOU! :hugs:
I'm doing biology in year 12 atm and let me tell you it is so much work and effort. but if you have the right work ethic - and I mean you MUST be catching up in your frees and on weekends etc. bc so much has been taught to us in just 6 months - then change. if you don't then it is unlikely you'll pass (sounds harsh but its the truth). only you know your work ethic and if you know you just wont be bothered catching up and consolidating until year 13 a couple months before exams, do not switch.
Original post by sophiefsanders
i am currently 6 months in to a levels and wanting to change my subjects.
i do psychology, geography and english literature and would really like to drop the latter for biology (AQA) instead.
is this doable?

It will depend on the school but if it's what you want really push for it. I was able to change from psychology to chemistry at the end of Year 12, using the summer to catch up (wasn't much of a summer). So it will be hard work and it can impact your grades (did mine for a while), but if you play the long game you will catch up with everything eventually. If you're not happy with your current subjects then there isn't much point doing them, switch while you can.
Original post by Alishaa_266
i do maths,physics and chemistry. does anyone here do computer science A level and would it be too difficult for me to drop physics and take computing instead now?

I do computing, i wouldnt recommenchangingng it when you already a few months in. I find it the most difficult subject, since there is a lot to remeber and can get rather boring.
Original post by Anon438717
It will depend on the school but if it's what you want really push for it. I was able to change from psychology to chemistry at the end of Year 12, using the summer to catch up (wasn't much of a summer). So it will be hard work and it can impact your grades (did mine for a while), but if you play the long game you will catch up with everything eventually. If you're not happy with your current subjects then there isn't much point doing them, switch while you can.

Wow really? Chemistry is apparently the hardest a level.
Original post by Kangaroo17
GURL YOU ARE MY SUCCESS STORY THANK YOU! :hugs:

BTW I changed to psychology not biology. I already did biology.
BTW I changed to psychology not biology. I already did biology.

oh

Quick Reply

Latest